Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> MH or H power?

Message Subject: MH or H power?
awfireman
Posted 2/13/2023 6:22 PM (#1017978)
Subject: MH or H power?

I think I am going to purchase the St.C Mojo Muskie. Question is should I go with the MH or H power rod? I have never owned a St.C so wondering if the MH is more like a heavy?....I know most manufactures power ratings are different when compared side by side. I will be throwing mostly top-water and bucktails ranging from 1-5 ounces. Was thinking the MH but its only rated to 3oz but maybe it will handle an occasional 4-5 oz lure I throw on there??

I was looking at the TI Musky rods but notice the MHs only come in M action. I have also preferred fast action on my bass rods, expect when fishing plastics and finesse...I prefer a medium for those applications. Any benefit to fishing a M action vs. F? I have always preferred minimal bend in my bass rods but open to doing something different for Muskys.

TIA,

-Fireman
muskyhunter07
Posted 2/14/2023 7:01 AM (#1017988 - in reply to #1017978)
Subject: Re: MH or H power?

I would stick with the Heavy. It is a more versatile rod. I exclusively use XH and H for all applications. I do have a few XXH for some pounders and such but for the most part from spring to fall we are using the H and XH for nearly everything. Tooth Tamer makes a great rod. If you are looking for a higher end rod I would say thorne bros makes a great lineup predator and stealth series.
muskyhunter07
Posted 2/14/2023 7:33 AM (#1017989 - in reply to #1017988)

If you are into gliders/ jerkbaits, I would look at the jeff hanson series bulldawg rods.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/14/2023 7:50 AM (#1017990 - in reply to #1017978)

IMO H will do everything a MH will do.
danlaboucane
Posted 2/14/2023 8:04 AM (#1017991 - in reply to #1017990)

I have a 7,5' premier MH , a last gen 8'mojo H , a 9' legend H .
You can use MH for more than 3 oz but gets too soft at the tip , mojo H is more parabolic than legend H .
hahdawg
Posted 2/14/2023 10:15 AM (#1017995 - in reply to #1017991)

MH is good for really tiny bucktails. 3+ oz is not really tiny. Your rod will bend during the retrieve, and figure eights will be a pain. With bass, it's important to use the lightest rod you can get away with. With muskies, it's the opposite: Many baits pull hard, and rod power doesn't have much of an effect on casting distance, so there's little downside to going heavier.

For action, bass have soft mouths, so you need moderate rods for most baits with treble hooks, or you'll tear hooks out of fish. Muskies have hard mouths, so so you're fine with faster rods.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/14/2023 11:11 AM (#1017997 - in reply to #1017978)

Usually go by what I am throwing. If you plan on those heavier baits then I would go heavier on the rod. Those bigger baits are hard on a rod that can’t stand up to them.

As for action moderate to a slow is what I prefer. It helps with my hook sets and fight the fish better in stronger currents IMO.
jvlast15
Posted 2/14/2023 1:33 PM (#1018001 - in reply to #1017978)
Subject: RE: MH or H power?

awfireman - 2/13/2023 6:22 PM

I think I am going to purchase the St.C Mojo Muskie. Question is should I go with the MH or H power rod? I have never owned a St.C so wondering if the MH is more like a heavy?....I know most manufactures power ratings are different when compared side by side. I will be throwing mostly top-water and bucktails ranging from 1-5 ounces. Was thinking the MH but its only rated to 3oz but maybe it will handle an occasional 4-5 oz lure I throw on there??

I was looking at the TI Musky rods but notice the MHs only come in M action. I have also preferred fast action on my bass rods, expect when fishing plastics and finesse...I prefer a medium for those applications. Any benefit to fishing a M action vs. F? I have always preferred minimal bend in my bass rods but open to doing something different for Muskys.

TIA,

-Fireman

I own the newer St Croix Mojo in a MH action.

Its pretty soft. I plan on throwing single 8s, Jointed X Raps, 6 inch phantom softails, spring dawgs, etc.. I wont go any bigger than those types of baits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)