Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Daiwa issues

Message Subject: Daiwa issues
K and M tackle
Posted 7/26/2022 6:27 AM (#1010098)
Subject: Daiwa issues

I bought a lexa 400hd last year. Lined it and made first cast and the bearings were shot. They didn’t really seem to care which bothered me. Now I ordered a prorex rod 9.5 extra heavy. I have walleye rods that have more back bone. The end of the rod fell off on second trip and pieces of pole or something fell out also. I emailed them. They say again that they really don’t care and if I want it looked at I should pay for the shipping to and from them. Now I don’t feel I first of all should be getting things broken when I get brand new. But also why should I be paying for the return for them to look at it and than back to me? Just curious if anyone else has had issues with daiwa or if it’s just me and is this customer service normal now where I have to pay for shipping and gas and time to run around when they sell broken stuff? Thanks and tight lines
Baby Mallard
Posted 7/26/2022 8:02 AM (#1010101 - in reply to #1010098)
Subject: RE: Daiwa issues

For years, I have always had to pay for the shipping for my Daiwa reels to get serviced.  They always treated me fairly and did great work at fixing the reels.  You could also try to return the reel/rod to wherever you bought them from to see if they will exchange or give you credit.
7.62xJay
Posted 7/26/2022 8:43 AM (#1010103 - in reply to #1010098)
Subject: Re: Daiwa issues

Paying shipping to mail something is normal yes, some places with re-inburse, but not many. Also, always a good idea to save all your rod rubes for any future shipping, they are not cheap new.
sworrall
Posted 7/26/2022 9:52 AM (#1010106 - in reply to #1010098)

They actually said they don't care? I find that hard to believe.
39 degrees
Posted 7/26/2022 10:28 AM (#1010109 - in reply to #1010098)

What do you mean when you say the bearings were shot?
K and M tackle
Posted 7/26/2022 11:22 AM (#1010111 - in reply to #1010098)

Anti reverser bearings were seized upon me receiving the reel. Brand new. From their website. Had to drive it to mats reel repair in eagle river. Was told they see quite a bit of that from them. When I reached out the guy called me. I was asking about warranty on it and who was a authorized person to fix it. Was given a list of names. I asked what would cause it and if there were any issues I should worry about beyond that. He said probably not. I asked for them to send me a pre paid postage as this was BRAND NEW from the company. Not old or used. He declined. I stayed I was having second thoughts of continuing business with a company that can’t back the product. Was told well good thing we have other customers. As same with the rod. It’s brand new. Not used. I’m waiting for a contact back for a few days from a manager. I understand if I break something or if it’s older or wear and tear. But when I take something out and it’s not in working order immediately. That seems more like a them issue than a me issue. And I believe them just sending me a label so I could have them fix the things in the first place instead of just making me feel like since I’m not the only customer I don’t matter. Maybe it’s just how I see business ethics.
chuckski
Posted 7/26/2022 12:56 PM (#1010113 - in reply to #1010098)

I've never owned a Daiwa bait caster I still have a tiny ultralight spinning reel from 1980 with has caught thousands of Perch and Trout and I have my dad's Daiwa 7' 3" Bucktail rod from the late 90's for smaller lures cast like a dream and is light as a feather. (and he whipped many big Muskies on this rod).
sworrall
Posted 7/26/2022 6:24 PM (#1010127 - in reply to #1010111)

K and M tackle - 7/26/2022 11:22 AM

Anti reverser bearings were seized upon me receiving the reel. Brand new. From their website. Had to drive it to mats reel repair in eagle river. Was told they see quite a bit of that from them. When I reached out the guy called me. I was asking about warranty on it and who was a authorized person to fix it. Was given a list of names. I asked what would cause it and if there were any issues I should worry about beyond that. He said probably not. I asked for them to send me a pre paid postage as this was BRAND NEW from the company. Not old or used. He declined. I stayed I was having second thoughts of continuing business with a company that can’t back the product. Was told well good thing we have other customers. As same with the rod. It’s brand new. Not used. I’m waiting for a contact back for a few days from a manager. I understand if I break something or if it’s older or wear and tear. But when I take something out and it’s not in working order immediately. That seems more like a them issue than a me issue. And I believe them just sending me a label so I could have them fix the things in the first place instead of just making me feel like since I’m not the only customer I don’t matter. Maybe it’s just how I see business ethics.

I used to get occasional responses like this when a boat warranty issue came up and the customer had to get the rig to where the warranty would occur. No question we would fix what was wrong, the argument was over the time and cost of getting the rig to the factory or dealer for service. The warranty was clear, but the customer wants more than the warranty provided.

