Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> pike-musky figure 8's?

Message Subject: pike-musky figure 8's?
NPike
Posted 7/24/2022 5:28 PM (#1010054)
Subject: pike-musky figure 8's?

after nearly 50 years of fishing for pike and musky I just started this year to try my luck at figure 8's. I caught quite a few some were follows , some came up form the other way under the boat to hit the bait. The trouble is I've lost all the bigger fish that hit while figure 8'ing. I was told that when a good one hits while top side or figure 8'ing that don't immediately pull back and set the hook but to let the fish fight the rod even putting the rod end into the water a bit to try and force the fish to run or dive down then set the hook. The reason is that when y pull back to set the hook when the fish is only inches under the water doesn't provide good hook sets since the angle is bad for good hook set. so let em fight the pole until they make a move out or down. So far I lost 2 mid forties doing figure 8's, thy came up shook their heads and were gone.

Your input and thoughts are much appreciated.
chuckski
Posted 7/25/2022 8:56 AM (#1010075 - in reply to #1010054)
Subject: Re: pike-musky figure 8's?

Every cast I made I'm in the mode there's a fish behind my lure, I do things to make them strike away from the boat, but if they don't I do a figure eight every time and push my thumb bar and put my thumb on the spool. My rod is out in front of me and I pull it straight down so my lure is changing direction (going deeper) then go into my L turn always to my right and if the fish hits on the L I strike back across my body. And if hits when I'm going to my left I hit it to my right and start walking to my right and the head shakes will bury the hooks. And I keep my eights deep as possible (I've caught fish with my rod tip scrapping in the gravel).
Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/25/2022 1:02 PM (#1010083 - in reply to #1010054)

Most of my fishing is from shore so I really don’t get them on figure 8s. From what I’ve learned about these fish is as quick as they are to grab it they are quick to release it once they know it’s not food. I would think if you can see the strike then pull the opposite way as quickly and a very strong pull back. Also I like my drag set tight for a stronger hookset.
phselect
Posted 7/25/2022 2:39 PM (#1010085 - in reply to #1010054)
Subject: RE: pike-musky figure 8's?

When a fish hits in the 8, I usually try to set the hook back towards the fish. The idea is that this will hopefully slide the hooks towards the corner of the fish's mouth where it will bury a bit deeper rather than try to hook the bony top jaw. Once she's pinned - yeah - best to keen the rod tip down if the fish wants to thrash on the surface or try to go airborne. Rule of thumb - fish dives down - keep the rod tip up; fish comes up, keep the tip down. Do your best to keep tension regardless. Easier said than done. Good luck.
NPike
Posted 7/25/2022 5:46 PM (#1010090 - in reply to #1010085)
Subject: RE: pike-musky figure 8's?

thank you all, I like the tips and will incorporate. One thing I hate is y fish all aware for hours then I get inattentive and bam a crazy big one wll hit. Thanks Putting the rod tip down while moving against the direction of the fish (set hook towards fishes tail).
chuckski
Posted 7/26/2022 10:09 AM (#1010107 - in reply to #1010054)

One figure eight I regret . I was fishing up on the Winnipeg River with my dad and dad made a cast up to a brush pile (I forget what he was throwing) and I made a cast by mistake a few feet away from his with a Raddawg spinnerbait. It was late June and a late spring. Dad a had a follow from a 36 incher or so and then "The Daughter Of Kong" shows up behind my lure see's us and nonchalantly turns and goes back where she came from, I should of just flipped a cast in front of her but I went into my figure eight and to my surprise she turns and agressively tries to get my lure she was way too big to make the turn hits her body on my spinnerbait ( I consciously did not set the hook) but leaves a giant scale on my lure! There's no way to land a snagged fish that big and I did not want to scare her off the spot. The weather got hot and the water warmed and I think she moved off the spot. For the next week I hit every boulder, weed stalk with in a half mile and never saw her again. #*#* I think I would have joined my dad in the 40# club with that one! You don't get many chances on fish like that.
pstrombe
Posted 7/26/2022 11:21 AM (#1010110 - in reply to #1010054)

Wimpy tight figure 8's don't cut it. I have a friend I fish with often. Two years ago on a dark water lake (wabigoon) he had a decent fish come in hot and he couldn't close the deal with a tight - shallow 8. I had just finished my cast and put my blade back in the water and did a nice big 8 hanging the corners and going deep on the second leg.. Musky left him and immediately smashed my bait. he still talks about it on every trip. He missed another hot fish two weeks ago when he got excited. IMO one of the most significant changes in presentation is the evolution of the figure 8. That begs the question who did the most to improve and promote figure 8's Was it Joe Bucher??
chuckski
Posted 7/26/2022 12:42 PM (#1010112 - in reply to #1010054)

In the story above I never got into the eight (attacked on my L turn) A lot of times if they veer off they go and set up away from the boat and if you keep your eight going they will come back. but never turn and charge and veering off. Muskie fishing all kinds of weird stuff!
oconesox
Posted 7/26/2022 1:57 PM (#1010116 - in reply to #1010110)

I’m not so sure any person is as responsible as the equipment we now use. With the onset of big lures, especially the cowgirl, rods got heavier and longer. That in my opinion has led to most peoples improvement of boat side maneuvers and then keeping fish pinned once they eat at boat side. Just my 2 cents.

Andy

pstrombe - 7/26/2022 11:21 AM

Wimpy tight figure 8's don't cut it. I have a friend I fish with often. Two years ago on a dark water lake (wabigoon) he had a decent fish come in hot and he couldn't close the deal with a tight - shallow 8. I had just finished my cast and put my blade back in the water and did a nice big 8 hanging the corners and going deep on the second leg.. Musky left him and immediately smashed my bait. he still talks about it on every trip. He missed another hot fish two weeks ago when he got excited. IMO one of the most significant changes in presentation is the evolution of the figure 8. That begs the question who did the most to improve and promote figure 8's Was it Joe Bucher??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)