Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Matt - "I got one. FECK! The #*^@ thing straightened my spinnerbait" Brian- "Wait, wait, what do you mean it straightened it?" Matt- "It looks like a #*^@ inline spinner" Brian- "Sucks to be you" My buddy and myself fishing for northern in western Nebraska
- (Added by: sker_fishr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Through Hole Drilling

Message Subject: Through Hole Drilling
Mark1
Posted 10/19/2022 1:48 PM (#1013923)
Subject: Through Hole Drilling

I'm new to lure building and am wondering how you all go about drilling a through hole lengthwise in a piece of wood. Wood stock can vary from 3" to 6" long. The wire through the hole will be .061 or smaller, so I assume the hole/drill bit would need to be max of 3/32" (.094). Ideas??
jdsplasher
Posted 10/20/2022 6:14 AM (#1013942 - in reply to #1013923)
Subject: RE: Through Hole Drilling

Many use 1/8” drill bit. At least my top waters sport that size. Get a 6” bit. 1/8”.  Drill hole first, on your drill press,  then lathe , as holes help center turning of body.

I’ve known some that drilled hole after turning body on lathe. Some kind of Jig a must to keep hole/bit straight. 

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 10/20/2022 6:24 AM
RJ_692
Posted 10/20/2022 10:57 AM (#1013958 - in reply to #1013923)
Subject: Re: Through Hole Drilling

most important is to get the holes centered on the ends. drill from both directions, meet in the middle. accuracy depends on exactly the type of bait. if its a round bait, or starting round its definitely best to do on a lathe, chuck it up once you have it round, then drill a pilot hole from each end. once i have that i can just use a long bit to get them to meet up. if you dont have a chuck on the lathe, then i once you have your block round, i will take off and drill those pilot holes by hand, then put back on and finish shaping.

for non lathed baits marking the center of the ends is the most critical part
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)