Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Rust on stainless steel rails and corrosion on equipment

Reply New post
Message Subject: Rust on stainless steel rails and corrosion on equipment
ViperAce
Posted 8/28/2022 8:34 AM (#1011147)
Subject: Rust on stainless steel rails and corrosion on equipment

Strangest thing happened. I leave my Ranger in my garage in N Wisco. Never had a rust problem. Came back after not being there for 3 weeks and I had rust on the front stainless rails and certain rod/leader/reel components. The rust was isolated only to the front casting deck area. There was also green corrosion on all leader components. Certain parts of my St Croix Tournament Legends had corrosion (small ring at top of fore grip and reel seat tightening ring). I also have some Stradic spinning reels and there is green corrosion on the "brass" or "gold" parts of the reel (not sure the type of metal)

No rust on any other stainless in the boat and no corrosion on equipment in rear of boat.

Any ideas?
ViperAce
Posted 8/28/2022 8:55 AM (#1011148 - in reply to #1011147)
Subject: RE: Rust on stainless steel rails and corrosion on equipment

here are a couple picts... hooks all seriously rusted... in just 3 weeks and they were in open air (not in a sealed box), on front deck area

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_7319.HEIC (133KB - 171 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7322.HEIC (135KB - 115 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 8/28/2022 9:32 AM (#1011149 - in reply to #1011148)
Subject: Re: Rust on stainless steel rails and corrosion on equipment

Strange is the right word. Almost seems like there might be some form of chemical vapor involved. There is a member who posts as Chemi, chemical engineer, maybe he would have some insight.
I have fished a couple times when visiting my sister and brother in law in Alaska. They live right on the water and even in that salt water environment didn't see corrosion like that, in particular, that quickly.
TCESOX
Posted 8/28/2022 10:12 AM (#1011151 - in reply to #1011147)

Are there batteries near that area? Perhaps a lost seal, allowing gasses to escape. Just spit balling, as it is pretty perplexing.
ViperAce
Posted 8/28/2022 3:56 PM (#1011162 - in reply to #1011151)

North of 8 and TCESOX... both good thoughts. I was thinking the same thing.

Something accelerated the corrosion process. I have had mold in my garage before, so I always keep the windows cracked. When I left the last time, the garage was perfectly dry, so I wanted to see if it would be an issue if I closed the windows... pretty sure that is a contributing factor. 3 weeks later I went up there to find the corrosion.

Weird thing is it is isolated to only the front deck of the boat. Similar type of metal all over the garage but no corrosion.

All of the leader components look like battery terminals with green corrosion. Hooks completely rusted and ruined...

Maybe some sort of short in front of boat providing electrical current?
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2022 4:33 PM (#1011163 - in reply to #1011147)

Was your charger plugged in a grounded outlet?
ViperAce
Posted 8/28/2022 4:48 PM (#1011164 - in reply to #1011163)

nope. usually is but this time it was not. master power switch was off too
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2022 5:04 PM (#1011165 - in reply to #1011147)

Has to be something environmental. That much acceleration is really odd.
Chemi
Posted 8/29/2022 8:10 AM (#1011171 - in reply to #1011147)

(Not a chem. engineer; was a laser spectroscopist (ret.))

Acid vapors/fumes could do it. Phosphoric, muriatic (hydrochloric), sulfuric (battery acid), oxalic acid, boric acid (ant poison), even vinegar (acetic acid) are all common acids that may be found in a garage. Get the surface pH down to about 1.0 and SS will rust. I guess whatever produced the fumes was by/on the front of your boat. Checked your boat batteries for leaks lately?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)