Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What should the PMTT do about Snipping

Message Subject: What should the PMTT do about Snipping
chuckski
Posted 7/26/2022 6:49 PM (#1010133 - in reply to #1008647)
Subject: Re: What should the PMTT do about Snipping

John sorry to hear about your motor, surprising with so many of Wisconsin River chains and Flowages with time losing a lot of the wood from time period of say the 1970's when I was a teenager to now. When I was a teenager my grandpa had a spot he fished not on any maps, but a resort owner pulled a bunch of stumps on the ice with a tractor back in the 30's or 40's and my grandpa would catch Big Crappies (and one time a 10 pound Walleye ) also another resort owner got 31 pound Tiger off the spot I thick it was his bother in law of the guy who put the stumps in. I think all the old timers who fished it are all dead. I know the general area if I ever get back there in the warm water months it would be fun to go down with a mask and fins. Or if I had a live scope.
North of 8
Posted 7/26/2022 7:02 PM (#1010136 - in reply to #1010133)

chuckski - 7/26/2022 6:49 PM

John sorry to hear about your motor, surprising with so many of Wisconsin River chains and Flowages with time losing a lot of the wood from time period of say the 1970's when I was a teenager to now. When I was a teenager my grandpa had a spot he fished not on any maps, but a resort owner pulled a bunch of stumps on the ice with a tractor back in the 30's or 40's and my grandpa would catch Big Crappies (and one time a 10 pound Walleye ) also another resort owner got 31 pound Tiger off the spot I thick it was his bother in law of the guy who put the stumps in. I think all the old timers who fished it are all dead. I know the general area if I ever get back there in the warm water months it would be fun to go down with a mask and fins. Or if I had a live scope.

We had bad wind storms in December and then snow/ice in late winter that took down a lot of trees and unfortunately, some ended up in the lake. When I rowed my jon boat over to see if I could find what I hit, the owner of the shore line nearby was in the lake raking up rocks, etc. in anticipation of young visitors. He walked towards me and when I told him what happened, he pointed to a large, pretty much dead white pine that had come down in December. (guy lost over 50 mature trees in that storm). The base of the tree is there but he said he had walked out to see where the top was and could not find it. Could have been that, who knows. I spent an hour rowing back and forth, poking around, looking but did not find anything other than sand/gravel 3 to 4 feet down. A few years ago a log was lodged near the same spot and took out some props. Couple volunteers from the lake association found it, put a chain on it and a winch on shore got it pulled out.
Being on a flowage, logs happen. I was only going 5 mph and probably if I had an aluminum prop instead of stainless, damage would have been limited to the prop.
sworrall
Posted 7/30/2022 4:55 PM (#1010306 - in reply to #1010136)

North of 8 - 7/26/2022 7:02 PM

chuckski - 7/26/2022 6:49 PM

We had bad wind storms in December and then snow/ice in late winter that took down a lot of trees and unfortunately, some ended up in the lake. When I rowed my jon boat over to see if I could find what I hit, the owner of the shore line nearby was in the lake raking up rocks, etc. in anticipation of young visitors. He walked towards me and when I told him what happened, he pointed to a large, pretty much dead white pine that had come down in December. (guy lost over 50 mature trees in that storm). The base of the tree is there but he said he had walked out to see where the top was and could not find it. Could have been that, who knows. I spent an hour rowing back and forth, poking around, looking but did not find anything other than sand/gravel 3 to 4 feet down. A few years ago a log was lodged near the same spot and took out some props. Couple volunteers from the lake association found it, put a chain on it and a winch on shore got it pulled out.
Being on a flowage, logs happen. I was only going 5 mph and probably if I had an aluminum prop instead of stainless, damage would have been limited to the prop.

They pulled a couple very large logs out of the water at the landing last night.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)