Here's their warranty:
REEL WARRANTY

Daiwa will repair or replace, without charge, any Daiwa reel which is defective in workmanship or materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase by the consumer (please note for all electric reels the warranty extends for a period of 1 year, or 200 hours of usage, whichever comes first). The warranty extends only to the original owner. Once the reel is received, our service technicians will inspect to identify the issue, and if it is determined to be a manufacturing defect, we will repair the reel and send it back to you at no charge. If the damage is determined to not be warranty eligible (missing parts, accidental, misuse, inadequate care, wear and tear) we will contact you with a price estimate before starting any work. Please follow these instructions when returning reels for warranty repair: Do not remove parts, enclose proof of purchase and a Repair Request Form with nature of problem. Also, please list the model name and number of reel and your return address. To protect against loss or damage in transit, your reel should be carefully packaged and adequately insured. Please retain all shipping receipts.

ROD WARRANTY

Daiwa rods are covered by a 1 year, 5 year, or limited lifetime warranty accordingly depending on the model of the rod. The warranty extends only to the original owner. Once the rod is received, our service technicians will inspect to identify the issue, and if it is determined to be a manufacturing defect, we will repair or replace the rod at no charge. In case the damage to the rod is determined to not be warranty eligible (missing parts, accidental, misuse, inadequate care, wear and tear) a replacement rod will be offered for a discounted charge. An estimate will be sent to customer showing the cost of the replacement. The customer must make payment to Daiwa before shipment of replacement rod. Please follow these instructions when returning rods or reels for warranty repair: *DO NOT CUT RODS*, enclose proof of purchase and a Repair Request Form with nature of problem. Also, please list the model name and number of rod and your return address. To protect against loss or damage in transit, your rod should be carefully packaged and adequately insured. Please retain all shipping receipts.----

This is a very common process in the fishing industry, look up Smimano's warranty. Same with Abu. They will fix or replace the product, but the customer has to get it to them.

We recommend that before purchasing, read the warranty so no unrealistic expectations exist.
Ogandrews
Posted 7/27/2022 6:59 AM (#1010148 - in reply to #1010098)

I had a similar experience dealing with them this year. I had the handle nut fall of two TWS’s in a couple weeks and gad the anti reverse break on a 400hd after 2 trips fishing rubber. The reel nuts are one thing because the reels work perfectly when I put new ones on, but that hd was pretty insane to break that quickly. After how they acted about the reel nuts I’m just going to see if a private reel guy can fix the hd. I love the diawa stuff when it works but they should learn from shimano on the whole customer service thing, and the whole reliability aspect
chuckski
Posted 7/27/2022 9:57 AM (#1010158 - in reply to #1010098)

I buy a lot of stuff and for the most part I've been treated fair. A example great service goes out to Reed's in Walker MN. I was in there fall in the late 90's and had them respool my Ambassadear 7000 and when the kid respooled he had some problem with the machine jerked backed as the kid would put "almost took my finger off" but any how got my reel spooled. A couple days later my reel was acting up so I went back into Reed's and asked the men behind the counter if they did reel repair o or knew of a reel repair? "Let's see your reel" He starts looking it over and "I've never seen on of these (7000) do this" Then he asked how it started ECT (the clerk was a manager) I said A kid put new line on it a couple days ago bugh bugh bugh and he goes "that happened" ?? And he turns and grabs a brad new reel off the shelf and goes "what kind of line do you have"? Respools the new reel and hands it to me "hopefully this one will work" Maybe the kid screwed up my reel
? The kid told the whole world what happened to him and the gentlemen perhaps puts the two stories together and was a good listener (I did not ask for a new reel or even put blame) When leaving town I stopped back in wearing my reeds hat found Jim that was his name and thanked him again they were already setting up for ice fishing season so the baits were picked over so I bought another Reeds hat and a couple books. Reed Walker MN. A++ customer service
RLSea
Posted 7/27/2022 2:30 PM (#1010177 - in reply to #1010158)

