Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Baits for Spinning Rod

Message Subject: Best Baits for Spinning Rod
jvlast15
Posted 1/27/2023 9:12 AM (#1017428)
Subject: Best Baits for Spinning Rod

Talked my wife into an extra Sabaskong Bay trip this next summer if she goes with. Not really into fishing - will probably read most of the time. But if I get a heavier spinning set up - what are baits you guys recommend I get that wont be a huge problem with constantly tangling up with her line and still give her a chance to maybe catch a musky?

I know ideally I would teach her how to throw a baitcaster - but I think one bad backlash and it would be the last time she ever fished with me.
Cedar
Posted 1/27/2023 9:31 AM (#1017431 - in reply to #1017428)
Subject: RE: Best Baits for Spinning Rod

Small to medium-ish baits that are easy to cast and retrieve on a 3500+/- size reel with low gears. If the combo is too big, she may lose interest fast, then let her have at it with topwater, wake baits, floating cranks, Mepps bucktails, and go from there. Catching Muskies on the surface adds to the experience, and may get her hooked on the sport.
Angling Oracle
Posted 1/27/2023 9:43 AM (#1017432 - in reply to #1017428)
Subject: Re: Best Baits for Spinning Rod

If I were to do the same thing probably would be prop baits as will get some action from bass and pike and fewer possibilities for snags, weeds and when a fish does follow the fig 8 part doable with a spinning rod. Bonus is a great locater bait and topwaters in general are not thrown as much as they probably should be.
chasintails
Posted 1/27/2023 11:36 AM (#1017438 - in reply to #1017428)

As mentioned small prop baits, small floating minnow baits, and I'd add some medium size safety pin style spinner baits like a CJ's, could rig up a slug go for a soft plastic too.
ToddM
Posted 1/28/2023 7:54 AM (#1017456 - in reply to #1017428)

You can just go with a heavy bass setup. They make smaller whopper ploppers, stick baits like a rattling rogue (get the clown color), small bucktails are ok just give consideration to sinking baits and her timing casting to shallow water and retrieve start. They make small cranes too the 105 has great action. You will also need to match the baits with the right leader so you 100-130lb flouro won't work.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 1/28/2023 8:59 AM (#1017457 - in reply to #1017428)

I would use as big as lures as I could on the setup. I do like throwing big plastics on mine. Just don’t go over the weight of the lure size it can handle on the rod.
chuckski
Posted 1/28/2023 10:18 AM (#1017458 - in reply to #1017428)

30 years ago there was a story in the In-fisherman about a guy who go fish at Lake Of The Woods every year and catch a bunch of Muskies including a very large release. The thing was he used Bass sized tackle spinnerbaits and small topwater like a Injured Minnow and he would get Muskies every year and one would be 20 pounds or more. (and catch a lot of Bass, Pike, and Walleyes too) He owned one true Muskie lure. (Buchertail and never used it) The large Muskie he released was one of the biggest ever caught in LOTW. someone suggested he enter it as a release record and then after he entered it they wanted more information and jump thru this hoop and he said nevermind I can care less.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/28/2023 10:31 AM (#1017459 - in reply to #1017428)

We've caught fish to 50" on the Lake X Little Bastard on a spinning rod spooled with 50# test. I even had a 70# kid catch a 4'er on this set-up. Most shallow diving crankbaits work well with this combo too. I like the H2O Shallow Cranky Nitro.

The biggest hassle with spinning is line twist. I'd recommend dragging the line behind the boat for a while each day to remove twist.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/28/2023 7:53 PM (#1017472 - in reply to #1017428)

Weedless spoon with a curly tail grub trailer.
If you want her out of the boat… the heaviest and hardest pulling bait you got!
RLSea
Posted 1/28/2023 9:28 PM (#1017473 - in reply to #1017428)

Husky Jerk 14 or Lucky Craft Pointer 128 are good stick baits for slow or erratic presentations. Upsize the hooks/split rings a little and eliminate the middle hook. Use light single strand steel leader. I've taken a lot of muskies on this set-up. Good thing is that multi-species will hit these baits too.
ToddM
Posted 1/29/2023 8:39 AM (#1017477 - in reply to #1017428)

You also have to match the equipment to her desire and length of time she will want to fish. Big lures may shorten that time. Her desire and skill should be a huge consideration.
mikie
Posted 1/29/2023 9:55 AM (#1017485 - in reply to #1017428)

Them fish likes the bucktails up there; get a set of Mepps spinners and keep the net handy. m
Pikebait
Posted 1/29/2023 10:25 AM (#1017488 - in reply to #1017428)

It all depends on the rod and what it’s rated for. There is spinning rods out there that can handle majority of the mid sized musky baits

My wife has been running a spinning rod with a 4oz rating for large pike. She fishes any of my lures that fall under the rod ratings. Mini medusas, super d’s, Savage gear burbot/hybrid pike, rapala otus/petos, smaller bucktails, smaller gliders, smaller dive and rise, and whatever else she feels like throwing that is 4oz or less

We are still planning our first musky trip so I can’t speak on what you should use for musky but from my research a lot of the lures we use targeting big pike seem to be no different than what many use for musky. In the end it’s just a matter of matching the appropriate size lures to her rod rating
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)