Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Permanent Ice Shanty - Northern WI

Message Subject: Permanent Ice Shanty - Northern WI
TheShow
Posted 1/27/2023 9:10 AM (#1017427)
Subject: Permanent Ice Shanty - Northern WI

Looking for advice on permanent ice shanty's in northern WI. I'm in the middle of Vilas County, right on the edge of the snowbelt. We get plenty of snow!

I had one in my younger years when I lived in southern WI. Deep snow was rarely an issue so a couple runners did the trick. Could always move it by ATV or snowmobile.

I'm looking to build another one but I'm seeking advice from those who live where deep snow is common. I don't have a trax UTV or ATV, but I have a couple snowmobiles.

I've seen the type built on old camper frames with a tow hitch and axle. Not sure if that will work with our amount of snow? Should I consider an icehouse built modular style where I can tear it down and assemble it right on the ice? Build the structure on 2 wide runners so it stays up on top of the snow? What do you recommend for heat?

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations/lessons learned would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Big Show
Angling Oracle
Posted 1/27/2023 10:29 AM (#1017434 - in reply to #1017427)
Subject: Re: Permanent Ice Shanty - Northern WI

I suggest getting advice on that for your area on an ice fishing forum.

We have both lots of snow and lots of ice up here and substantial permie ice villages on both the Red River and Lake Winnipeg. Our group used to have one but prefer mobility now. Biggest issue with a permie always is it freezing into the ice. The weight of it, you and your buds and other folks parking near it, and over time the weight of snow on the ice bows the ice and water that comes up holes will freeze it solid into the ice if that is not considered as part of your planning. With a lot of snow drifts will accumulate around the shack but probably not the same issue with that with where you are at compared to up here on a big open lake. Tracked vehicles are the best option for moving and at least up here there are folks that will do this for you as a $ service.

Edited by Angling Oracle 1/27/2023 10:31 AM
North of 8
Posted 1/27/2023 11:05 AM (#1017437 - in reply to #1017434)
Subject: Re: Permanent Ice Shanty - Northern WI

I am in Oneida County and the issue I see on the chain where I live is that the permanent shanties tend to freeze in. Everything is fine until slush happens, then freezes. Also, if there is any amount of snow, towing it off at end of season is going to be more than most snowmobiles can achieve. One of my neighbors puts one out and he minimizes freeze in by putting it on stacks of 2x8 blocks. Jacks up the corners, puts the blocks under.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)