Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lee's lures, TNA Tackle, and chaos tackle

Message Subject: Lee's lures, TNA Tackle, and chaos tackle
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/26/2023 4:27 PM (#1018386 - in reply to #1018268)
Subject: Re: Lee's lures, TNA Tackle, and chaos tackle

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 2/22/2023 8:40 AM

Ogandrews - 2/21/2023 7:33 PM

I would recommend looking at the Kodiak navin dive and rise. I have the 8-10-12” ones and they each have a place. They are almost like halfway between a suick and the high end dive n rise baits custom made. The 8” is awesome for early season because once you tune it right it has almost as much side to side action as a glider, as well as diving. The 10” is really easy to get to suspend and get deep with not much lead in it. The 12” is what I reach for 95% of the time I want to throw a dive and rise. You can get it to run shallow through weeds with a little lead, or you can load it up to get a slow rise. With 3 oz of lead I was able to see it get 12-13’ down on my livescope in the middle of the cast, and still lot of have a really slow rise. The 12” has an incredible amount of body wiggle on the pull and the pause, the other 2 sizes wiggle really well too but it’s more pronounced with the 12”. Just know with the Navins that they are significantly bigger than a suick for the same length. The 10” has way more body displacement than a 10” suick. 12” navin is probably more comparable to the frankensuick although I haven’t thrown it. I know the leviathan has an even bigger profile than the navin.

If I were you, I’d get a 12” navin, a lee lures metal series standard flap, and a bomb squad mk65 flaptail, and a 10” Mattlock if you want to get a crank in there. I know that’s not the bait you were asking about but that’s all I really use for “designer” baits and don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything else.

The other thing I’ll say is before you buy any more baits, buy a real 9-10ft musky rod. I’ve used the dobyns champion swimbait rods and they aren’t musky rods. You need a rod that is designed to set the hook into a musky and work those baits correctly. Those dobyns are usually 8ft if I remember and are way too soft to do a proper figure 8

I'll definitely check those out. Unfortunately, I mostly fish from the shore and have a hard time storing and using rods that big, so I don't know if I can really get a 9-10 foot rod because I won't be able to use it much. I'm also pretty new to muskie fishing so I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am. But I am in Pennsylvania (as my username implies, southeast PA specifically), so there's not a whole lot of muskies near me. Does this mean there won't be a whole lot of large muskies nearby? I know up north there are monster muskies, but I don't know if there's huge ones down here, so I don't know if throwing a 10-12 inch lure like a poseidon, dyin dawg, large medusa, etc. is exactly going to work giving where I'm fishing ( a highly pressured bass lake in southeast PA). I hope this makes sense, I might not be explaining it well.

Throw them big lures they work. Pennsylvania has some very big Muskie. Them big fish like big easy food. Do a lot of my fishing NW PA can always come to this side.

Bigger the rod the better of a cast you will get. Plus I don’t like two pieces but the 9’ or 10’ will break down.

I know not many waters out SE PA but there are some great waters by you or threw out PA.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/2/2023 3:22 PM (#1018524 - in reply to #1018384)

7.62xJay - 2/26/2023 3:51 PM

Do you have alot of shallow weeds that your leaning towards a boiler maker for? Two other baits that are similar are Spanky Baits Pugsly series. And Kramer Bros Woodtick. In case you want to compare.

The lake near me is a known bass lake and there's a lot of weed beds, but they aren't submerged if that makes sense. Like, there's a lot of weed beds along the shore, but they don't become submerged necessarily. They just jut off the shore and then stop. The water in this area is usually somewhere around 4 to 6 feet deep, but can go upwards of 10 feet deep. This lake is man made so there's a lot of sudden drop offs really close to shore.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/2/2023 3:23 PM (#1018526 - in reply to #1018386)

