Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> BRP Switch Style Fishing Boats?

Reply New post
Message Subject: BRP Switch Style Fishing Boats?
North of 8
Posted 8/3/2022 7:36 AM (#1010378)
Subject: BRP Switch Style Fishing Boats?

BRP, the parent company of Evinrude, has repurposed their facility in Racine County, WI where they previously made Evinrude Outboards to making a new style of 'pontoon' boats called "Switch". The hull is made up of a proprietary composite, the power comes from the same style of motor and jet propulsion used on their large personal watercraft. Instead of a steering wheel it has handlebar controls with all controls right there at your fingertips, making docking and other maneuvering easier. I was surprised to see that the largest Switch with a 10 person capacity can hit 44mph. So far demand has outpaced their production capacity.

Got me to thinking, in part because my boat is in the shop getting a new lower unit after hitting a floating log, might they use the same technology for a fishing boat? No prop, so less chance of damage, can operate in shallow water. Lighter weight than traditional boats. Probably not a good choice for big water, but for a lot of northern WI, might be a good option. No indication they are thinking of doing something like that, but, why not?
CincySkeez
Posted 8/16/2022 4:04 PM (#1010827 - in reply to #1010378)
Subject: Re: BRP Switch Style Fishing Boats?

North this is exactly why I run an outboard jet. Was up on LOTW all weekend and man does it feel nice not to have to worry about a prop.
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2022 4:10 PM (#1010828 - in reply to #1010827)

CincySkeez - 8/16/2022 4:04 PM

North this is exactly why I run an outboard jet. Was up on LOTW all weekend and man does it feel nice not to have to worry about a prop.

I know they can go very shallow. My sister's step-son is a commercial fisherman in Alaska and he has a skiff with a jet drive that he can take up the rock filled river by their place in SE Alaska with no more than six inches of water. My brother in law is not sure of the utility but he said it is amazing how little water it needs.
RJ_692
Posted 8/18/2022 8:00 AM (#1010882 - in reply to #1010378)

not sure on the switch stuff, but their new outboards on the alumacrafts are an interesting idea
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)