Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> PMTT winning pattern

Message Subject: PMTT winning pattern
chuckski
Posted 7/1/2022 2:52 PM (#1008367 - in reply to #1007256)
Subject: Re: PMTT winning pattern

My dad was an electrical engineer in the space/defense industry and he would laugh was butt off every time there was a war and we would blow up inferior Russian crap!
chuckski
Posted 7/1/2022 3:44 PM (#1008368 - in reply to #1007256)

Thousands of dollars in Electronics?
No printed musky Hunter?
No Ernie's or Bobbie bait's?
The looks I get when I try to rent a boat with oars?
Just call me Dinosaurski Chuck!
OH Musky
Posted 7/1/2022 7:46 PM (#1008376 - in reply to #1008368)

I and my partner fished the Eagle River tournament and I posted above on what I "knew" about the controversial electronics subject. I did not whine or espouse a dislike for the winning pattern. We were very surprised about the outcome as normally a one or two fish deficit after the first day is not insurmountable. But after seeing the top score after day one, we discussed whether to continue. I'm 62, my partner mid-40's, and we said "let's go". One tourney does not make a season. While we hit every pattern that should work at ER, we ended with a huge walleye and a couple medium pike. It is the championship we are looking toward because it gets us on the lakes we've never fished before. Not to mention it gets us away from work one more time. I've been contemplating spending $$$$ on a livescope, and if this last weekend doesn't convince me, nothing will. I "see" musky on my SI all the time on my home waters but I can't imagine being able to do what those guys did in one day. My best week is 12 on, 8 in the net. To be honest, I can't say that I don't feel that that the electronics on their boat gave them an advantage but I can't say it was unfair. Would you take a stock Mustang, Chevy or Toyota to a NASCAR or NHRA race and expect to win? The hardest part is swallowing the cost for entry fees we seeing squandered, fuel and lodging. We'll finish out the season (hopefully in WI in Sept) and go from there.

chuckski - 7/1/2022 4:44 PM

Thousands of dollars in Electronics?
No printed musky Hunter?
No Ernie's or Bobbie bait's?
The looks I get when I try to rent a boat with oars?
Just call me Dinosaurski Chuck!

The MH change was a shock. i know both Gregg and Tony personally as do many of us, and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Costs have gone up across the board. I hope they are able to get back to a paper standard as I have an extreme dislike (hate is a bit strong) for reading magazines on my phone. As my membership extends out a couple years, I don't have a choice at this point. I wish them the best of luck in this turbulent commercial environment.
mm3
Posted 7/1/2022 11:09 PM (#1008385 - in reply to #1007256)
Subject: RE: PMTT winning pattern

Who's catching the fish, the electronics or the fisherman? Why don't we lower our kids' basketball hoops to 8ft and go out in the driveway and start dunking? Is it really more fun though? That's part of the adventure or mystique about musky fishing, how hard it is to hunt them, not find them on closed circuit tv and scoop them up in the net.

I often wonder if some technology is a good thing. When I was a kid, in the summer, I was in the house for 8 1/2 hours a day - 8 hours sleeping and 10 mins woofing down each meal to get right back out. Now, everyone's in front of a computer screen all day.

I'm sorry, but if they found those fish on live view - I don't think they won that tournament. Can't use a graphing calculator on a Calculus test. What's next, put a chip or tag on them and go directly to them using a beacon? Probably depth/contour, GPS, and some form of bait indication, is as far as they should allow in a tournament. I think the live view thing has gone too far for catching (fine for knowledge and learning).

Edited by mm3 7/1/2022 11:18 PM
North of 8
Posted 7/2/2022 6:27 AM (#1008386 - in reply to #1008385)

Finding fish is one thing, getting them to eat is another. One of the best examples I experienced was about 10 years ago. I was getting my boat read to go fishing at my then cottage and saw a guy 2 docks down casting over and over with a purpose. After a bit he called over, said there had been a musky off their dock but couldn't get it to hit. He said it was headed my way. I picked up a rod with a brass bladed bucktail on it and sure enough, an upper 30s musky appeared about 20 feet away, just below the surface. I cast well past, brought it in front of its face. Over and over again, varying speeds and distance from the fish. Virtually no reaction. Finally, it slowly moved to the side and down out of sight. I picked up a rod with a top raider and cast that. On about the 4th or 5th cast it followed and started to look interested, but just as I started the figure 8 from the dock, it veered away never to be seen again. Two of us saw it, cast different lures, different presentations, nada.
K and M tackle
Posted 7/2/2022 11:46 AM (#1008395 - in reply to #1007256)

