Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Which speakers do you enjoy seeing or listening to the most?

Message Subject: Which speakers do you enjoy seeing or listening to the most?
ThedockisIN
Posted 12/20/2022 6:49 PM (#1016635)
Subject: Which speakers do you enjoy seeing or listening to the most?

As the person who runs the stage at the Minnesota Muskie Expo, finds most of the speakers for my Muskie Club and who has an interest in tournament fishing, what speakers do you enjoy seeing or listening to when the topic is muskie fishing? It could be a guide, TV Host, tournament angler, podcaster or even a friend or acquaintance. Who leaves you wanting to hear more from them and why? Is it the value of the information? is it how it is delivered? Is it their personality?

Greg Ide
chuckski
Posted 12/20/2022 7:12 PM (#1016636 - in reply to #1016635)
Subject: Re: Which speakers do you enjoy seeing or listening to the most?

Guides or expert fishermen, or someone who knows the history of a place or area.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/20/2022 7:28 PM (#1016637 - in reply to #1016635)

A few speakers I have enjoyed in years past and the reasons why:

1. Tony Grant - Specifics about Cave Run, plus I know him so that's always fun
2. Greg Thomas - Specifics about Cave Run plus I know him so that's always fun
3. Howie Meyer - Pulls no punches, not selling anything. When Howie talks, (which isn't often) you'd be wise to listen. Plus I consider him a good friend and fished with him for many years.
4. Steve Herbeck - If you want advice on Eagle Lake... Also a good friend who I've fished with more than a few times.
5. Larry Dahlberg - Never fished with him, but I'd bet it would be a riot. That guy is funny, and his stories are great.
6. Jim Saric - Muskie "fame"/entertainment value
7. Steve Heiting - Muskie "fame"/entertainment value
8. Joe Bucher - Good tips for any water, not just certain lakes

I won't name names of those I wouldn't bother seeing again, but here are a few of the reasons:

1. Too much selling of your product/guide service
2. Lake specific information for places I do not intend to fish
3. Full of crap/himself
4. Just there because you like to hear yourself talk
5. I've fished there enough to know it's not worth a seminar about it, and yet here you are
6. Credible, good info, but if you talk anymore someone is going to have to wake me up
7. The guy who is "famous" but really can't catch poopy in real life.

Edited by esoxaddict 12/20/2022 7:36 PM
North of 8
Posted 12/21/2022 7:19 AM (#1016639 - in reply to #1016637)

There are a lot of good speakers, different strengths. Greg Thomas, high energy, maybe a little different take on things. Years ago, attended a seminar Thomas gave and one subject was using tubes. Some unique ideas on rigging those.
Steve Heiting has been a guide, lots of experience in the field, but is also an editor and it shows in his tight, organized presentation.
Won't give a name but went to a presentation by a well known guide, and while he might have had a couple good points, his presentation was clearly off the cuff and not at all organized. That can be frustrating.
I like speakers with a clear topic, organized and some visuals that demonstrate their point. Thomas for example had graphics showing how he puts out multiple lines trolling, so that as he spoke you could see the spread, with distance/depth.
kap
Posted 12/21/2022 8:40 AM (#1016641 - in reply to #1016635)

People with first hand experience in the stocking and the trend to reduce stocking of Muskies in Minnesota.
Anglers need to know the truth so they stop believing the hearsay, and learn how they can help.
Jim Doyle, Brett Waldera, Jim Kath or any other Muskie Inc personel involved in stocking of Muskies. Group panel may be a good idea.

Edited by kap 12/21/2022 8:59 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/21/2022 9:03 AM (#1016642 - in reply to #1016641)

I'd like to see Matt Hennen of the MN DNR talk about vermilion
happy hooker
Posted 12/21/2022 10:28 AM (#1016644 - in reply to #1016642)

I owe a big shout out to boring speakers,usually an early and long trek to a show is what I'm involved in and nodding off in back of room recharges you.
bloatlord
Posted 12/21/2022 10:28 AM (#1016645 - in reply to #1016642)

Musky 360 hosts for entertainment value.
Kevin Cochrane for general advice.
CincySkeez
Posted 12/21/2022 10:40 AM (#1016647 - in reply to #1016645)

The best speakers we have had at our chapter are DNR or fisheries related.