Solitario Lupo - 2/26/2023 4:27 PM

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 2/22/2023 8:40 AM

Ogandrews - 2/21/2023 7:33 PM

I would recommend looking at the Kodiak navin dive and rise. I have the 8-10-12” ones and they each have a place. They are almost like halfway between a suick and the high end dive n rise baits custom made. The 8” is awesome for early season because once you tune it right it has almost as much side to side action as a glider, as well as diving. The 10” is really easy to get to suspend and get deep with not much lead in it. The 12” is what I reach for 95% of the time I want to throw a dive and rise. You can get it to run shallow through weeds with a little lead, or you can load it up to get a slow rise. With 3 oz of lead I was able to see it get 12-13’ down on my livescope in the middle of the cast, and still lot of have a really slow rise. The 12” has an incredible amount of body wiggle on the pull and the pause, the other 2 sizes wiggle really well too but it’s more pronounced with the 12”. Just know with the Navins that they are significantly bigger than a suick for the same length. The 10” has way more body displacement than a 10” suick. 12” navin is probably more comparable to the frankensuick although I haven’t thrown it. I know the leviathan has an even bigger profile than the navin.

If I were you, I’d get a 12” navin, a lee lures metal series standard flap, and a bomb squad mk65 flaptail, and a 10” Mattlock if you want to get a crank in there. I know that’s not the bait you were asking about but that’s all I really use for “designer” baits and don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything else.

The other thing I’ll say is before you buy any more baits, buy a real 9-10ft musky rod. I’ve used the dobyns champion swimbait rods and they aren’t musky rods. You need a rod that is designed to set the hook into a musky and work those baits correctly. Those dobyns are usually 8ft if I remember and are way too soft to do a proper figure 8

I'll definitely check those out. Unfortunately, I mostly fish from the shore and have a hard time storing and using rods that big, so I don't know if I can really get a 9-10 foot rod because I won't be able to use it much. I'm also pretty new to muskie fishing so I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am. But I am in Pennsylvania (as my username implies, southeast PA specifically), so there's not a whole lot of muskies near me. Does this mean there won't be a whole lot of large muskies nearby? I know up north there are monster muskies, but I don't know if there's huge ones down here, so I don't know if throwing a 10-12 inch lure like a poseidon, dyin dawg, large medusa, etc. is exactly going to work giving where I'm fishing ( a highly pressured bass lake in southeast PA). I hope this makes sense, I might not be explaining it well.

Throw them big lures they work. Pennsylvania has some very big Muskie. Them big fish like big easy food. Do a lot of my fishing NW PA can always come to this side.

Bigger the rod the better of a cast you will get. Plus I don’t like two pieces but the 9’ or 10’ will break down.

I know not many waters out SE PA but there are some great waters by you or threw out PA.

I might bite the bullet and get a 9 foot chaos tackle SWAT assault stick I found online used. It throws 3-10 ounces, so it might be a tad heavy for some of my smaller lures, but It'll be able to throw my poseidon, size 12 bucktails I just bought, and some other lures well.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/3/2023 5:23 AM (#1018564 - in reply to #1018524)

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 3/2/2023 3:22 PM

Do you have alot of shallow weeds that your leaning towards a boiler maker for? Two other baits that are similar are Spanky Baits Pugsly series. And Kramer Bros Woodtick. In case you want to compare.

The lake near me is a known bass lake and there's a lot of weed beds, but they aren't submerged if that makes sense. Like, there's a lot of weed beds along the shore, but they don't become submerged necessarily. They just jut off the shore and then stop. The water in this area is usually somewhere around 4 to 6 feet deep, but can go upwards of 10 feet deep. This lake is man made so there's a lot of sudden drop offs really close to shore.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm understanding this as- Your vegetation is probably thick and abundant and grows to and/or above the surface of the water. Aka " The Slop,The Filth, The S***, The Scum, etc." Than relatively it stops abruptly at X depth break line.
Assuming my interpretation is correct- the fish you've caught so far are they on those weeds or suspended deeper?
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/3/2023 1:26 PM (#1018569 - in reply to #1018564)

7.62xJay - 3/3/2023 5:23 AM

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 3/2/2023 3:22 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm understanding this as- Your vegetation is probably thick and abundant and grows to and/or above the surface of the water. Aka " The Slop,The Filth, The S***, The Scum, etc." Than relatively it stops abruptly at X depth break line.
Assuming my interpretation is correct- the fish you've caught so far are they on those weeds or suspended deeper?