It’s not against the rules. Would it be nice if we all had a lever playing field. Yes. But you are also fishing the professional musky tournament trail. Not like you can bring your old dirt track car to nascar and expect them to limit down for you. Unfortunately until they put a cap on it it’s how it is. And will they? Yes. And like everything else in this world we all will pay the price for a unsportsmanlike greedy act. Some guy at works cuts his finger and what happens to the rest of us? Everyone is punished and new ways to prevent it are in place. There will always be people pushing the edge when that kinda money is on the line. One of the reasons I got out of bass tournaments is the competitive attitude of people. It’s fishing. It’s fun. Until it’s for 20k. And you spent a thousand in gas and lodging and entry fee. Than it’s cutthroat. If you want to have fun and fish a tournament fish stuff like the Charlie baker. The Worral memorial. The greater Wisconsin musky tournament. Fish and have fun. But just wait to see how this effects things next year. It’s a trickle effect. And now we all shall pay for it.
kap
Posted 7/3/2022 9:48 AM (#1008409 - in reply to #1007256)

They crushed the field. I like the fact that 5 of their 10 were over 40. Next best team only had 2 over 40.
People throw rocks at that rocks at the ones who out do them. Instead of dong that we should try and learn from them.
That it is what Turg's question was all about. How did they do it. Livescope is a tool being used in tournaments of all species.
Do you have to have it to catch fish, no but it can help. We will see electronocs continuing to evolve. Before long the image will be a live HD quality movie picture. There is allready some amazing footage being filmed. Its just amatter of getting it cost efffective so they can sell the equipment to the custermers. It's coming.
OH Muskyman
Posted 7/3/2022 11:32 AM (#1008411 - in reply to #1007256)

Congratulations to the winning team! Sounds like they did so well, others feel then to complain about them. When its legal and others are upset, usually means you had a good day on the water. Livescope, 360 and many other electronics are tools as I see them, helpful but you still have to get the fish to eat. Everyone musky fishing knows that in itself is not usually easy. I would be willing to bet every boat fishing the PMTT has some form of fish finder and used them. What is the difference?

Yes I have livescope, have I caught fish because of it yes. But more than anything it is a tool that has helped me learn how to be a better fisherman.
mm3
Posted 7/3/2022 12:50 PM (#1008412 - in reply to #1008411)

Why do we need a livescope for fishing for muskies?
OH Muskyman
Posted 7/3/2022 1:53 PM (#1008414 - in reply to #1008412)

mm3 - 7/3/2022 12:50 PM

Why do we need a livescope for fishing for muskies?

Same reason you would need any of the other electronics on your boat. Most of us probably didn’t really need the last 10 musky lures we bought but, we got them on the hopes they would help us catch more musky. I don’t really “need” a musky net but I have one, and it sure helps.

I have learned a lot with my livescope, how my lures run, sink rate, what type of twitch, rip ect gets a reaction from them and what don’t. One of the best things I have learn with livescope to date is, I need to slow down more often with my retrieve on a lot of baits and I fish too shallow more than I should.

Edited by OH Muskyman 7/3/2022 2:00 PM
bturg
Posted 7/3/2022 11:50 PM (#1008426 - in reply to #1007256)
Subject: RE: PMTT winning pattern

It's interesting to see the upheaval this subject is having on the Tourney scene and indirectly/also in general fishing discussion.

I had no idea there was any controversy brewing when I asked the question BUT was pretty sure that was how they won after seeing the results. Like any new tech somebody is going to really dominate an event before the world takes notice...and now that has happened. I think the impact potential for Musky Tourney fishing has just been shown. I also think that if allowed to continue on a tourney level it will eventually have less impact as more adopt it and results diminish as a result. Bass and walleye guys on the large tourney scene have already dealt with the issue of it's use but still some events really favor it's use and in some others an old timer using old tech flipping bushes(bass) or trolling know locations(walleye) wins without it.

