Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Figure8 & net handling questions

Message Subject: Figure8 & net handling questions
Skibum
Posted 7/31/2022 3:14 PM (#1010324)
Subject: Figure8 & net handling questions

Hey guys, 2 questions: I see on lots of videos on figure8’s guys stretching way out with only one hand on back of rod doing figure 8. I assume this is to make wider/deeper 8. It simply seems an accident waiting to happen to me, I always try to have two hands on rod while figure 8ing. 2nd question: After netting fish & ideally quickly removing hook from musky, I NEXT remove fish from net for release. I NEVER try to unhook lure from the net while the musky is still in net because a thrashing musky may drive hooks into my hand while fish & lure are both in net thrashing. Just appreciate thoughts.
Rudedog
Posted 7/31/2022 5:12 PM (#1010328 - in reply to #1010324)
Subject: RE: Figure8 & net handling questions

I pretty much agree with your points. 1st, After the stuff i have had happen to me, I would never reach out on the 8 with just one hand way on back of the rod as I see in some vids.
2nd, Sometimes I need to get the lure out of bag if it is holding up the net, thus keeping fish out of the water. while i ready the camera. I have been hooked reaching in bag to grab a fish, so.....sometimes best to side on safety first.
For the fish and myself.

Edited by Rudedog 7/31/2022 7:10 PM
Emptynet
Posted 8/1/2022 8:32 PM (#1010345 - in reply to #1010324)

Get a Grabb-It for unhooking the fish. Your hand is 16" away from teeth & hooks.
Rudedog
Posted 8/1/2022 9:56 PM (#1010346 - in reply to #1010345)

Agree. The Grabb-it is a great tool. Use mine all the time.
Jeremy
Posted 8/2/2022 1:29 PM (#1010363 - in reply to #1010345)

Emptynet - 8/1/2022 8:32 PM

Get a Grabb-It for unhooking the fish. Your hand is 16" away from teeth & hooks.
Yup, indeed, only makes sense. Excellent tool but - mines still a virgin! :))
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/3/2022 2:41 PM (#1010400 - in reply to #1010324)
Subject: Re: Figure8 & net handling questions

Regarding the figure 8 question.. I would say know your limitations. I personally will figure 8 with one hand but am very careful to brace the butt end of rod on my forearm, and make sure not to extend so far as to paint myself in a corner or run out of room to set the hook. I have witnessed some anglers who are much more athletic than me, I wouldn't question them reaching way out, and still sticking a giant fish.

I agree with your second point...Unless the lure is just dangling there by one or two hooks, I just leave it in the net until the fish is released.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/9/2022 10:21 AM (#1010585 - in reply to #1010324)

I use one hand if I need to reach out and get the bait in front of the fish. At that point you're really only trying to get its attention and lure it back into a regular figure 8. I wouldn't want it to bite way out there. And I use pliers r whatever to take the hook out of the net first. Reaching into the net for the fish with the hooks still there is a risk also. Knock on wood, I've never had a hook in the hand. Was close the other night with a 13'' grandma. Hate unhooking crankbait fish...

I saw a video once where the fisherman cut every hook on a headlock before even attempting to unhook the fish. Seems extreme but I don't think you can be too cautious. A hook in the hand can ruin a lot of good things.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/9/2022 10:51 AM (#1010586 - in reply to #1010585)

I came close a few times. Once with a fish that came unpinned on it's way into the net, leaving a double 10 stuck in the edge of the bag. I saw it there, and thought "Oh, that's not in the way. I'll get the fish and and deal with the lure later." The fish freaked out and spun itself up in the net as soon as I touched it. I got what basically amounted to a paper cut across one of my knuckles from one of the hook points. 1/8" either way and that hook would have gone through my knuckle. Yeah, get the lure out of there first. Cut hooks if you have to. Hooks are cheap. Baits are cheap. Hospitals are not, and permanently jacking up your hands doesn't sound like fun.
Rudedog
Posted 8/9/2022 12:53 PM (#1010595 - in reply to #1010585)

Kirby Budrow - 8/9/2022 10:21 AM

. . . . . . . . . Seems extreme but I don't think you can be too cautious. A hook in the hand can ruin a lot of good things.

Or in the forearm.
First hand experience. Not fun. ALONE! ..and still hooked to the 40"er

Edited by Rudedog 8/9/2022 1:01 PM
Ranger
Posted 8/9/2022 1:56 PM (#1010598 - in reply to #1010324)

Here's how bad it can get. Upper 30"s fish and me sharing a Poe's Giant Jackpot with improved hooks. That black hole further up on my finger? That's where the hook point protruded while the fish was thrashing at boatside. In the hospital they had to hold my hand down and force the hook back up thru that hole far enough to cut the hook below the barb. Just about broke my finger. Using 5X strong hooks, well, they had to send an orderly to the tool shed for bolt cutters because the heavy-duty ER side cutters wouldn't even dent the hook. Dr said I was very lucky to have not suffered nerve damage, something that would have gimped my hand forever.

Edited by Ranger 8/9/2022 2:26 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(20170922_123633.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20170922_123633.jpg (329KB - 63 downloads)
chuckski
Posted 8/9/2022 2:54 PM (#1010600 - in reply to #1010324)

Ouch! Been there had a small northern drive a 3/0 4X thru the side of my middle finger and out the top. This was in Canada but had made friends with a retired doctor so had to wait around for him to come home, he cut the hook and pulled it out thru the top of my finger. A year or two earlier he cut a Eddie bait out of my nephews forearm.
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/9/2022 3:46 PM (#1010603 - in reply to #1010600)

When a fish is following and you need to keep the lure out there on a trajectory in a wide loop then one hand is your only option - hence the trend to longer rods. Not good for blades, but cranks and rubber the leveraged one arm move will up your chances. Hooked (and lost) a fish on crank with one-arm move like this recently. This is with a fish following that you are reading and you are ready, not something you do when you don't see it, as that would be a recipe for lost gear.

Fishing solo most of the time, I'm also in the camp of get the hooks out of the way. I tend to cut first rather than try and save trebles most of the time and get the lure out of the way completely. When fishing long hours if you are sloppy with hooks and gear in the boat you are going to make a mistake you will regret one day (e.g. hit by unexpected wake and maybe lose balance). Big fish in a net with hooks still in the net, no matter how confident you are -- is risky in my view.

Edited by Angling Oracle 8/9/2022 3:49 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)