I mean it grows to the surface and then goes out from the shore, sometimes it's only a few feet, sometimes its 40-50 feet of just weeds. It then stops abruptly, most of the weeds are not submerged although I do know some spots that have submerged weeds that are shallow (3-4 feet, but there's no other structure so I don't know how good that would be for muskie). As for where most of my fish have been caught, it's been mostly bass near the edge of the weed beds. Only muskies I've gotten were at the spillway of this lake.
Ogandrews
Posted 3/4/2023 8:18 AM (#1018601 - in reply to #1018074)

I’ll throw one other thing out there too. Instead of buying some expensive baits go buy a cheap kayak. When I was younger I bought field and stream “fishing” kayak for $150 off of Facebook and caught so many fish in it over the years. There are a lot of fancy kayaks out now but as long as you have somewhere to put a net than you can make it work. To this day my biggest tiger at 45”, biggest pike at 44”, and biggest largemouth at 7.2lbs all came out of that cheap little kayak. Getting yourself off of the bank will put way more fish in the boat than some fancy baits. What I did back then was buy one of those cheap 4” garmins for $100 and screwed the ducer to the side of the boat, so I could at least get a depth/water temp.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/4/2023 9:48 AM (#1018608 - in reply to #1018074)

Have u ever spent much time bass fishing the weeds with say a weedless frog for bass and been broken or had the lurk put on it just to dissappear? If yes it was prolly esox. Yes it's small but in certain water where they're forced into thick weeds, they 100% will hit frogs. What's the average max depth there? Yes Muskies love the cooler higher oxygen water below a spill way, but they can't all be there. Some of HAVE got to be buried in the weed edges waiting to strike and/or laying out deeper on breaks, or even just out deep in their recliner relaxing. Kind of depends on forage, time of year, weed growth, and more importantly water temp. If your lake is too shallow and June-August the water temp.is hot and there's nowhere deep for them to stay cool than stick with the dam and weeds. If you have +15ft deep areas than try some row trolling in your Jhon boat if you don't have any sonar in it and see what happens. If you so much as get tapped than you at least know it's worth your time pulling off the weeds and going deeper. Suspended shad n panfish can be good indicators sometimes for where you should be.

But for your shore fishing endeavors here's a short grocery list for angling in thick weeds.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Beast_Hook_w__Twistlock/descpa...
Get weighted and unweighted in 12/0 size.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Optimum_Boom_Boom_Weedless_Swimbait/...
6" size

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Smash-Tech_Custom_Baits_Headhunter_W...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keitech_Swing_Impact_FAT_Swimbait/de...
7.8" size
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Liquid_Mayhem_Fish_Attractant_2oz/de...
Prolly shad scent for you, doesn't have to be this brand. It's what I like though.
It's not so much about the scent, it's about smearing a toothpaste sized bead inside the hollow cavity and on the hook to lubricate it for a more efficient hookset.

There's alot of frogs out there but I PROMISE you, what hooks bass doesn't always hook Esox, but what hooks Esox will always hook bass.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Scum_Frog_Launch_Frog/descpage-SLN.h...
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Molix_Supernato_Walk/descpage-MSWK.h...
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Teckel_USA_Honker_Frog/descpage-THF....

Some guys here like this combo https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Johnson_Silver_Minnow_Spoon/descpage...
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mister_Twister_4_Split_Double_Tail_G...
I have yet to try it myself

Than finally https://www.muskyshop.com/products/bucktails-slither-musky-tackle-bu...
Alot spinner baits will work if your slower and lower trying to bump weeds. But as far as burning and bulging one through dense weeds go this is my #1 choice for what's readily available. Hooks need alot of TLC when you first get it though.

