Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best Lightweight Net

Message Subject: Best Lightweight Net
bcrecka
Posted 7/7/2022 8:15 PM (#1008569)
Subject: Best Lightweight Net

Looking for the best lightweight musky net options. One that doesn’t have so much drag in the water reaching and scooping a fish. Appreciate recommendations!
Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/8/2022 11:27 AM (#1008589 - in reply to #1008569)
Subject: Re: Best Lightweight Net

Don’t know if there is such a thing but might be a better net out there as I’ve learned that it’s not so much the net it’s the person netting the fish. Some people scoop deep which that scares more fish and the water weight slows them down which usually they miss the fish. I always skim the water and always go for the head first. Less net in the water the better the net job.
BillM
Posted 7/8/2022 12:03 PM (#1008591 - in reply to #1008569)

I re-bagged a old aluminum salmon net with a Frabill bag. Super light and super deep. Easy one handed solution.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/8/2022 12:56 PM (#1008593 - in reply to #1008569)

The smaller clam colossus (musky net) seems to the ticket for that. I would prefer a deeper bag than it has for when the fish is in the net boatside, but the way it is configured with a relatively shallow bag is great for solo dipping with less drag in the water and preventing catching stuff when lifting off the boat to dip. It is 6 lbs while the bigger version is 7.
mikie
Posted 7/8/2022 1:20 PM (#1008595 - in reply to #1008569)

I, too, took a Cummins aluminum frame and added a Frabil Power Catch bag to it. It's light enough to allow me to handle it and the fish too (well, usually). The Power Catch frame was just too heavy for one handed work. Not sure what species of Cummins net it is (striper?) but it has a big wide mouth to it. m
TCESOX
Posted 7/8/2022 4:59 PM (#1008604 - in reply to #1008569)

I mostly fish solo, and wasn't finding what I wanted in a net. Found a Cabela's branded net in their Bargain Cave. It was actually made by Frabil. No model number or anything. I think it may have been intended for salmon or stripers. Bag was absolute crap, but I put a Beckman Fin Saver bag on it, and it is perfect for solo use.
ToddM
Posted 7/8/2022 7:21 PM (#1008607 - in reply to #1008569)

I like my frabil big game net. It does have a heavy mesh bag. The only time I've ever had an issue netting solo was in heavy current. The issue with a light thin net bag is the cocoon the musky will Gator roll into with it's head out of the water. Now you have to try and cut hooks and not cut up the net in the process in a timely manner. The fish's head spends way too much time out of the water.
Rudedog
Posted 7/11/2022 5:47 AM (#1008649 - in reply to #1008569)
Subject: RE: Best Lightweight Net

I fish alone 95% of the time. Need to have easy netting one handed.
The best I have found is the Frabill Conservation FRAME, with a Drifter XL replacement bag. The bag that comes on the Conservation is NOT good.
The Frabill frame is super light- The Drifter bag is a good compromise.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)