I will not and cannot sit through another hour about electronics.
kdawg
Posted 12/21/2022 11:06 AM (#1016648 - in reply to #1016647)

With Christmas days away, I wish I could of heard a seminar by Mr. Northwoods, the late Tony Rizzo. I will always give his book "Secrets of a Muskie Guide" as my starting point in my interest in muskie fishing. Next, I would liked to have heard a play by play, in his own words, Louie Spray describing his record muskie out of the Chippewa Flowage. Yeah, I now it's controversial, but what avid muskie fisherman would'nt? Kdawg
FlyPiker
Posted 12/21/2022 12:03 PM (#1016650 - in reply to #1016635)

I think the two seminars that I've listened to, that have really made me re-evaluate how I fish and saw positive results were Josh Brovsky (sorry if I butchered the spelling), and Steve Worral. Not trying to kiss butt, on that one. His thoughts on lure color and how he picks spots apart/fishes were particularly interesting for me.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/21/2022 1:33 PM (#1016651 - in reply to #1016650)

Some others I've seen that were interesting:

Reel guy - How to service/maintain/clean/fix reels. I've had all mine apart and back together many times, so not much value to me, but nearly everyone I've ever fished with has at least a couple reels that don't work right and no idea how to fix them or even where to send them.

Electronics - every other month there's someone on here asking what unit to buy and why, which brand is better, what you can actually do with them, how to wire them, what transducer, where to mount it.. Myself included, an awful lot of guys I've fished with don't make full use of their electronics because they don't fully understand them.

DNR/Fisheries guys are always interesting. Saves a lot of guys from chasing 50's where they aren't, never have been, and never will be. I know more than a few anglers who think they suck because they don't understand the limits of the waters they are fishing. I had one guy say to me: "Yeah, all I got was a 44" and a 47" out there" Jeez man. 47" might not be a trophy on the shield lakes but that's a #*^@ big fish in your neck of the woods!
ToddM
Posted 12/21/2022 2:21 PM (#1016652 - in reply to #1016635)

I've been the speaker director for FRV for around 18 years now. I don't think there is a bad subject, just a that some are better at presenting information than others.

What I have seen since social media has taken over is to just get a response back from someone you have contacted. I'd say half the people I either call, message, text or email don't bother to respond. If you get I'll get back to you which has happened many times they never do that's the end of it. Any further follow up goes unresponded. I've had big name people get back to me two months later. It used to be you could get a deal done in a day and often speakers would seek your club out. Not anymore. There are people who I could get a deal done in a day who no longer respond. It's a real head scratcher. I don't understand how some of them can run a business this way. This is a long list, not just a few people.

Edited by ToddM 12/21/2022 2:23 PM
TCESOX
Posted 12/21/2022 4:47 PM (#1016655 - in reply to #1016635)

Various DNR folks have been my favorites, by far. Also love listening to Larry Dahlberg. Have had the opportunity to have a couple lengthy conversations with him, and can't get enough. Not too interested in most guides' presentations. They aren't really that helpful, although I have appreciated a number of conversations with guides.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/22/2022 2:47 PM (#1016675 - in reply to #1016635)

Maybe social media has eliminated any perceived need for guides to travel around doing seminars??
RyanJoz
Posted 12/22/2022 4:02 PM (#1016676 - in reply to #1016675)

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL’s
ToddM
Posted 12/22/2022 4:09 PM (#1016677 - in reply to #1016675)

esoxaddict - 12/22/2022 2:47 PM

Maybe social media has eliminated any perceived need for guides to travel around doing seminars??

I am sure that's it. MI is also an aging crowd even though we still draw just as many people to our meetings. I used to easily have the schedule done by November I still have a month to fill I was told of a person who is interested I contacted them two different ways no response not to my surprise.
bloatlord
Posted 12/28/2022 11:20 AM (#1016760 - in reply to #1016675)

I still don't understand why some of the more successful old heads don't set up some sort of monthly mentorship for a continuing fee. The advent of discord, zoom, maps with a simple google search, etc. means that now, more than ever, you can run these things online. If you cap it off with a one week in person thing the way Heiting and others do, you could earn thousands from a single person per year. I would pay it. You could make group classes and really rake in the dough. Or does this already exist and the rubber cement is just destroying my memory?
sledge51
Posted 12/29/2022 6:38 AM (#1016765 - in reply to #1016635)

One of the best I ever saw was Gord Pyzer. Followed his writing in in-fisherman closely too. Dick P. and Doug J. were both great.
Skibum
Posted 12/29/2022 4:08 PM (#1016773 - in reply to #1016635)

I agree with sledge51. Gord P, Dick P & Doug J. We’re best I ever saw. I would love somebody (Musky Insider?) to figure out how to get those 3 together even on a remote video chat or something. That would be amazing! I think most current speakers at our collective muskies shows would agree a Q&A with these three would be great!
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/29/2022 6:02 PM (#1016775 - in reply to #1016652)

ToddM - 12/21/2022 2:21 PM

I've been the speaker director for FRV for around 18 years now. I don't think there is a bad subject, just a that some are better at presenting information than others.