The blowout at the PMTT was inevitable as only something truly new and really effective (not just the use it of but also maxing it out with many screens etc) like this technique could create enough advantage to widen the gap from that much. The angler's also played a key role by accurately interpreting what they were seeing and executing on catching part. Whatever happens going forward they will have had a pivotal role with the verdict either way by simply executing on the whole process rather well in the event....if they had won by ten points no one notices.

I don't have a horse in the race on how PMTT and others deal with the issue as I am just an observer... but I do think it will be interesting to see how it plays out and if they become the first significant player in any freshwater species (bass, walleye, crappie etc) tourney trail to regulate it's use on some level.

Edited by bturg 7/3/2022 11:58 PM
colinj8899
Posted 7/4/2022 6:35 AM (#1008427 - in reply to #1007256)

All these posts on this site with very few comments and people wanting to talk lakes, lures and muskie fishing. This post alone generated almost nothing until livescope was brought up. Time for yall to turn in your LakeMaster cards, to much pressure on off shore structure. Spot Lock, your fancy foot pedal trolling motor, follow the contour, side imaging, 360, SmartStrike, GPS. OMG GPS has changed fishing so much. Spent a lot of time on big lakes in the middle of the night that I pry would never go out on after dark. Have to drive past a lot of structure every trip because everyone knows where all the structure is now and every cut and turn on that structure. I know im not changing nothing and now im just as bad for promoting the controversy I get so sick of reading about. Anyways, Ill be out on the water not worried about the guy running live scope on the other side of the bay.
mm3
Posted 7/4/2022 10:48 AM (#1008437 - in reply to #1008427)

My replies are strictly related to the livescope and regulation of technology for catching fish. At what point does this cross the line as an unfair advantage for the fisherman and having adverse effects on the fishery. Does everyone need more fish? Isn't it fun enough as it is?

There are regulations for lines in the water, unattended fishing, trolling and use of live bait. Will electronics be regulated? Can you send out a drone and have it map the lake while you're eating dinner? The electronics manufacturers are certainly not gonna stop.

At some point you'll be able to cruise the lake at full speed and have a pop up with a fish location that just crossed your pre-defined limit. A guy on a pontoon boat will know where the musky is just like the guide who spent 40 years learning its environment and habits. Where could the muskies hide anymore? Is that what people want - a muskie that can't hide?

What's the effects of this on the fish? Why does everything have to be more, more, more?
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/4/2022 11:41 AM (#1008441 - in reply to #1008437)

mm3 - 7/4/2022 10:48 AM

My replies are strictly related to the livescope and regulation of technology for catching fish. At what point does this cross the line as an unfair advantage for the fisherman and having adverse effects on the fishery. Does everyone need more fish? Isn't it fun enough as it is?

There are regulations for lines in the water, unattended fishing, trolling and use of live bait. Will electronics be regulated? Can you send out a drone and have it map the lake while you're eating dinner? The electronics manufacturers are certainly not gonna stop.

At some point you'll be able to cruise the lake at full speed and have a pop up with a fish location that just crossed your pre-defined limit. A guy on a pontoon boat will know where the musky is just like the guide who spent 40 years learning its environment and habits. Where could the muskies hide anymore? Is that what people want - a muskie that can't hide?

What's the effects of this on the fish? Why does everything have to be more, more, more?

Great post.

What do we want? We know as individuals we want to catch more and most of us know we only have so many outings left in our lifetime - we might justify in our minds that some advantages in finding them is very welcome.

However, if we understand musky biology (particularly big naturally reproducing Ontario muskies) that the shallow part of their daily routine is not necessary where they are feeding, and that the open and sometimes deeper water scene is where they are more vulnerable, then we know that this new technology is leading to a negative outcome. There are not a lot of muskies. The pelagic muskies and the reef/point/rock/current muskies are the same fish. A minority of well-equipped individuals likely could really put a dent in the catch rate for everyone, not to mention whatever mortality or growth and reproduction effects it could have. Who knows what many well equipped and well informed individuals will do. The downward slide is just starting, but it will be a continued decline unless some consensus of what is best for the whole community is arrived at. Don't fool yourself that "the managers" will fix the issue. It needs to be addressed now at the stakeholder level. What do we want musky fishing to be?