chuckski - 7/27/2022 9:57 AM

I buy a lot of stuff and for the most part I've been treated fair. A example great service goes out to Reed's in Walker MN. I was in there fall in the late 90's and had them respool my Ambassadear 7000 and when the kid respooled he had some problem with the machine jerked backed as the kid would put "almost took my finger off" but any how got my reel spooled. A couple days later my reel was acting up so I went back into Reed's and asked the men behind the counter if they did reel repair o or knew of a reel repair? "Let's see your reel" He starts looking it over and "I've never seen on of these (7000) do this" Then he asked how it started ECT (the clerk was a manager) I said A kid put new line on it a couple days ago bugh bugh bugh and he goes "that happened" ?? And he turns and grabs a brad new reel off the shelf and goes "what kind of line do you have"? Respools the new reel and hands it to me "hopefully this one will work" Maybe the kid screwed up my reel
? The kid told the whole world what happened to him and the gentlemen perhaps puts the two stories together and was a good listener (I did not ask for a new reel or even put blame) When leaving town I stopped back in wearing my reeds hat found Jim that
was his name and thanked him again they were already setting up for ice fishing
season so the baits were picked over so I bought another Reeds hat and a couple books. Reed Walker MN. A++ customer service

I know this is off the original post, but I have lots of Reeds love, too. Back when Abu came out with bait casters with changeable spools, I changed my spool to get different line and didn't latch the side plate completely. The side plate came off on the first cast and flew into the lake. I went to Reeds and talked to Jeff about buying a part. He didn't have any but took the side plate off a new reel and let me use it for the rest of the week (he would probably deny it now!). Customer forever.
colinj8899
Posted 8/2/2022 6:18 AM (#1010348 - in reply to #1010106)

sworrall - 7/26/2022 9:52 AM

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. I have had two reels go to hell with less then a few uses. Owned for less then a year. They denied warranty both times and I had to pay out of pocket. They advised it was normal wear and tear and I had to pay to get them fixed. From my experiences Daiwa has horrible customer service. But maybe if you have a name in the fishing world they treat you a little better. I have ten reels and run all Abu Garcias now and wont ever go back to Daiwa again. Clearly there's a lot of guys out there who rave about Daiwas but I personally have had a lot of issues with them and customer service from my experience is horrible. I have one on the bottom of a lake if your interested I can pass along the coordinates.
sworrall
Posted 8/2/2022 7:40 AM (#1010349 - in reply to #1010348)

colinj8899 - 8/2/2022 6:18 AM

sworrall - 7/26/2022 9:52 AM

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. I have had two reels go to hell with less then a few uses. Owned for less then a year. They denied warranty both times and I had to pay out of pocket. They advised it was normal wear and tear and I had to pay to get them fixed. From my experiences Daiwa has horrible customer service. But maybe if you have a name in the fishing world they treat you a little better. I have ten reels and run all Abu Garcias now and wont ever go back to Daiwa again. Clearly there's a lot of guys out there who rave about Daiwas but I personally have had a lot of issues with them and customer service from my experience is horrible. I have one on the bottom of a lake if your interested I can pass along the coordinates.

No, I have not had a warranty issue with them and currently do not fish a Daiwa. I found it hard to believe because that standard of customer care will kill a brand if widespread and they are very healthy. Another issue is we don't allow brand bashing of ANY kind here, so way potential overstating or exaggerating will get questioned. As far as the reel you tossed, no thanks, and no need to be rude. Overall it sounds like Daiwa may have a customer service issue, perhaps when dealing with irate customers, we'll see what we can find out.
chuckski
Posted 8/2/2022 11:24 AM (#1010358 - in reply to #1010098)

Keep in mind folks when you call for service you generally get more Bee's with honey when vinegar. It pays to be nice!
K and M tackle
Posted 8/17/2022 3:02 AM (#1010850 - in reply to #1010098)

Completely unsure of who the irate customers are or being pushed towards or if I was being accused of brand bashing or exaggerating??? But I would say I asked a question. And than had to defend my question. And now really not sure who these comments are being directed at but wish there was some idea of it. Because if my questions were offensive than say so. And if not the multiple people that took what I said off topic should have it directed towards them. As far catching more bees with honey. I spend more money than I care to admit in gear and goods. And have had issues. I have had great company’s like Livingston and slammer and musky frenzy and lakewood.they care for customer service. And have had company’s such as daiwa and chaos where they act overly aggressive for simply reaching out. So when it comes to asking a question on stuff. I guess try and keep the answers to that question. Or start a new thread. And if I am the one that has the aggressive comments above being directed at. I’d love to know as why. Or even as why my judgement or a problem I decided to ask about. Not flaunt would be questionable or called overstated or exaggerated. I asked a question. I was polite and stated what happened. So if brand bashing is not allowed I believe maybe name bashing or dishonoring should also not be allowed.
chuckski
Posted 8/17/2022 9:05 AM (#1010857 - in reply to #1010098)

