Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> jointed vs. straight believers/swim whizz

Message Subject: jointed vs. straight believers/swim whizz
tomyv
Posted 2/24/2004 12:11 PM (#98320)
Subject: jointed vs. straight believers/swim whizz

Which do you prefer?
Trophymuskie
Posted 2/24/2004 12:52 PM (#98329 - in reply to #98320)
Subject: RE: jointed vs. straight believers/swim whizz

10 inch Jointed believers
lobi
Posted 2/24/2004 12:55 PM (#98330 - in reply to #98320)

For trolling I use the jointed in the summer and the straights in the fall. I think the jointed appears to be moving faster and the straight slower and lazier. For casting I like the smaller straight 6 inch on the deep setting. I know a lot of guys use the shallow eye and use it as a shallow twitcher. Who does this with good results? I will try that this spring.
muskyboy
Posted 2/24/2004 1:05 PM (#98332 - in reply to #98320)

The jointed believer because it generates action and noise, especially in darker water systems, whether trolling, casting, topwater crawling, or night fishing! Same applies to Depth Raiders, but I still do use the straight models mostly when casting specific spots in clearer water systems.
Mauser
Posted 2/24/2004 1:20 PM (#98336 - in reply to #98320)

I troll a small lake near the house (300 acres) in the fall for tigers and by far the jointed outfishes the straight by a lot. Maybe it's the color, maybe not but I've had 0 hits on the straight and have boated 4 for a buddy of mine on a 8" jointed swim-wizz while trolling a solid on my rod.
Go figure...........
Mauser
Phish Killer
Posted 2/24/2004 1:46 PM (#98337 - in reply to #98320)

Jointed models as topwater baits and for dark water.

Straights for trolling in the fall.
stripe55
Posted 2/24/2004 1:56 PM (#98338 - in reply to #98320)

Trophymusky, I respect your opinions(and admire your successes),why the jointed for you? Too, I know of your trolling, but do you like the jointed for casting, and if so is this more a shallow thing or all stuff that you cast to? My success has been with the straight 10" but the jointed rarly see the water outside of using it as a topwater and I've had some nice follows with it that way but no real successes as far as hook-ups are concerned. Thank you

Posted 2/24/2004 4:21 PM (#98357 - in reply to #98320)

Personally both work great for me, although the jointed edges out the straight in the long run. Ten inchers get me the trophies whether it's trolling or casting. When casting I prefer the jointed but it takes some finesse to cast them correctly consistently. The eight inchers cast nicely as well. Beware of trolling the jointed ones all day though as they do tend to lose their backsection (the metal joint pulls out of the tailsection) which of course could result in a lost fish from time to time. Great baits though! I particularly enjoyed tossing them over the shallow rocks and weeds on the drought stricken Canadian waters last season! They RARELY hook up on the rocks permanently if worked right and tend to back off from them nicely. You might also consider replacing the split rings on them w/ Bucher super split rings and going to a more substantial hook (I use 5-0 gamakastu's). I have lost more than one monster on believers in the past due to their split rings opening up from torque of the fish! Unbelivable bait though guys.......

Posted 2/24/2004 4:22 PM (#98358 - in reply to #98320)

Personally both work great for me, although the jointed edges out the straight in the long run. Ten inchers get me the trophies whether it's trolling or casting. When casting I prefer the jointed but it takes some finesse to cast them correctly consistently. The eight inchers cast nicely as well. Beware of trolling the jointed ones all day though as they do tend to lose their backsection (the metal joint pulls out of the tailsection) which of course could result in a lost fish from time to time. Great baits though! I particularly enjoyed tossing them over the shallow rocks and weeds on the drought stricken Canadian waters last season! They RARELY hook up on the rocks permanently if worked right and tend to back off from them nicely. You might also consider replacing the split rings on them w/ Bucher super split rings and going to a more substantial hook (I use 5-0 gamakastu's). I have lost more than one monster on believers in the past due to their split rings opening up from torque of the fish! Unbelivable bait though guys.......

Posted 2/24/2004 4:23 PM (#98359 - in reply to #98320)

Posted 2/24/2004 4:23 PM (#98360 - in reply to #98320)

Posted 2/24/2004 4:24 PM (#98361 - in reply to #98320)

Posted 2/24/2004 4:25 PM (#98362 - in reply to #98320)

Posted 2/24/2004 4:33 PM (#98363 - in reply to #98320)

oops, guess the server not responding message I've been getting was an error. Sorry for the repeats. Sorry for the repeats. Sorry for the repeats.......
kevin
Posted 2/24/2004 4:41 PM (#98364 - in reply to #98320)

I like the jointed, a little more erratic action then the straight, but as of right now I have caught more on the staright. I mostly retrieve them straight in,with a occasional twitch retrieve thrown in.
Trophymuskie
Posted 2/24/2004 6:34 PM (#98380 - in reply to #98338)

Originally written by stripe55 on 2004-02-24 2:56 PM

Trophymusky, I respect your opinions(and admire your successes),why the jointed for you? Too, I know of your trolling, but do you like the jointed for casting, and if so is this more a shallow thing or all stuff that you cast to? My success has been with the straight 10" but the jointed rarly see the water outside of using it as a topwater and I've had some nice follows with it that way but no real successes as far as hook-ups are concerned. Thank you

I can get a 10 inch jointed believer with 30' of line out and hitting 5-7 MPH to do the wild thing. I mean the lure will dig a while down at 7-10' then swing left then right and then almost like it loses it's action and floats near the surface then back down to 7-10 feet and so on, this drives fish crazy. I am sure many follows are converted by the wild action I get from these lures. You just need to watch your rod tip untill it does the " thump thump pause thump thump thump pause " at different intervals and you hit the right speed.

I cast the jointed as a topwater or shallow and sometimes both in the same cast. I will cast it in a couple of feet of water and reel it in on the surface and as the lure hits deeper water of 5+ feet I will reel a little faster and make the lure sink a little bit at a time untill it gets to the boat. This is fishing a dropoff as the boat would be in 15-20 feet of water.

The only success I have had with the straigh is during fall trolling them 16' deep or casting in the thicker weeds and using it more like a fast rising jerkbait.

TECK
Posted 2/24/2004 6:45 PM (#98381 - in reply to #98320)

If i troll I like jointed for casting straight ( I never cast them)
Chris Haley
Posted 2/24/2004 9:22 PM (#98402 - in reply to #98320)

I like Jointed Swim whizzs for most of the season but in Febuary and March I use both 6 and 8 inch striaght on the shallow eye casting, I troll 8 inch jointed Swimm Whizzs at 6mph on 10 to 20 ft of line 80% of the year.
all but one of our 50 inchers this season were on a whizz. The other was a 54 incher on a SS Shad.
crazycanuck
Posted 2/27/2004 9:09 PM (#98820 - in reply to #98320)

I prefer the 10" straight for trolling, but haven't played with the jointed enough to make a fair comparison. One of my most productive Believer patterns is to troll a 10" straight on the shallow eye along weedline/dropoff areas. You have to be very precise with the speed to get it to run correctly on the shallow eye (each individual lure will run different and will require a slightly different speed). The Believer is a versatile lure that can be cast or trolled deep, shallow, slow, or fast, .....by far my favourite and most productive.

After reading the other replies, I will have to give the jointed model a second chance this year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)