Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> fluoro or wire leaders for blades?

Message Subject: fluoro or wire leaders for blades?
cabbage
Posted 2/19/2023 10:06 AM (#1018208)
Subject: fluoro or wire leaders for blades?

I've almost always used fluorocarbon leaders for bucktails, spinnerbaits and any kind of blades. Caught 100s of muskies doing this. I have heard the discussion that wire or solid wire leaders might help get more bites due to the vibration being transferred through the wire rather than being deadened by the fluorocarbon. I get it. I can feel more vibration through the leader, line and rod tip as well when using wire as I have done on occasion. I have been outfished several times as well by guys using wire when I was using fluoro on a blade bight. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

As I consider all this, it seems to me a lure will put out the same vibrations / sound regardless of what it's connected to whether that's a fluorocarbon, wire or strawberry licorice leader. The leader WILL however change what we the fisherman feel in our rod tip... Which to me means almost nothing! What are your thoughts and experiences?

It would be convenient to continue using exclusively fluorocarbon leaders as I wouldn't have to have an extra designated Bucktails rod taking up space in the boat. I don't want to get as many bites as possible though!
Thanks!
chuckski
Posted 2/19/2023 10:59 AM (#1018213 - in reply to #1018208)
Subject: Re: fluoro or wire leaders for blades?

I have some fluorocarbon leaders and use them less and less, for Muskies I'm not sure if they really care? I make my own solid wire and I did buy Doug Wegner 90# 49 strand cable with O ring only. I'll give then a try this year.
North of 8
Posted 2/19/2023 12:37 PM (#1018214 - in reply to #1018213)

Never thought of this, but wouldn't any difference be nullified by the snap/split ring? If attached directly to wire or flouro, I could see some impact, but they are not.
pklingen
Posted 2/19/2023 1:30 PM (#1018217 - in reply to #1018208)

i'll take my chances with using wire. i know it won't get bit through on a head hunting fish with a bad aim. i use 174# single strand for all my blades, including spinner baits and catch my far share. plus i have confidence in the fact that i fear no teeth! just my 2 cents.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/19/2023 7:46 PM (#1018223 - in reply to #1018208)

A few years ago I realized that solid wire leaders worked much better for me with smaller single bladed bucktails. You can see and feel the difference in vibration. The shaft wobbles around with a flouro leader, and spins tight with a solid wire leader...the fish seem to prefer the latter. I think with the more balanced spin of a double bladed bucktail however, the difference is negligible.
RJ_692
Posted 2/20/2023 12:44 PM (#1018236 - in reply to #1018208)

its not the vibration. its differences in vibrations. if your fish see 10,000 vibration A, then your vibration B might be a thing.

before flouro it was all wire (strand or solid). many always thought flouro was a visibility thing, i always thought it was a vibration thing. i dont see like a fish but most of the water i fish i can see a 130# flouro better than i can see a wire leader.

personally i still like stranded titanium and use most of the time.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/20/2023 6:59 PM (#1018246 - in reply to #1018208)

Maybe in the rare instance where you get a fish come up from behind the lure, eat, and keep on coming. The only thing you can feel on your end is that the blades stop spinning. If you're fishing at night, or in stained water that might be an advantage since you can feel the blades spinning a bit better.
Ogandrews
Posted 2/21/2023 7:43 PM (#1018261 - in reply to #1018208)

I switched all of my blades the last two years to using the 6” Doug wegner leaders from leaders and lures, welded ring to a split ring on the bait. I can definitely believe that the wire can add a little bit to the noise of the bait. If that matters or not I have no idea, but I do know that I get way better 8’s with a 6” leader than I do a 12-18” one like I used to use. The shorter the leader, the wider the curve is that your bait is following. 6” leader and a 10’ rod you have some gigantic 8’s, and I have noticed I am converting more fish next to the boat now than back when I used long floro leaders.

Other thing to think of is straight wire or braided wire does have less chance of failing than floro. Floro is inherently brittle and the shorter the section, the more prone to breaking it is. Although it’s unlikely, people do still get bit off on 130 floro if the fish gets it just right. I’ve switched to using 49 strand for everything I fished floro in. Way more flexible and less likely to get bit through. On baits like twitching a crank or a lipless crank the 49 strand gives the bait noticeably more life also which is bigger to me than any loss in visibility.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)