Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What lures do you guys usually use

What lures do you guys usually use
OptionResults
Single bladed bucktails9 Votes - [9.28%]
double bladed bucktails16 Votes - [16.49%]
crankbaits10 Votes - [10.31%]
jerkbaits9 Votes - [9.28%]
glidebaits14 Votes - [14.43%]
swimbaits7 Votes - [7.22%]
rubber16 Votes - [16.49%]
topwater10 Votes - [10.31%]
live bait2 Votes - [2.06%]
other4 Votes - [4.12%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

Message Subject: What lures do you guys usually use
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 4/22/2023 10:39 AM (#1020116)
Subject: What lures do you guys usually use

I'm looking to get some materials to make some bucktails, but I wanted to know what other lures people like using. Up until now, I've always used jerkbaits, crankbaits, and swimbaits, but now I'm considering bucktails because of how popular they are. What lures do you guys mostly use? (Note that my lake is relatively stained, I can see about 2 feet into the water, maybe 3-4 in some spots.
southern comfort
Posted 4/22/2023 11:03 AM (#1020117 - in reply to #1020116)
Subject: RE: What lures do you guys usually use

Really depends but on the average ... overall over the course of a year it would be double blades for me. Having said that size of bucktails,, blades and materials change significantly depending on spring, summer or fall, time of day/night and what the weather is doing.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 4/22/2023 11:41 AM (#1020121 - in reply to #1020116)
Subject: Re: What lures do you guys usually use

I tried throwing a spinner. Had so many problems with it I never went back to it. Swimbait, rubber lures I make, and glides. I’ve been trying this whopper ploppers for a topwater. Nothing yet.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/22/2023 12:46 PM (#1020127 - in reply to #1020121)

With that low visability in the water you experience, is all the more reason why that blade bait will help call fish in…
I build all my own bucktails and spinnerbaits. Only manufactured bucktail I may use is a Mepps, otherwise everything else is Custom made. Catch many fish on them.

Build my own Custom Topwaters, Splashtail, Headbanger, and Prop styles.

Probably most fish I catch in a season is on Crankbaits!

JD

jdsplasher
Posted 4/22/2023 12:47 PM (#1020128 - in reply to #1020121)

Delete
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 4/23/2023 7:05 AM (#1020138 - in reply to #1020127)

jdsplasher - 4/22/2023 12:46 PM

With that low visability in the water you experience, is all the more reason why that blade bait will help call fish in…
I build all my own bucktails and spinnerbaits. Only manufactured bucktail I may use is a Mepps, otherwise everything else is Custom made. Catch many fish on them.

JD

I'm looking at getting some things to make bucktails. Do you think I should use single or double blades? Colorado, willow, indiana, etc.? Size 8? 8/9? 9/10?
jdsplasher
Posted 4/23/2023 8:20 AM (#1020140 - in reply to #1020138)

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 4/23/2023 7:05 AM

JD

I'm looking at getting some things to make bucktails. Do you think I should use single or double blades? Colorado, willow, indiana, etc.? Size 8? 8/9? 9/10?

Since you’re fishing dirtier water, I’d probably stick with larger blades. 7 & 8 Colorado, 7&8 willow,

Or your #9 and 10 blades. Us old folk have harder times with the big blades, so I tend to troll those.

I also like the French Lakeland blade, Moore’s Carrie’s them. Think it’s a 6 or 6.5 size?

Every body of water is different. Experiment with single and dbl blades. Fish will tell you what they want!

JD

PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 4/23/2023 12:21 PM (#1020155 - in reply to #1020140)

jdsplasher - 4/23/2023 8:20 AM

JD

Since you’re fishing dirtier water, I’d probably stick with larger blades. 7 & 8 Colorado, 7&8 willow,

Or your #9 and 10 blades. Us old folk have harder times with the big blades, so I tend to troll those.

I also like the French Lakeland blade, Moore’s Carrie’s them. Think it’s a 6 or 6.5 size?

Every body of water is different. Experiment with single and dbl blades. Fish will tell you what they want!

JD

Thank you! Does blade and skirt color matter a whole lot? I've seen people say in dirt water to use white and silver lures and some say to use darker lures.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/23/2023 1:07 PM (#1020159 - in reply to #1020155)

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 4/23/2023 12:21 PM
jdsplasher - 4/23/2023 8:20 AM

JD

JD

Thank you! Does blade and skirt color matter a whole lot? I've seen people say in dirt water to use white and silver lures and some say to use darker lures.

Just look at the sky as a general rule. Dark day/ dark lure!  Light day,/ light lure.

Cloudy day…, blacks, purples, oranges,    ….. clear day, whites, yellows, chartreuse’s!

View some of my custom blades in basement baits forums, page 2, under winter project, to get an idea of color combinations…;)

JD

RikkiTikkii
Posted 4/23/2023 9:42 PM (#1020175 - in reply to #1020116)

All single blades, gliders, and jigs here. Three rods--three lures. If I need to fish deep I count down and retrieve slower. fish come up for gliders in clear water anyhow...
chuckski
Posted 4/24/2023 9:10 AM (#1020192 - in reply to #1020116)

It's fun to fish with different stuff and different places. I have too much tackle if there is such a thing!
FlyPiker
Posted 4/25/2023 8:54 AM (#1020239 - in reply to #1020116)

Try lots of variations. If I was fishing in that dirty water, with bucktails, I'd rock a black skirt with copper blades. Either a single 9 Colorado, or some sort of staggered double blade, 7/9, 9/10, etc... At least that's where I'd start, I really prefer throwing blades whenever I can get away with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)