One of my memorable fishing trips was to the Margaree on Cape Breton Island for Atlantic salmon. Public access on private land, maps of the named pools and runs, how to get there, signs. No keep, barbless flies only. The coolest part was the etiquette on fishing pools, with little benches to sit and wait a turn if someone fishing. Regular folks decided this is the way it is going to be, and so it came to be. Musky fishing can be the same. It might not be barring the technology, but it may come down to some other limitations to preserve some equity in availability or hooking effectiveness (ie like lake trout). The technology is only going to get better, and it will get a lot better, they are just dribbling it out to us now. If this is not your line where you think things need to change, then where is it?

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/4/2022 11:43 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 7/4/2022 12:24 PM (#1008442 - in reply to #1008441)

Let's not all get our panties in a wad here. Keep in mind that it wasn't so long ago that muskies were shot or bonked over the head and wound up on the table. No, the fishing wasn't great as a result but they fish have continued to thrive. By and large, muskies are still a fish that relatively few anglers fish for and even fewer are successful at catching. In the hands of the right angler livescope and such will lead to more fish being caught. But how many of those guys are actually out there?

A huge part of muskie fishing is finding the fish. I'd say that anybody who has taken the time to learn baitfish movements, seasonal migration and the effects of water temperature along with fishing for them long enough to know where they position themselves in any given area already knows where they are. While you're out there staring at your screens they're out there putting a pattern together. And you still have to get them to eat, which a lot of guys aren't the best at...

My advice is to go fish how and where and with whatever makes you happy and don't worry about what the other guys are doing. If it bothers you that much, go fish where they aren't. Or go fish where nobody is. One of my best days on the water was one where I only saw two fish and only caught the smaller one, that was only 38". The number of boats I saw that day other than our own was 2 less than the number of fish we saw. We literally had the lake to ourselves. That's a great day right there.
sworrall
Posted 7/4/2022 12:32 PM (#1008445 - in reply to #1008441)

Angling Oracle - 7/4/2022 11:41 AM

Great post.

What do we want? We know as individuals we want to catch more and most of us know we only have so many outings left in our lifetime - we might justify in our minds that some advantages in finding them is very welcome.

However, if we understand musky biology (particularly big naturally reproducing Ontario muskies) that the shallow part of their daily routine is not necessary where they are feeding, and that the open and sometimes deeper water scene is where they are more vulnerable, then we know that this new technology is leading to a negative outcome. There are not a lot of muskies. The pelagic muskies and the reef/point/rock/current muskies are the same fish. A minority of well-equipped individuals likely could really put a dent in the catch rate for everyone, not to mention whatever mortality or growth and reproduction effects it could have. Who knows what many well equipped and well informed individuals will do. The downward slide is just starting, but it will be a continued decline unless some consensus of what is best for the whole community is arrived at. Don't fool yourself that "the managers" will fix the issue. It needs to be addressed now at the stakeholder level. What do we want musky fishing to be?

One of my memorable fishing trips was to the Margaree on Cape Breton Island for Atlantic salmon. Public access on private land, maps of the named pools and runs, how to get there, signs. No keep, barbless flies only. The coolest part was the etiquette on fishing pools, with little benches to sit and wait a turn if someone fishing. Regular folks decided this is the way it is going to be, and so it came to be. Musky fishing can be the same. It might not be barring the technology, but it may come down to some other limitations to preserve some equity in availability or hooking effectiveness (ie like lake trout). The technology is only going to get better, and it will get a lot better, they are just dribbling it out to us now. If this is not your line where you think things need to change, then where is it?

When I started muskie fishing, catch and keep was the deal and I killed a LOT of muskies. There were more fish killed back then on a June weekend on Peilcan Lake WI than there is now in a year. The boats are faster, engines run cleaner, tow vehicles run cleaner and more efficiently, reels last longer, nets are bigger and way easier on the fish, and CPR is now to the point where a lot of us won't even bump a fish anymore. We already (thanks to Muskies Inc) have made it nearly unheard of a muskie is kept. I think we'll be OK.
North of 8
Posted 7/4/2022 12:54 PM (#1008446 - in reply to #1008445)

sworrall - 7/4/2022 12:32 PM

Angling Oracle - 7/4/2022 11:41 AM

Great post.

