Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting ease with a 9' rod compared to a 10' rod?

Message Subject: Casting ease with a 9' rod compared to a 10' rod?
Weiseyyy
Posted 4/22/2023 6:29 PM (#1020133)
Subject: Casting ease with a 9' rod compared to a 10' rod?

Hello!

Just outta curiosity, I got a question for the guys that love throwing big rubber:

Have you guys ever compared the ease of casting big rubber between a 9' rod and a 10' rod before? Assuming both rods are XXHs and are build to cast the big stuff, like pounders and bigger, would the 10' rod make the load "feel lighter" in essence?

I currently have a 9' XXH Thorne Bros Predator and love it so far (I would have went longer, but due to several factors, the 9' was what I ended up with), but I've been wondering if a longer rod would be worth the change or not, ya know? I guess I'm asking if casting big baits with a shorter rod is harder than it would be with a longer rod.

I appreciate any input at all. Just something I've been pondering.

Thanks,
Alex
RyanJoz
Posted 4/22/2023 10:56 PM (#1020137 - in reply to #1020133)
Subject: Re: Casting ease with a 9' rod compared to a 10' rod?

Longer rods are harder. Have used 8.5, 9, and 10. 9-9.5 is the sweet spot for me. 10 if I were 25 again.
Ogandrews
Posted 4/23/2023 11:38 AM (#1020150 - in reply to #1020133)

Personally I find it significantly easier to throw big rubber on a 10 vs a 9. Used to have a predator xxh but even the 1.5 pounder and monster Medusa I prefer throwing on the 10’xh predator. To me it is easier to cast the big stuff with a longer rod because it’s a longer lever. Same with working the baits, takes less arm movement to pull the bait the same distance in the water. End of the day it’s personal preference to whatever you are comfortable with.
nar160
Posted 4/23/2023 11:43 AM (#1020151 - in reply to #1020133)

I prefer 10' over 9', but not because of casting ease - big wide and deep figure 8s are easier with a 10' rod. I didn't really notice a big difference in casting ease, but the mechanics of a longer lever imply more torque (and less angular speed) is required for the same bait exit speed.

My experience is with pounders and under, so it overlaps slightly with what you are asking. For those really heavy baits the effect may be more dramatic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)