Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pike lures, for pack in trip

Message Subject: Pike lures, for pack in trip
North of 8
Posted 12/24/2022 7:35 AM (#1016713 - in reply to #1016711)
Subject: Re: Pike lures, for pack in trip

So many good suggestions! The idea of barbless, since I won't have a needle nose, appeals to me. Do you pinch the barb flat? Or replace with barbless hooks? Have zip experience with this.
TCESOX
Posted 12/24/2022 10:06 AM (#1016719 - in reply to #1016713)

North of 8 - 12/24/2022 7:35 AM

So many good suggestions! The idea of barbless, since I won't have a needle nose, appeals to me. Do you pinch the barb flat? Or replace with barbless hooks? Have zip experience with this.

Yup. Just grab a needle nose, and squish the barb down tight.
VMS
Posted 12/25/2022 4:48 PM (#1016736 - in reply to #1016444)

Yep...just squeeze them down like TCEsox Says...
NPike
Posted 12/26/2022 3:44 AM (#1016738 - in reply to #1016713)

just pinch down the barb with any hardened steel pliers. Even Owners x4S come clean. Sometimes I spin the bait while keeping it straight with sturdy pliers. you'll never know the difference unless the fish gets into slack-line. Helped remove headaches it's helped resolve when hooked to good sized fish and myself on same 3/0 trebles.
IAJustin
Posted 12/29/2022 10:01 PM (#1016783 - in reply to #1016444)

I’d spend the summer learning to throw a fly-rod… absolutely deadly on big pike up north. Easy to pack in and 20 flies will weigh less than a large spoon…
North of 8
Posted 12/30/2022 8:05 AM (#1016786 - in reply to #1016783)

IAJustin - 12/29/2022 10:01 PM

I’d spend the summer learning to throw a fly-rod… absolutely deadly on big pike up north. Easy to pack in and 20 flies will weigh less than a large spoon…

Sounds like fun, but if I get a permit and the trip is a go, I will be spending a lot of my summer on increasing lower body strength, buying a pair of hip boots and walking in a nearby swampy area with a back pack. I do strength training 3 days a week and walk 40 minutes to an hour every day but walking in a marsh with weight is a different story.
Being an old guy, I know that it will require additional work. Have already begun doing farmer carry laps, will add to those as well, as much as I don't like doing.
NPike
Posted 1/9/2023 5:16 PM (#1017035 - in reply to #1016444)

1) a large 8" z-man magnum shad with 8/0 trout eye jig, great swimbait I like white.
2) Saltwater X-Rap Rapala 1.5 oz great jerkbaait for 3 to 4 ' down
3) Johnson silver minnow with a fat tailed grub
4) 6" grandma "Holo"
Pikebait
Posted 1/9/2023 6:44 PM (#1017040 - in reply to #1017035)

I do a ton of pike fishing but make all my own lures and my top 4 styles of lure would be

1) 6-8inch dive and rise
2 5-6 inch glider
3) 6-10incn paddle tail swimbait
4) large curly tail style hybrid baits

Honestly if it’s pike 30 inches or less they are not picky and almost anything will do. I find larger pike are picker and prefer larger baits
talmooner
Posted 1/10/2023 3:37 PM (#1017053 - in reply to #1016444)

Check the Kanalgratis site https://us.kanalgratis.se/en/
The have lots of pike options and many things you don't normally see in the US.
The Dobb Daddy Spinfly and Miuras Mouse are 2 examples of pike lures they have that are based on traditional fly-fishing flies that have been recrafted for casting/spinning set ups.
I fish the Northwest Territories for pike every year (except COVID years) and use lots of their gear. It is high quality and works especially well for larger like in the 40" plus range.

Another supper light option is the "Hairy Killer" by Abu Garcia. This is available only through European shops online as far as I know. It is essentially a giant fly tied like a bucktail. When it gets wet you can cast it easily with a spinning set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhRgBaJYgCY

Alaska pike are on my bucket list. They have some giants, hope you have great success both hunting and fishing.

Talmooner

North of 8
Posted 1/11/2023 8:29 AM (#1017063 - in reply to #1017053)

Yes, the outfitter we hope to use for the moose hunting actually does more business outfitting during the summer months for pike fisherman and the photos of the trophy pike are impressive. But my goal, if we get this trip organized, is to catch fish we can eat. The outfitter sells a food package and according to a former client, you will not be hungry but will want variety. Still waiting for the outfitter to get back to us with final pricing and apparently, he is trying to figure out what inflation is going to do to his costs. Gas is expensive in Alaska in the best of times, sure it is terrible now. The irony is they have a lot of oil, but it all has to be transported a great distance and then transported back as refined fuel. First time I was in Alaska, in 2010, the politicians were running ads in Anchorage about how they were going to get a refinery built in AK, which is a long term pipe dream there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)