We all buy a lot of stuff and sooner or later we get burnt one time or another you can chock it up as part of the price of doing business or change brands and just do what's right in each case. And if somebody ask's why product A or product B I'll give you straight. Let's face bad customer service can be bad for business whatever the brand.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/17/2022 9:41 AM (#1010861 - in reply to #1010098)

Shimano reels and st. croix or thorne bros rods. Good to go. Sorry that happened. Sounds like a bad deal for you and can be really frustrating. Been there.
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2022 11:43 AM (#1010873 - in reply to #1010850)

K and M tackle - 8/17/2022 3:02 AM

Completely unsure of who the irate customers are or being pushed towards or if I was being accused of brand bashing or exaggerating??? But I would say I asked a question. And than had to defend my question. And now really not sure who these comments are being directed at but wish there was some idea of it. Because if my questions were offensive than say so. And if not the multiple people that took what I said off topic should have it directed towards them. As far catching more bees with honey. I spend more money than I care to admit in gear and goods. And have had issues. I have had great company’s like Livingston and slammer and musky frenzy and lakewood.they care for customer service. And have had company’s such as daiwa and chaos where they act overly aggressive for simply reaching out. So when it comes to asking a question on stuff. I guess try and keep the answers to that question. Or start a new thread. And if I am the one that has the aggressive comments above being directed at. I’d love to know as why. Or even as why my judgement or a problem I decided to ask about. Not flaunt would be questionable or called overstated or exaggerated. I asked a question. I was polite and stated what happened. So if brand bashing is not allowed I believe maybe name bashing or dishonoring should also not be allowed.

Obviously directed at me. It's simple, we take great care in what we publish. If a claim is that ANY customer service dept. actually said they 'don't care' and it is clear customer expectations were not what the warranty states, it doesn't matter who that came from, we address it as required so no legal claims can be filed because of our published content, and for good reason. Nothing personal, and never is or was.

An example, there's one fellow who was....overreacting (?) to Livingston's customer service and just wouldn't stop. That content was deleted. Then.... "I have had great company’s like Livingston and slammer and musky frenzy and lakewood, they care for customer service."

Which is true? There's the rub.
North of 8
Posted 8/17/2022 1:39 PM (#1010875 - in reply to #1010873)

Yes, anyone who doesn't think there is liability or at least the potential for litigation simply is not paying attention. Former congressman Devin Nunes, now head of Truth Social, has filed something like a half dozen defamation lawsuits against various media. They have all been dismissed or are pending appeal but still costs a fortune to defend yourself. Patrick Reed, former Masters winner filed a $750 Million lawsuit this week against the Golf Channel because he says they defamed him. Doesn't seem, according to the legal eagles, that he has much of a case, but the Golf Channel will probably have to spend seven figures to defend themselves. Deep pocketed plaintiffs can cause a lot of financial harm, even if they have no real hope of winning in court.
RLSea
Posted 8/17/2022 9:59 PM (#1010881 - in reply to #1010861)

Kirby Budrow - 8/17/2022 9:41 AM

Shimano reels and st. croix or thorne bros rods. Good to go. Sorry that happened. Sounds like a bad deal for you and can be really frustrating. Been there.

Respectfully, I have had the level wind fail on 3 different occasions on 2 Tranx 400's. I take care of my equipment and have other brands that have not had any failures in side by side use. I really like Shimano reels and for the most part they work very well. My point in all of this is any mechanical tool can fail. Maybe mine were assembled on a Friday before a holiday weekend.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/18/2022 9:08 AM (#1010885 - in reply to #1010881)

RLSea - 8/17/2022 9:59 PM

Kirby Budrow - 8/17/2022 9:41 AM

Respectfully, I have had the level wind fail on 3 different occasions on 2 Tranx 400's. I take care of my equipment and have other brands that have not had any failures in side by side use. I really like Shimano reels and for the most part they work very well. My point in all of this is any mechanical tool can fail. Maybe mine were assembled on a Friday before a holiday weekend. :)

Yeah, I've had two do that as well but it's an easy fix and it was only an issue for a while. I believe they corrected it. The 400s are nice but really the 500 cannot be beat by any other reel. As with any reel, they all require maintenance at least yearly.
chuckski
Posted 8/19/2022 10:53 AM (#1010915 - in reply to #1010098)

If you are fishing the lures from a generation ago where a 9" Suick or Bobbie was considered big the regular sized reels really shine but if your fishing the big stuff the Tranx 500 is the way to go. And after fishing regular sized stuff they will feel heavy but I'm used to that in the middle 90's I fished with a Abu/Garcia 7000. I do have Tranx 400 but it has not been on a real fishing trip yet hope it holds up, if not I have other rigs and old back up reels along.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)