Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)

Message Subject: How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)
chuckski
Posted 8/5/2022 9:11 AM (#1010458)
Subject: How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)

What do you eat up north? Fish Fry, Pizza, Big breakfast, something regional, go out to eat? Or eat in cabin or resort?
sworrall
Posted 8/5/2022 9:20 AM (#1010459 - in reply to #1010458)
Subject: Re: How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)

Fish fry!
North of 8
Posted 8/5/2022 9:44 AM (#1010463 - in reply to #1010459)

There is a bar and grill across the lake from my place and a lot of fishermen take a break, dock and go up for a big juicy burger with a side of cheese curds before returning to the lake.
CincySkeez
Posted 8/5/2022 10:19 AM (#1010464 - in reply to #1010458)

Very partial to pizza and a pitcher of lite beer when taking a break
R/T
Posted 8/5/2022 10:38 AM (#1010465 - in reply to #1010458)

We like to mix it up. Supper club a couple of nights. Frozen pizza at least one night. Grill out a couple of nights. We have our favorite breakfast spot as well. I fish from 11 to 4 these days.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 8/5/2022 11:16 AM (#1010466 - in reply to #1010458)

We usually eat a big breakfast then just bring some snacks in our pockets.
ToddM
Posted 8/5/2022 11:19 AM (#1010467 - in reply to #1010458)

All the above mix it up. As far as what to eat out it depends on what's there and worth going to.
chuckski
Posted 8/5/2022 11:40 AM (#1010468 - in reply to #1010458)

As a teenager I would spend the summer at my grandparents home on a lake in Wisconsin. My grandparents were not a Muskie fishermen, they would catch a few Walleyes, Perch, a Northern, and a lot of Cappies so once a week or sometimes twice a week it was a home cooked fish fry. Then on Saturday nights it was off to church in Eagle River my Lutheran grandparents dumped me off at St. Peters (The Fishermens Church) then after church we would stop and eat at Hardee's always Roast Beef. (I think that was the special) similar to Arby's. Once a summer we would eat at Eliason's in St. Germain and once a summer White Stag north of Sugar Camp. We alway's got the En Brocette came with a big baked potato a lettuce
wedge and basket of white and wheat rolls. A couple times a summer I would row my old wooden boat across the lake and buy a Tombstone Pizza at a resort. Polly at the resort would cook it in toaster oven I would shot pool while it was cooking and wash it down with a pop. It was even better when I turned 18 and had a beer. Later years the whole family came an we would fly into Rhinelander eat in town after a long flight from California. (Rhinelander Pub) After we moved to Colorado we would get off work early on Thursday we would drive all night stop at Rollie & Helens spend a couple hours fishing a action lake catch a couple Muskies then off to Friday night fish fry. Found good Pizza places, Frozen Pasties, and in Minnesota Stuffed hash Browns.
North of 8
Posted 8/5/2022 12:28 PM (#1010470 - in reply to #1010464)

CincySkeez - 8/5/2022 10:19 AM

Very partial to pizza and a pitcher of lite beer when taking a break :)

The bar on the lake where I live makes great from scratch pizza and has lite beer on tap, but if I ate that while taking a break, I would have to take a nap on the rear deck before resuming casting ;>). All those carbs put me right to sleep.
chuckski
Posted 8/5/2022 3:56 PM (#1010477 - in reply to #1010458)

Yup John I've had so many mom and pop shop Pizza's up in the woods in resorts, bars, wide spots in the road most are thin and cut into Squares! I write of the Tombstones not because there the best but because they started out as Frozen Pizza's made in a bar in Medford Wis. and turned into something big! In my mind a Wisconsin Treasure. 1986 Kraft bought them out and little down hill but still good. In 1991 when I moved to Colorado I was poking around the frozen section at the store and I found a Tombstone I was a happy guy, we did not have Tombstone Pizza in California. And to keep from falling asleep take the row boat.
miket55
Posted 8/5/2022 9:47 PM (#1010482 - in reply to #1010458)

First evening, (Saturday) a nice prime rib, (Pike's Pine Isle, Three Lakes) some decadence in the middle, usually a big ol' greasy, artery clogging pizza, (Lumpy's in Eagle River) and the obligatory fish fry to put an exclamation point on the trip (again Pine Isle).. all with a moderate quantity of adult beverages, and after the boat's been docked for the evening..

If I'm in Eagle River around lunchtime, I'll get a Chicago style hot dog from House of Dog's.

As for breakfast... Daybreak Cafe, next to Scottie's Bait Shop in Three Lakes. Dee Dee's in Sugar Camp just north of the Hwy 17, and County A intersection, and Lucy's Lunchbox on Wall St. in Eagle River..

Elsewhere, I seek out recommendations from locals.. and rarely get a bum steer..

