Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The Hunt, new tech, how it feels. Or "back down the rabbit hole".

Message Subject: The Hunt, new tech, how it feels. Or "back down the rabbit hole".
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2022 9:52 AM (#1010803 - in reply to #1010799)
Subject: Re: The Hunt, new tech, how it feels. Or "back down the rabbit hole".

Interesting about the CWD. Wis. Public Radio has a morning show where the host interviews a variety of folks and listeners can call in. One semi regular guest is a retired natural resources person who lives in southern WI but has a cabin in northern WI. Last winter he talked about how he and his adult son hunted on land he owns in S. WI and two things stood out. He has had the land for over 40 years and he said last season there were the fewest shots fired opening weekend in that time period, despite there being a lot of deer. The second thing was that both he and his son got bucks, which they butchered but did not eat until getting back the CWD report from the state. Unfortunately, both deer were infected and they tossed the meat. He stated the 4 of the last 6 bucks they shot were infected and that his neighbors have similar results. He said he personally knew a number of guys who have quit deer hunting for that reason. He is close to doing the same, despite having hunted deer for almost 60 years.
State of WI is yet again paying tens of thousands to a deer farm where the herd is infected. Seems to me it should be the other way around, the deer farm were the original source of CWD. Guess they have better lobbyists than hunters.
sworrall
Posted 8/16/2022 9:59 AM (#1010804 - in reply to #1010778)

'It's more just the driving around and sharp shooting method that live sonar can do that's the problem. I don't see an issue with using it while you are actively standing up and casting. I'm going to give in to this method at this point because I know it's not going anywhere. I chose to not use it in such a way that I would consider cheating but many others will continue to do so and there's nothing I can do about it. '

That's exactly where I am with this. There is something we can collectively do about it though, educate and keep up the discussion. Abusing the tech to the point of damaging the fishery is NOT cool, and if we make that point with a coordinated message, over and over, without anger and too much vitriol, it will eventually become 'not cool' for pretty much everyone. If sharpshooting overall is considered weak or 'cheating' and abusive to the sport we love, most will not promote it. No one wants to be 'that guy', as is obvious to me through the past battles for CPR (I WAS that guy in the early 70's...I killed a bunch of big muskies) and size limits. That's exactly why I said I think we'll be OK as we navigate through the advances in gear for the sport.

Mercury Marine puts out a newsletter we publish, and today's has a forward-looking sonar article in it. Keith will have it up soon.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/16/2022 11:47 AM (#1010811 - in reply to #1010804)

sworrall - 8/16/2022 9:59 AM

'It's more just the driving around and sharp shooting method that live sonar can do that's the problem. I don't see an issue with using it while you are actively standing up and casting. I'm going to give in to this method at this point because I know it's not going anywhere. I chose to not use it in such a way that I would consider cheating but many others will continue to do so and there's nothing I can do about it. '

That's exactly where I am with this. There is something we can collectively do about it though, educate and keep up the discussion. Abusing the tech to the point of damaging the fishery is NOT cool, and if we make that point with a coordinated message, over and over, without anger and too much vitriol, it will eventually become 'not cool' for pretty much everyone. If sharpshooting overall is considered weak or 'cheating' and abusive to the sport we love, most will not promote it. No one wants to be 'that guy', as is obvious to me through the past battles for CPR (I WAS that guy in the early 70's...I killed a bunch of big muskies) and size limits. That's exactly why I said I think we'll be OK as we navigate through the advances in gear for the sport.

Mercury Marine puts out a newsletter we publish, and today's has a forward-looking sonar article in it. Keith will have it up soon.

Good points Steve!
esoxaddict
Posted 8/16/2022 12:36 PM (#1010813 - in reply to #1010811)

Education will help for sure. Not with those who don't care about being ethical, of course, but for those who just don't know any better it will. You can't ban technology since there's no real way to enforce it. What I see this leading to is increased size limits, reduced creel limits, and more sustainable regulations across the board. That's been a long time coming and it needs to happen anyway.
jchiggins
Posted 8/16/2022 2:53 PM (#1010821 - in reply to #1010618)

http://www.timberjay.com/stories/different-perspectives-on-vermilio...
Good read!
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2022 3:20 PM (#1010823 - in reply to #1010813)

esoxaddict - 8/16/2022 12:36 PM

Education will help for sure. Not with those who don't care about being ethical, of course, but for those who just don't know any better it will. You can't ban technology since there's no real way to enforce it. What I see this leading to is increased size limits, reduced creel limits, and more sustainable regulations across the board. That's been a long time coming and it needs to happen anyway.

I agree. The creel limits for panfish were reduced 6 years ago on the chain where I live. Prior to that, in late winter you would see guys with GPS head out to the cribs, fill five gallon buckets with crappie and then head back to their truck. Now that they can only keep 10 crappie, which is more than enough for a meal, that group does not come out to that spot anymore.
bturg
Posted 8/16/2022 4:55 PM (#1010831 - in reply to #1010794)

7.62xJay - 8/15/2022 11:51 PM

Not really sure how much pull the patent office has on state legislative matters. I should hope little to none.

They don't but the current existence and widespread use of it makes it very hard for individual states to actually ban it. The manufactures would be lining up to file suit and the states won't take on that battle. My reference to the patents was simply that government agencies knew about it long ago and that would have been the time to stop it...not after private companies invested millions to develop it. Plus like fishing out of season it would be very difficult to enforce a ban on it.

"Road Hunting" from the article linked above quoted from Matt Snyder...great analogy.

Like your bow hunting statement...look at today's gear vs 40 years ago...or even 10, lots of changes. You can buy a setup today, shoot a hand full of arrows and go hunting tomorrow with some confidence...not so with a stick bow.

Edited by bturg 8/16/2022 4:59 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/16/2022 5:04 PM (#1010833 - in reply to #1010831)

One problem is that it only takes a few guides to hammer a lake to death. In the timberjay article, the author admits to road hunting himself but knows the damage it’s causing. He’s basically stating that it’s the only effective way to catch fish on vermilion currently. And not that many others are doing it. Most fisherman still fish the real way. Just a few guys can ruin it for everyone. Some guides are reporting well over 100 Muskies a season right now while road hunting. The norm used to be closer to 40-60. That’s for vermilion specifically.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)