When I started muskie fishing, catch and keep was the deal and I killed a LOT of muskies. There were more fish killed back then on a June weekend on Peilcan Lake WI than there is now in a year. The boats are faster, engines run cleaner, tow vehicles run cleaner and more efficiently, reels last longer, nets are bigger and way easier on the fish, and CPR is now to the point where a lot of us won't even bump a fish anymore. We already (thanks to Muskies Inc) have made it nearly unheard of a muskie is kept. I think we'll be OK.

Yep, when I started in the 70s', earnest discussions of best way to kill them. Some of the older guys were still moaning about not being able to use a pistol anymore.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/4/2022 3:53 PM (#1008455 - in reply to #1008445)

sworrall - 7/4/2022 12:32 PM

"When I started muskie fishing, catch and keep was the deal and I killed a LOT of muskies. There were more fish killed back then on a June weekend on Peilcan Lake WI than there is now in a year. The boats are faster, engines run cleaner, tow vehicles run cleaner and more efficiently, reels last longer, nets are bigger and way easier on the fish, and CPR is now to the point where a lot of us won't even bump a fish anymore. We already (thanks to Muskies Inc) have made it nearly unheard of a muskie is kept. I think we'll be OK."

You made my point. Some folks figured out and decided that bonking fish and short limits was a bad idea. Likewise they found they bonked so many and so much pressure that they needed to start stocking and stock new lakes to level out the pressure.

Up here so many big fish bonked that they closed fisheries down, reduced limits to zero and upped size limits. Most of the decisions were made too slowly and still recovering in some places - with mother nature also having some negative impacts.

I'm basically mostly concerned with our natural reproducing populations that from our perspective (concerned local muskie types) already get too much pressure (in non-Covid times) in discussions with lodge owners and well respected local guides. This pastime is growing fast here as much as down there and most folks are very well equipped and getting more so year by year. The open water pattern is known, but just left unexploited other than by the odd walleye pelagic trollers. That is changing.

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/4/2022 4:20 PM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/4/2022 8:09 PM (#1008458 - in reply to #1008455)

I'm getting me one of those freshwater dolphins to go fetch me a musky. They use echolocation, which is basically livescope
sworrall
Posted 7/4/2022 9:30 PM (#1008470 - in reply to #1007256)

'You made my point. Some folks figured out and decided that bonking fish and short limits was a bad idea. Likewise they found they bonked so many and so much pressure that they needed to start stocking and stock new lakes to level out the pressure. '

Muskies Inc was the driving force here and most of our waters offered no native muskie population. A very large number of the muskie producers in the US are put and take and basically always have been. We still have lakes here with very low size limits due to the fact they are designed to be action put and take to a degree. All of that aside, I think we'll be OK.

It was inevitable the fisheries folks in Canada would move to a limit basically prohibiting harvest to adjust to the pressure and harvest up there.
BNelson
Posted 7/5/2022 10:55 AM (#1008484 - in reply to #1007256)

I agree with JDSplasher and others who actually like the challenge of 'the hunt'. Is driving around with Livescope even fishing? I'd say no. it is not. to me it is like driving around at night with a spotlight and then shooting a deer, or that is the closest analogy I could come up with. Yes, they still have to bite, I get it. but it is not what musky fishing is all about .. I mean really where is the challenge or skill in that? I won't necesarily knock guys for doing it, but are there catches less impressive? I'd say they are... I guess we know how the MN state record was caught last fall....
also, I think those who think that technology won't hurt fisheries are dead wrong. limits will have to be altered and imo more muskies will have to be stocked. Muskies use to be able to 'hide' somewhat in open water, that is no more. Delayed mortality is obviously a real thing well if more and more fish are getting caught by the use of that crap more will die, it's simple math... Now guys can and DO sit on top of 50 inchers 20 feet down jigging them until they bite, yes that is how some are getting caught. Big picture I honestly wish that technology was never invented. It will change the sport and not for the good. Period.

Edited by BNelson 7/5/2022 11:05 AM
IAJustin
Posted 7/5/2022 11:46 AM (#1008486 - in reply to #1008484)

I agree Brad, my 10 year old units give me what I'm looking for- GPS and depth under the boat...from there I'd rather put the pieces of the puzzle together myself. But times change, I know Brad you wouldn't fish without your GPS on big water...and I'm sure there were "middle-aged" fisherman complaining about that too when it came out. ... I say enjoy the outdoors the way YOU (any of us) want to...I don't want or need state of the art electronics to go muskie fishing, that's just me though.

