Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Stay warm and safe.

Message Subject: Stay warm and safe.
North of 8
Posted 12/24/2022 10:17 AM (#1016720 - in reply to #1016716)
Subject: Re: Stay warm and safe.

Ciscokid82 - 12/24/2022 9:47 AM

Where do you think I live?
For the record it was -12 with wind chills -20 to -35.
If you know how to dress for the cold and are prepared you can do just about anything you set your mind to, even when others tell you you should be afraid.
Country living and hard work and realizing what you are really capable of and what you can endure is something that most of society has no idea of today, which is sad since so many have gotten used to convenience and have no idea what to do if they don’t have it.

It is one thing to be by your home, working outside. I did that too. Also walked three miles outside. Did it again this morning.
But, go out on the highway, have a mechanical issue and you can put not only yourself in danger but others in blizzard conditions. Some counties with drifting put "no tow" orders in effect. You slide in the ditch, you are there until the wind stops. I travel with extra clothes, boots, etc. in winter but spending a night in a ditch is not my thing.

Edited by North of 8 12/24/2022 10:22 AM
Ciscokid82
Posted 12/24/2022 10:26 AM (#1016721 - in reply to #1016672)

Like I said, prepared….
And I would not be clearing brush if I was out in the middle of a field or in Oklahoma obviously!
I’m in the woods and on the downwind side of a hill so there’s no need to attack me or tell me I’m trying to prove something, if I were I’d take my shirt off and do it and take a picture and post it on Facebook. I just really like the new brush cutting blade on my Sthl weedwacker! I’m going back out now to do another section.
North of 8
Posted 12/24/2022 11:21 AM (#1016722 - in reply to #1016721)

Ciscokid82 - 12/24/2022 10:26 AM

Like I said, prepared….
And I would not be clearing brush if I was out in the middle of a field or in Oklahoma obviously!
I’m in the woods and on the downwind side of a hill so there’s no need to attack me or tell me I’m trying to prove something, if I were I’d take my shirt off and do it and take a picture and post it on Facebook. I just really like the new brush cutting blade on my Sthl weedwacker! I’m going back out now to do another section.

I had one of those on my Homelite when I lived in the U.P. worked great. But, got carried away one day clearing the ski trail and tried to cut too big. Snapped the drive shaft. Hopefully they are better made today, but when it worked, it was great. Not too heavy, could carry it and the gas/oil can way down the trail and trim back all the stuff that grew over the summer. You have Buckthorn? That seems to be the villain my relatives in central WI battle.
chuckski
Posted 12/24/2022 11:25 AM (#1016723 - in reply to #1016672)

Thursday was the coldest day I've seen in the 31 years I've lived here. (Colorado) Our house is under 20 years old and I think it was made to handle cold weather and we didn't lose power. Good on that front. Today 47 tomorrow 51. The airport is a cluster to say the least. I was supposed to pick my sister and brother in law up at the airport on Thursday and the flight was canceled they flew to Vegas yesterday and were supposed to be here this morning, flight canceled. Maybe get a flight tomorrow or rent a car and drive 12 hours? In our family does a big party on Christmas Eve with lot's of food and drink and Brunch on Christmas day. Been working on it for days. It's in limbo now! One last thing some of the states next door I'm not sure if there homes are made for this.
TCESOX
Posted 12/24/2022 3:22 PM (#1016725 - in reply to #1016700)

Ciscokid82 - 12/23/2022 2:30 PM

Another overblown forecast by the media or maybe they do it on purpose to scare the dumb.
It’s called winter and it occurs every year.

This is primarily what I was responding to. I don't know, maybe your forecasters were over blowing the storm, which isn't unusual for anything, as that is kind of what any news outlet typically does. The forecasting I was watching in the Twin Cities, before I left for Iowa, was pretty matter of fact, and basically described what eventually happened. Once I got down here, the local news was pretty much just telling everyone what was happening and what conditions were like out there. None of it was anything that would scare even the dumb. And to call this storm just winter, and occurs every year is incorrect. The depth of the low pressure system was unusually deep, and the scope of the storm, from the rockies to the Ohio valley, and from Canada to Texas, lasting almost three days without moving much, does not occur every year. It was a rare occurrence.
Posted 12/24/2022 4:57 PM (#1016726 - in reply to #1016725)

Bad out there 25 miles to work the last two nights on I 57 ,and the dan ryan.slow is the key. Not everyone got the memo.
Ciscokid82
Posted 12/25/2022 8:08 AM (#1016729 - in reply to #1016672)

Like I said, prepared….
Ciscokid82
Posted 12/25/2022 8:16 AM (#1016730 - in reply to #1016722)

North of 8 - 12/24/2022 11:21 AM

Ciscokid82 - 12/24/2022 10:26 AM

Like I said, prepared….

I had one of those on my Homelite when I lived in the U.P. worked great. But, got carried away one day clearing the ski trail and tried to cut too big. Snapped the drive shaft. Hopefully they are better made today, but when it worked, it was great. Not too heavy, could carry it and the gas/oil can way down the trail and trim back all the stuff that grew over the summer. You have Buckthorn? That seems to be the villain my relatives in central WI battle.

Yes. It works like a dream for thorn and anything under 2” if it’s soft wood, plus it’s easier to do in the winter when everything else is knocked down. In summer I would not be able to even get in there.
gimruis
Posted 12/27/2022 9:33 AM (#1016748 - in reply to #1016672)
Subject: RE: Stay warm and safe.

This is Interstate 90 in central South Dakota on Saturday. You aren't going anywhere until the dozers come through.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(I 90 SD.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments I 90 SD.jpg (235KB - 33 downloads)
Ciscokid82
Posted 12/27/2022 6:20 PM (#1016752 - in reply to #1016672)

Impressive! I guess it really does get windy in the Great Plains.
Imagine it was a dirt and dust and that it lasted nearly a decade.
Those were some hearty, tough folks.
chuckski
Posted 12/28/2022 9:39 AM (#1016757 - in reply to #1016672)

The cold we had was rare however we get lot's of heavy snow and wind. A couple weeks ago we had a storm that dropped feet of snow in the mountains and 2" of snow at my house in Northwest Denver, not single flake in Denver itself and eight miles up the up the interstate (I-76) from my home they 13" and 50 miles a hour wind and white outs and shut down the highway to the Nebraska border. I this town when a big storm is coming everyone leaves work early and goes home. I saw all those people in western New York who died in there cars and a lot of them coming home from work. Didn't they see this coming? Or maybe we live in Buffalo snow! no biggie!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)