Edited by miket55 8/5/2022 10:20 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 8/6/2022 11:43 AM (#1010490 - in reply to #1010482)

There are a few things I never do at home that are a must when we're up North:

1. Breakfast: 3 cups of coffee, 1 bloody mary and then the works. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausage and toast.
2. Old fashioned Supper Club meal. You know the deal: Bread, breadsticks and crackers with cheese, soup, salad and than an entree which consists of a hunk of meat the size of a plate, a giant baked potato, and some sort of vegetable.
3. We always take one day where our goal is to catch enough fish for dinner. That's only failed us once. We wound up having to eat a pike. How bad can it be, right? Well, needless to say we try to catch them now and throw the walleyes back. We also make sure to eat at least one largemouth bass. Not the greatest table fare, but the #*^@ things are everywhere the last few years. Fish is always served with fried potatoes and onions.
4. We also have a night where we cook our entire meal on the fire. Nothing beats burnt meat on a stick and a baked potato in the coals.
5. Beer and Manhattans. Don't drink either much at home, but I drink an awful lot of both up North.
chuckski
Posted 8/7/2022 3:25 PM (#1010531 - in reply to #1010458)

My family laughs at me over this one. A place we eat at for years with is now gone, but one year a ordered a Turtle Waffle witch is a Waffle with Ice cream, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, whipped cream, nuts, chocolate chips and a cherry on top. I had this two trips in a row then one year a bad electrical storm went thru and the place lost power and all the Ice cream went bad and they stopped monkeying with ice cream after that. (and mom was happy)! And this will seem weird in todays market one summer (1978) my cousin was going back to work after plant shut down and we were going to have a big going away party. A relative said I'll make you guy's Mexican feast if you buy the stuff. We went to three stores in Eagle River then a store in St. Germain and finally down to Rhinelander to get all the stuff. We had a great time but the next morning was a good looking Muskie day and we were too hang over to fish and the hack Muskie next door lost two muskies in the weed bed in front of my grandparents house.
ghoti
Posted 8/8/2022 11:24 AM (#1010545 - in reply to #1010458)
Subject: RE: How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)

Make a parking lot big enough and designed for trailer parking.
chuckski
Posted 8/8/2022 11:43 AM (#1010547 - in reply to #1010545)
Subject: RE: How to catch a Muskie (fishermen)

ghoti - 8/8/2022 11:24 AM

Make a parking lot big enough and designed for trailer parking.

That is a great point! In the late 70's there were two famous tackle shops in downtown Eagle River (Crossroads& Spiess) and they both went away around the same time and George Langley opened Eagle sport down on the far side of town and a lot of folks thought he was foolish for not staying downtown. "there are places for people to park there boats here"
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/8/2022 1:33 PM (#1010551 - in reply to #1010458)

I pretty much eat normal since being up north is a daily occurrence for me and the rest of us who live here
North of 8
Posted 8/8/2022 2:09 PM (#1010552 - in reply to #1010551)

Kirby Budrow - 8/8/2022 1:33 PM

I pretty much eat normal since being up north is a daily occurrence for me and the rest of us who live here :)

Ha! Yes, I used to go out to eat a lot more when we had a seasonal cabin where we built our retirement home.
TheShow
Posted 8/10/2022 1:38 PM (#1010645 - in reply to #1010552)

A few years ago we started tailgating at boat landings. It only works if you can beach the boat or slip it somewhere so it doesn't interfere with guys loading/launching. Once the boats are secured we break out the lawn chairs in the boat trailer lot, fire up the grill, and open the cooler. It's a nice hour break, Miller Park/Lambeau style, then back on the water for the night bite. We typically fish Noon til dark so this is like our 5PM dinner break. Its a good time!
TheShow
Posted 8/10/2022 1:43 PM (#1010646 - in reply to #1010645)

One other thing, living in Vilas County for 5 years now, my biggest gripe is that most restaurants close their kitchen at 9PM. If I head out fishing after work, I can't get a bite to eat when I quit at dark. Especially in June when it stays light out until 10PM. I don't see this ever changing with bars/restaurants so short staffed right now. Sayner Pub's kitchen is open until 10PM - they're one of the very few. Excellent food!!
North of 8
Posted 8/10/2022 2:19 PM (#1010648 - in reply to #1010646)

TheShow - 8/10/2022 1:43 PM

One other thing, living in Vilas County for 5 years now, my biggest gripe is that most restaurants close their kitchen at 9PM. If I head out fishing after work, I can't get a bite to eat when I quit at dark. Especially in June when it stays light out until 10PM. I don't see this ever changing with bars/restaurants so short staffed right now. Sayner Pub's kitchen is open until 10PM - they're one of the very few. Excellent food!!

A.lot of places up north simply can't get enough help. Bar and grill on the lake where I live started closing their kitchen at 9 this year. Owner is primary cook and he just couldn't keep going. Thing to remember is they typically have a couple hours prep work, either before or after kitchen closes to get ready for next day.
chuckski
Posted 8/10/2022 2:34 PM (#1010649 - in reply to #1010458)

Last year we took a seat of pants last minute trip (no fishing) to Racine, Rhinelander, and St. Germain then home. (we were supposed to go to Green Bay too but my sister honked that up) but any how we stayed in Rhinelander one night and St. Germain another and we tried to eat lunch in St. Germain and almost the whole town was shut down at lunch time (no one was hardly open) so we ended up eating in Sayner. Yup John I know what you mean!
mikie
Posted 8/12/2022 2:39 PM (#1010712 - in reply to #1010458)

cornbread. m
miket55
Posted 8/12/2022 11:43 PM (#1010729 - in reply to #1010712)

mikie - 8/12/2022 3:39 PM

cornbread. m

You got some hand churned butter to go with that?
southern comfort
Posted 8/18/2022 12:24 PM (#1010889 - in reply to #1010458)

We are old school and plan week long fishing trips early Summer and Fall for the last 20 years in Vilas/Oneida County area. Our tradition includes Friday night fish fry, greasy pizza one night and burgers one night at one of the many options that are all good. We end the week with steaks on the grill where we stay. Gin and Tonics in the summer and scotch in the fall. We eat light and fish musky hard from 6:00 am to 3:30pm. Stop for dinner and then fish walleye from 6:30 until dark. Nothing too unusual but any food always tastes great the week we are fishing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)