Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Additional Battery for Electronics?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Additional Battery for Electronics?
North of 8
Posted 7/29/2022 10:22 AM (#1010264)
Subject: Additional Battery for Electronics?

Reading about boats with multiple live scopes, 3 or 4 large screens, etc., raised a question, what kind of battery set up is necessary? For example, my boat has two batteries for the Ulterra and the two 9" screens run off the dual-purpose AGM battery that is also the starting battery. For boats with a lot more electronics, is a separate, dedicated battery/batteries needed?
CincySkeez
Posted 7/29/2022 2:54 PM (#1010278 - in reply to #1010264)
Subject: Re: Additional Battery for Electronics?

Seems prudent to have one dedicated "scoping bank", granted one could rig up an acr, so that when they are driving around scoping, with the main idling, they are topping off the battery bank.

pstrombe
Posted 7/29/2022 4:22 PM (#1010281 - in reply to #1010264)

I'm running three helix units with intermittent live scope usage. haven't had any issues using a 900 cca AGM battery
North of 8
Posted 7/29/2022 4:36 PM (#1010282 - in reply to #1010281)

pstrombe - 7/29/2022 4:22 PM

I'm running three helix units with intermittent live scope usage. haven't had any issues using a 900 cca AGM battery

Thanks, that would be very similar to what I have. Looking at adding mega live next year and trying to figure out if that means more batteries as well.
kap
Posted 7/30/2022 9:05 AM (#1010292 - in reply to #1010264)

I run a 10' solix and a helix, a 9' helix. and Garmin 86110 XSV for livescope.
THe solix and XSV are bigger power draws as they are better proccessers.
I run the biggest 31 size deep cycle agm battery interstate makes.
It works, i check my battery gauge constantly and sometimes after 5 6 hours i need to make a longer run to recharge
do have adding another battery for my electronics in my mind. some guys do this run 5 batteries . it takes up stotage space and add weight
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/31/2022 6:39 AM (#1010307 - in reply to #1010264)
Subject: RE: Additional Battery for Electronics?

Running a Tiller, upgrading my electronics to major power draw units was a concern. Limited on space and not able to afford weight loss, I did migrate to a lithium starting battery. Running a Helix 12, Helix 10, stereo frequently on(metal draws more power than pop..), I have not seen the battery below 84% after 2 days of fishing. I'm using an Ionic 125 AH battery with bluetooth battery monitor. I may have an issue this fall if charging below 32 degrees, but I have a work around. Otherwise, planning to take it indoors for winter, and hopefully never buy another starting battery for this boat(fingers crossed).
OH Musky
Posted 7/31/2022 11:36 AM (#1010313 - in reply to #1010264)

I’m running one Garmin 106SV and a networked Helix 10 on the bow along with a Helix 9 SI and Helix 9 GPS on the dash. Running them, two GoPro cameras and live well timer (for the fish that need some TLC) was running my group 27M battery down quite a bit to the point I’ve two no start issues with the outboard this year. I replaced the the starting battery with a 31M AGM last week but I’m also looking to separate the bow units by adding an Amped Outdoors 32 or 48 ah lithium. It will fit nicely in one of my front compartments, is light weight and will power a livescope unit if I decide to go that route. My Garmin has bad interference from the Ultrex that I’ve only been able to cure with a separate battery. So adding a 4th, albeit smaller, battery makes sense to me.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/1/2022 2:32 AM (#1010335 - in reply to #1010313)

OH Musky - 7/31/2022 11:36 AM

I’m running one Garmin 106SV and a networked Helix 10 on the bow along with a Helix 9 SI and Helix 9 GPS on the dash. Running them, two GoPro cameras and live well timer (for the fish that need some TLC) was running my group 27M battery down quite a bit to the point I’ve two no start issues with the outboard this year. I replaced the the starting battery with a 31M AGM last week but I’m also looking to separate the bow units by adding an Amped Outdoors 32 or 48 ah lithium. It will fit nicely in one of my front compartments, is light weight and will power a livescope unit if I decide to go that route. My Garmin has bad interference from the Ultrex that I’ve only been able to cure with a separate battery. So adding a 4th, albeit smaller, battery makes sense to me.

For the price difference($20) and the fact it likely still fit in your compartment, I'd consider the 60AH Amped for the additional battery, especially if considering running two units and if running more than one day per charge. There is a nice AH/time chart for various setups/multiple unit calculator on their website.
sworrall
Posted 8/1/2022 4:20 PM (#1010341 - in reply to #1010264)

I run a Helix 10 and 7 on the bow (both Megas with 360) and the Mega Live which needs its own power lead and switch. On the console, I have a Mega 8 and a G2 Heilx 7. When crappie fishing I have the livewell running on auto all the time, so I use a Deep cycle/start for the accessories mated to the start battery for my motor with its own charger (2 batteries in the back, two in the front). I plug everything in when I park the boat. No issues. I'll eventually go all lithium in the back for sure, maybe boat-wide. All my ice stuff runs lithium now, huge difference.
OH Musky
Posted 8/1/2022 6:04 PM (#1010343 - in reply to #1010335)

Reef Hawg - 8/1/2022 3:32 AM

OH Musky - 7/31/2022 11:36 AM

For the price difference($20) and the fact it likely still fit in your compartment, I'd consider the 60AH Amped for the additional battery, especially if considering running two units and if running more than one day per charge. There is a nice AH/time chart for various setups/multiple unit calculator on their website.

I’ll need to look at the measurements to see if it will fit. One location it the very front right compartment but the opening is triangle shaped. The other location is under the dash which might not be a bad place for the livescope box if I get one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)