Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?
TheShow
Posted 8/19/2022 9:39 AM (#1010908)
Subject: Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?

I have a 2017 Lund Impact 1775 - 17'10" with a 94" beam, single console. We are starting to do more trolling so I'm considering adding a kicker.
Do I need long shaft or will short suffice?
Do I heed a 9.9? or will a 8hp (or smaller) work good enough?
Must I use Mercury ProKicker? Or can I use a regular Mercury?

I never troll faster than 4mph. All my fish seem to come going slower than that.
I did a search here on the site already but most of the responses were related to kickers on glass boats.
Thanks!
Big Show
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2022 7:18 PM (#1010937 - in reply to #1010908)
Subject: Re: Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?

The Pro Kicker has a heavier bracket, power tilt, a prop designed for trolling, more robust gearing, and an alternator. Worth the bucks.

From the Mercury website:
ProKicker Performance Data
Reliability & Durability

ProKicker outboards generate serious torque, making easy work of moving heavy boats. And because the engine works less, it lasts longer, for years of reliable service.

Lightweight & Compact
ProKicker outboards are compact enough to mount in tight spaces on small boats. They’re also incredibly light, for better overall boating performance.

Powerful Alternator
Even at low speeds, the alternator delivers powerful battery-charging output to keep onboard electronics humming. And there are no belts or bearings to maintain.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/prok...

Intuitive, Innovative Features

Exceptionally Smooth and Quiet
We balanced the powerhead to make it smoother and crafted soft-rubber mounts that isolate vibration and direct it away. Whether you’re fishing in a quiet cove or having a conversation, you’ll enjoy every minute on the water.

Easy to Maintain
Spend less time on service and more time on the water with our no-spill oil change system, easy-change gear lube and lifetime maintenance-free valve train.

Custom-Matched Prop
Big boats. Rough waters. No problem. A high-thrust four-blade propeller delivers enhanced trolling speed authority so you can dial in precise presentations every time.

Advanced Mercury Tiller
Port side or starboard, you pick the mounting location, and the tiller adapts to you. Its reversible throttle grip can be configured for control with either hand, while lateral adjustments ensure a convenient steering angle.

Power Tilt
No need to lean or strain to stow or deploy the engine. Mercury EFI-equipped ProKicker outboards come standard with power tilt.

I think one of the really big selling points is the power tilt, for a couple reasons not the least of which is securing the engine in rough conditions when under power with the main engine.
madmusky
Posted 8/20/2022 9:41 AM (#1010949 - in reply to #1010908)
Subject: RE: Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?

Whats your big motor?
What does it troll down to?
Musky only? or Multi-species?
Have you given consideration to a Vantage?
https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/freshwater-trolling-motor...
pklingen
Posted 8/20/2022 8:04 PM (#1010951 - in reply to #1010908)

get the merc pro kicker like steve said. get the EFI and comes with the bigger alternator. buy right once and done! got it on my impact 1875 port side. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheShow
Posted 8/22/2022 7:50 AM (#1010974 - in reply to #1010949)
Subject: RE: Kicker for Lund Impact 1775?

madmusky - 8/20/2022 9:41 AM

Whats your big motor?
What does it troll down to?
Musky only? or Multi-species?
Have you given consideration to a Vantage?
https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/freshwater-trolling-motor...

Merc 115; It will troll down to about 2.8. The kicker would mostly be used for muskies since lately I've just been using the trolling motor for walleyes at 1.0 - 1.5mph.
CincySkeez
Posted 8/22/2022 3:37 PM (#1010987 - in reply to #1010908)

Alternator is misleading, those engines have a stator.

ECU, shaft length and prop selection is the only actual difference.

Edited by CincySkeez 8/22/2022 4:13 PM
VMS
Posted 8/22/2022 8:24 PM (#1010997 - in reply to #1010908)

Hiya,

That particular size boat you can go with an 8hp and do just fine. I would agree though, the pro kicker is a great way to go...especially the efi. Although heavier overall, the efi pro kicker will allow you a few things not just trolling related.

The efi 9.9 kicker is about 122 pounds as compared the 4 stroke 8hp which is just under 90...not too bad overall and the weight, regardless of what you go with will move the center of gravity of the boat back, allowing the big motor to have an easier time trimming the bow. The downfall is the boat might sit a little lower in the rear at rest, but it shouldn't be too bad.

The other aspect...safety with the ability to get off the water. A friend many years ago was out on leech lake with his Ranger boat. Didn't have a kicker and his big motor went down in a blow. He was walleye fishing on the windy side of a point and sure enough...was blown into the rocks, destroyed his boat, and had to be rescued. A kicker would have saved the day.

EFI is so much better than a carb engine as everything is controlled making the engine sip fuel.

If money is an issue, the 8 will do well also. I have an 8hp on my rig which is almost 19 feet. I purchased a solas 4 blade trolling propeller (big fat ears like you see on the yamaha pro kickers) and even with that prop, I still can get up to 5.5 mph full throttle.

No matter what you choose, a kicker is always a good thing....you cannot go wrong with the choices you have put out there.

Steve
RJ_692
Posted 8/23/2022 8:09 AM (#1011006 - in reply to #1010908)

i have an 6hp nissan on a 692, which is sensitive to the added weight so i thought the lightweight motor would be good.

its fine, however i would never do a single cylinder engine again. it vibrates so much more than when i had a T8 on my last rig.

I am currently planning to go back to a twin, likely the 9.9 pro kicker, the non efi version is just a tad over 100#'s. I believe this is the lightest twin available.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)