What I have seen since social media has taken over is to just get a response back from someone you have contacted. I'd say half the people I either call, message, text or email don't bother to respond. If you get I'll get back to you which has happened many times they never do that's the end of it. Any further follow up goes unresponded. I've had big name people get back to me two months later. It used to be you could get a deal done in a day and often speakers would seek your club out. Not anymore. There are people who I could get a deal done in a day who no longer respond. It's a real head scratcher. I don't understand how some of them can run a business this way. This is a long list, not just a few people.

Do the clubs pay these speakers to come in and speak? I assume (silly me) that guys at the seminars at the outdoor shows get paid but I'm unsure of the club meetings.

The no response all rolls back to the lack of respect and manners that is America these days. I really don't understand people who are in business yet don't have the time to reply to questions about hiring them.
ToddM
Posted 12/29/2022 6:59 PM (#1016777 - in reply to #1016775)

Brian Hoffies - 12/29/2022 6:02 PM

ToddM - 12/21/2022 2:21 PM

Do the clubs pay these speakers to come in and speak? I assume (silly me) that guys at the seminars at the outdoor shows get paid but I'm unsure of the club meetings.

The no response all rolls back to the lack of respect and manners that is America these days. I really don't understand people who are in business yet don't have the time to reply to questions about hiring them.

Yes and we pay well. Some local speakers get 400 and they don't have an hour to drive. We've paid as much as a grand to far away guests. One super celeb we paid 2500. Meetings are not money makers for us when you consider the speaker and room fee and the cost of the raffle.

We also take into consideration when hiring a speaker it's a time of year that isn't busy for them.
ToddM
Posted 12/29/2022 7:03 PM (#1016778 - in reply to #1016760)

bloatlord - 12/28/2022 11:20 AM

I still don't understand why some of the more successful old heads don't set up some sort of monthly mentorship for a continuing fee. The advent of discord, zoom, maps with a simple google search, etc. means that now, more than ever, you can run these things online. If you cap it off with a one week in person thing the way Heiting and others do, you could earn thousands from a single person per year. I would pay it. You could make group classes and really rake in the dough. Or does this already exist and the rubber cement is just destroying my memory?

I know one person giving their extended content on YouTube for a monthly fee.

I think supporting speakers who go to clubs is a better way to go. I know not everyone lives close but M.I. clubs are the best way to organize and fundraise for musky stocking and related projects with structure and accountability. Trying to organize something on social media is a crap shoot based on blind trust.
bloatlord
Posted 12/29/2022 8:32 PM (#1016780 - in reply to #1016778)

ToddM - 12/29/2022 7:03 PM

bloatlord - 12/28/2022 11:20 AM

I know one person giving their extended content on YouTube for a monthly fee.

I think supporting speakers who go to clubs is a better way to go. I know not everyone lives close but M.I. clubs are the best way to organize and fundraise for musky stocking and related projects with structure and accountability. Trying to organize something on social media is a crap shoot based on blind trust.

Unfortunately, I live in South Dakota where we have no chapter. I will continue to try and drum up interest, but am reliant on the Spirit Lake/Okoboji chapter for now. 1 hour drive isnt bad, but it can be tough to get to know people.
happy hooker
Posted 12/31/2022 10:18 AM (#1016801 - in reply to #1016780)

Remember 15 or so years ago when "every" seminar and "every" speaker you heard was about throwing double tens!!! And I mean EVERY speaker,show,seminar you went to.
Well get used to the idea the same thing is going to happen again,,this time its all about open water, and open water trolling with,live scope,side imaging,electronics,, electronics,electronics!!!!!!
Ive already got a good preview of this from recent attendance at speakings,,this subject is gonna get rammed down your throat.
Headlock
Posted 1/7/2023 9:36 PM (#1016992 - in reply to #1016635)

My favorite over the years are Herbie, Jeff Hanson, Mike Kramer and Luke Ronnestrand. Mike Lazarus would be one I would travel to watch.
miket55
Posted 1/8/2023 8:59 PM (#1017004 - in reply to #1016801)

happy hooker - 12/31/2022 11:18 AM

Remember 15 or so years ago when "every" seminar and "every" speaker you heard was about throwing double tens!!! And I mean EVERY speaker,show,seminar you went to.
Well get used to the idea the same thing is going to happen again,,this time its all about open water, and open water trolling with,live scope,side imaging,electronics,, electronics,electronics!!!!!!
Ive already got a good preview of this from recent attendance at speakings,,this subject is gonna get rammed down your throat.

Looks like at least two seminars covering open water tactics are on the agenda at the Chicago show.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)