Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> most buoyant braid

Message Subject: most buoyant braid
cabbage
Posted 2/8/2023 12:03 PM (#1017758)
Subject: most buoyant braid

Anyone know what some of the most buoyant muskie braids are? I want to spool my walk the dog setup with something that isn't designed to sink. Come to find out the suffix 832 I purchased for this purpose was designed to sink! Probably doesn't matter one bit when we're talking about weagles and jackpots but regardless... Thanks
Jeff78
Posted 2/8/2023 4:30 PM (#1017766 - in reply to #1017758)
Subject: Re: most buoyant braid

I use Cortland, no issues with sinking on topwaters. I hold the rod at about 45 degrees and the line is out of the water all the way to the line tie.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/8/2023 4:53 PM (#1017769 - in reply to #1017758)

I bobber fish for walleyes with Suffix 832 and run a 10'-20' of flouro leader...but the 10# 832 definitely floats.
Ciscokid82
Posted 2/9/2023 10:49 AM (#1017794 - in reply to #1017758)

Not sure where you’d get that info, definitely won’t say on the packaging lol! May have to contact representative from every brand you’d like info on. Not sure there’d be a noticeable difference between braids anyway.
chuckski
Posted 2/9/2023 12:34 PM (#1017800 - in reply to #1017758)

Thicker pound test? Longer rod? As stated above it may not matter.
VMS
Posted 2/9/2023 1:41 PM (#1017803 - in reply to #1017758)

I looked into the density of suffix 832....most likely would be close to the density of water, but not quite there.

Suffix 832 has 8 fibers: 7 fibers of dyneema with a density of 0.97g/cc, and one fiber of Gore performance braid. the Gore performance braid is made up of Polyteraflourothylene (PTFE), and has a density between 2.1g/cc to 2.3 g/cc

Now....I'm placing my tongue firmly in my cheek here, but using a density calculator based on the numbers and strands above, the overall density would be 1.124 g/cc.

The density of water is 1g/cc, therefore from a very very rudimentary and rough standpoint, suffix 832 would sink....all due to the one strand of Gore performance braid.

It'd sink....but not very fast at all.

Steve

Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/9/2023 2:00 PM (#1017804 - in reply to #1017758)

Here I just put some in a bowl of water. It floats until you push it under...basically neutral then. Winter fun lol.

Emptynet
Posted 2/9/2023 2:42 PM (#1017806 - in reply to #1017758)
Subject: RE: most buoyant braid

I was told a few years ago that Suffix Performance Braid floats.
RobertK
Posted 2/10/2023 10:08 AM (#1017828 - in reply to #1017758)

VMS and the Masqui-ninja! The theorist and the experimentalist. I love it!

The reason it floats just on the surface and is neutral after is probably due to surface tension. Of course, that's exactly the situation you would find out on the water as well.

A little note on VMS' theory though... water in lakes and rivers might have density slightly different than 1.00g/cc. First, there are slight variations in water density due to temperature. Second, if there is a lot of dissolved material in the water the density can be slightly higher (which is why things are generally more buoyant in saltwater than they are in fresh water).

Cheers!
VMS
Posted 2/10/2023 2:51 PM (#1017858 - in reply to #1017828)

Glad you love it....

A little emphasis in calculus based physics as part of a degree gives me a little more than just theory, though... No reason to go into extremely minute details you mention for what the original post was asking, but we can do so... a little information never hurt anyone.

Surface tension will have a tendency to not have an effect when something hits the water at a higher impact or is slightly agitated, and....with the back and forth movement of the line due to the particular lure in question surface tension would be a non-issue. Also, density of freshwater is not going to vary that much based on dissolved particles in the water...at least not enough to make a difference...otherwise it wouldn't be considered a freshwater environment nor could it sustain the fish we so love to chase....

During warm water periods, water is less dense the warmer it gets.... down to about .95 g/cc as it reaches its boiling point. So...whether one wants to consider it theory or not, the numbers are not too far off....

The experiment...pretty simple and answers the question. I say that was a great thing to do...as soon as the surface was agitated, the line pretty much suspended, which is pretty much in line with the density calculation posted.

Ciscokid82
Posted 2/10/2023 10:48 PM (#1017869 - in reply to #1017758)

We’ll there you go…
Clearly you need to match the correct braid to presentation after doing a H20 density test and consideration of the factors listed above.
North of 8
Posted 2/11/2023 11:16 AM (#1017885 - in reply to #1017869)

Interesting discussion. I didn't know there was much of a difference in buoyancy. Did remember and article where the author recommended thinner diameter braid, like 60# for WTD lures like Weagle, with his thought being you wanted it to sink because that kept the nose of the lure in the water better and moved more water. I like Weagles but I just throw them with the same line I use for everything else.
VMS
Posted 2/11/2023 4:22 PM (#1017894 - in reply to #1017885)

Hiya,

I don't think there is much difference as well.... I've always felt the leader took care of things anyway at the front of the bait as with any walk the dog style bait, be it a topwater or subsurface, the main pivot point is the leader and lure.

I've got a sneaking suspicion if the fish is active enough to follow, what the line is doing probably is not what the fish is focused on.

I agree with you North of 8....it is interesting to discuss, though...passes some time while we wait for hard water days to go away and get back on the boat... goofy of my mind...if anything with physics, math, etc come into it....I'll be attentive... Guess it comes with the career path..
leech lake strain
Posted 2/14/2023 5:58 PM (#1018018 - in reply to #1017758)

I think that northland bionic braid was pretty buoyant. In fact it likes to fray pretty easy. I wasnt a fan of it.
mseybert
Posted 2/14/2023 6:18 PM (#1018022 - in reply to #1017758)

I bought berkley x9 specifically because it floats. I haven't used it for muskie though, just panfish. I like it, but cannot vouch for durability in the higher end of the strength ratings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)