Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bucktail builders- CLEVIS question.

Message Subject: Bucktail builders- CLEVIS question.
7.62xJay
Posted 4/8/2023 8:58 AM (#1019584)
Subject: Bucktail builders- CLEVIS question.

Looking at ordering some Clevises to start playing with bucktail building. Part of my motive is to play around with some different blade designs/combos. So I'm looking at Rollie n Helen's just because I'll likely order some other items but they're not absolutely necessary if y'all steer me a different direction. They have 2 types of quick change blade Clevises,which I'm thinking is the best route just for playing and experimenting with. Is one better than the other? And what's the downside of a quick change vs standard Clevis?
Also can you tandem by using 2 Clevises separated by 1 bead?
chuckski
Posted 4/8/2023 9:48 AM (#1019585 - in reply to #1019584)
Subject: Re: Bucktail builders- CLEVIS question.

Reg Clevises you can't change blades but they kick start well, Quick Change are so you can change blades but they start a little harder. The only time I use more then one Clevises is to make a double # (what ever size blade you use on that lure).
miket55
Posted 4/8/2023 10:36 AM (#1019586 - in reply to #1019584)

For double blades, don't separate the clevises... "interlock" them..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(743d1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 743d1.jpg (28KB - 30 downloads)
7.62xJay
Posted 4/8/2023 1:25 PM (#1019599 - in reply to #1019586)

miket55 - 4/8/2023 10:36 AM

Thanks but that configuration isn't possible with quick change clevises. But that does raise another question. Is there a performance difference between using two clevises like that vs using a 1 piece double clevis?
wek
Posted 4/8/2023 8:00 PM (#1019632 - in reply to #1019599)

I have found that the blades fly off the quick change clevis. I have tried it with the end that opens facing forward and backward and they come off in either direction.

I thought about using a plastic cable tie to keep the blade on but have not had a chance to try this yet.

chuckski
Posted 4/8/2023 9:23 PM (#1019634 - in reply to #1019584)

I've never lost a blade on the modern metal Quick Change Clevises, however I've lost blades on the small plastic Clevises on my Walleye Spinner Rigs.
miket55
Posted 4/9/2023 10:01 AM (#1019645 - in reply to #1019599)

7.62xJay - 4/8/2023 2:25 PM

miket55 - 4/8/2023 10:36 AM

Thanks but that configuration isn't possible with quick change clevises. But that does raise another question. Is there a performance difference between using two clevises like that vs using a 1 piece double clevis?

I haven't used the double clevises yet. I will be building some bucktails with them during the dog days this coming summer.

Do a search of the site, and you'll find reviews running the gamut from junk to the best thing since sliced bread.. You might find the photo in this thread interesting..

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13...

7.62xJay
Posted 4/9/2023 10:42 AM (#1019646 - in reply to #1019584)

Perfect thank you. I'll give er a shot soon as I get the right supplies.
Ogandrews
Posted 4/10/2023 7:01 AM (#1019674 - in reply to #1019584)

If you want to have your bucktail run as well as it can then you want to use two standard clevises vs the quick change ones. I have found with 2 clevises you can run 2 blades of the same style but different sizes, ie a 8 and 9 Colorado or 8 and 9 Indiana. Once you get into different blade combos, like a 8 Colorado and 9 Indiana, you will notice two separate clevises do not run or start nearly as well. If I’m building a true stagger with different blades, I buy a musky frenzy dozer and use their 1 piece clevis for whatever blades I want. That 1 piece clevis is the only way I’ve noticed to make a blade combo run well. I know the musky shop sells a double clevis where they are connected, but stacked on top of each other. I’ve never used them but it would be worth a try, although I doubt they run as well as the musky frenzy ones
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)