That's just a short list, if it works out for ya let us know. I can expand on that grocery quite a bit if you want.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/4/2023 5:58 PM (#1018617 - in reply to #1018601)

Ogandrews - 3/4/2023 8:18 AM

I’ll throw one other thing out there too. Instead of buying some expensive baits go buy a cheap kayak. When I was younger I bought field and stream “fishing” kayak for $150 off of Facebook and caught so many fish in it over the years. There are a lot of fancy kayaks out now but as long as you have somewhere to put a net than you can make it work. To this day my biggest tiger at 45”, biggest pike at 44”, and biggest largemouth at 7.2lbs all came out of that cheap little kayak. Getting yourself off of the bank will put way more fish in the boat than some fancy baits. What I did back then was buy one of those cheap 4” garmins for $100 and screwed the ducer to the side of the boat, so I could at least get a depth/water temp.

I have a jon boat, but I don't get to go out on it much unless I'm with my dad. I don't really feel particularly comfortable in a kayak as I have fished in them before.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/4/2023 6:01 PM (#1018618 - in reply to #1018601)

I have a jon boat, but I don't get to go out on it much unless I'm with my dad. I don't really feel particularly comfortable in a kayak as I have fished in them before.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/4/2023 6:06 PM (#1018619 - in reply to #1018601)

I've got a jon boat but my mom won't let me get a trailer so I can only launch it when I'm fishing with my dad. As far as a kayak goes, they're so small and cramped I don't feel comfortable or even safe in one.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/4/2023 6:38 PM (#1018620 - in reply to #1018074)

Aw dude your fine, sounds like u NEED a Kayak, provided u got a way to haul it. Any open top with rod holder holes will do. Be looking at about $200 roughly for something basic. Just leash your paddle and wear a PFD. Bicycles don't SEEM safe until you learn to ride right? Same thing. Also, Tell your Mom some guy on the internet says that if your old enough to go to college your F'in old enough to purchase and tow a trailer.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/5/2023 7:41 AM (#1018627 - in reply to #1018601)

I've got a jon boat but my mom won't let me get a trailer so I can only launch it when I'm fishing with my dad. As far as a kayak goes, they're so small and cramped I don't feel comfortable or even safe in one.
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 3/5/2023 7:44 AM (#1018628 - in reply to #1018620)

7.62xJay - 3/4/2023 6:38 PM

Aw dude your fine, sounds like u NEED a Kayak, provided u got a way to haul it. Any open top with rod holder holes will do. Be looking at about $200 roughly for something basic. Just leash your paddle and wear a PFD. Bicycles don't SEEM safe until you learn to ride right? Same thing. Also, Tell your Mom some guy on the internet says that if your old enough to go to college your F'in old enough to purchase and tow a trailer.

How would you even carry all your gear? Your net? How would you get measurements or pictures? As far as a trailer goes, it's a matter of we live in a townhouse and don't have room.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/5/2023 9:27 AM (#1018633 - in reply to #1018074)

Net goes in one of the vertical rod holes pockets, 1 rod in the other pocket, rod ur using stows in the forward adjustable holder, release tools sit in the rubber mesh tool holders, tackle sits behind you and/or infront by your feet. Measuring you can just measure with rolled out soft tape and roll it back up, or you can use a paddle that has a tape painted onto it from the factory, or u can get a sticker and stick it to your kayak and measure it as u release her. U could just not take pictures, or take pictures of the fish in the net, or just film yourself with a gopro.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 3/5/2023 10:39 AM (#1018639 - in reply to #1018074)

Agree get a good kayak and it comes with some compartments. I stick a fish finder in a rod holder and two rods in the other two. Tools stay in a small storage area out front of me. My tackle bag with the lures go in the back everything gets tied down. When I have to change lures or do something I’ll pull over put my feet on the ground sit there and change and off I go. For measuring can stick one on the kayak as for pics can always paddle to shore just keep the fish in the water. I would rent one and try it out for a day or two see how it goes.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)