Edited by IAJustin 7/5/2022 11:48 AM
BNelson
Posted 7/5/2022 11:57 AM (#1008488 - in reply to #1008486)

Gps is more about safety on big water. I caught just as many fish or more per season when I didnt have gps.

Edited by BNelson 7/5/2022 11:58 AM
Ronix
Posted 7/5/2022 12:01 PM (#1008489 - in reply to #1008484)

BNelson - 7/5/2022 11:55 AM

I agree with JDSplasher and others who actually like the challenge of 'the hunt'. Is driving around with Livescope even fishing? I'd say no. it is not. to me it is like driving around at night with a spotlight and then shooting a deer, or that is the closest analogy I could come up with. Yes, they still have to bite, I get it. but it is not what musky fishing is all about .. I mean really where is the challenge or skill in that? I won't necesarily knock guys for doing it, but are there catches less impressive? I'd say they are... I guess we know how the MN state record was caught last fall....

This is besides the topic but yeah, I was thinking the same thing about that fish...very impressive fish but I now find myself underwhelmed (to put it politely) by the catch
North of 8
Posted 7/5/2022 12:30 PM (#1008494 - in reply to #1007256)

I don't have Mega Live or anything like that but after upgrading to an Ulterra last year, I know I will never have another unit without a spot lock function. In particular, I fish by myself most of the time and it is really nice to have the boat stay put. First fish I caught by myself, had a strong wind pushing me towards shore. No problem, soon as fish was in the net, hit spot lock and could focus on a nice clean release of fish, not whether I was going to get pushed up on some boulders. Having started out fishing in the 60s on boats with oars, I really appreciate the convenience and safety of today's boats/electronics.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/5/2022 12:40 PM (#1008496 - in reply to #1007256)

I've kept out of the discussion for the most part but I'll state my opinion. Livescope is cool. I bought one this winter. I have yet to sharp shoot a musky with it, and I have tried. Seeing the fish in their environment is very eye opening. The method of sharp shooting is boring though. I'm debating selling it already, although watching walleyes swim around down there has me loading up the jigging rap box in the boat.

Keep it out of tournaments. Just one screen isn't that big of a deal but 6 is out of control.

Also, I don't think anyone has pointed out the fact that the guy who won this tournament is the same guy who caught the Minnesota state record last fall. Remember that fish somehow just died in extremely cold water. Anyone who thinks "it doesn't make a difference and you can't make the fish bite" is blind.

Edit - BNelson point it out!

Edited by Kirby Budrow 7/5/2022 12:42 PM
JHC
Posted 7/5/2022 2:44 PM (#1008499 - in reply to #1007256)

At some point isn’t this the exact same things as hunting with drones?
CincySkeez
Posted 7/5/2022 3:32 PM (#1008501 - in reply to #1008496)

Kirby Budrow - 7/5/2022 12:40 PM

I've kept out of the discussion for the most part but I'll state my opinion. Livescope is cool. I bought one this winter. I have yet to sharp shoot a musky with it, and I have tried. Seeing the fish in their environment is very eye opening. The method of sharp shooting is boring though. I'm debating selling it already, although watching walleyes swim around down there has me loading up the jigging rap box in the boat.

Keep it out of tournaments. Just one screen isn't that big of a deal but 6 is out of control.

Also, I don't think anyone has pointed out the fact that the guy who won this tournament is the same guy who caught the Minnesota state record last fall. Remember that fish somehow just died in extremely cold water. Anyone who thinks "it doesn't make a difference and you can't make the fish bite" is blind.

Edit - BNelson point it out!

Absolutely on the money.

Sailing has this issue, bunch of rich dudes buy fast boats, fancy computers to help predict the wind and optimal course. This is all adjusted for via a handicapping system.

IDK have a livescope and then all the rest division. I know it would be one heck of a feather in the cap to put up respectable numbers in the "Regular division"

I know i'm sick or hearing guides talk about how they use it, sick of videos, and sick of anglers harassing fish........kind of feels like flossing a salmon but in the musky world.

Edited by CincySkeez 7/5/2022 3:38 PM
bturg
Posted 7/5/2022 4:49 PM (#1008503 - in reply to #1008496)

Kirby Budrow - 7/5/2022 12:40 PM

"Also, I don't think anyone has pointed out the fact that the guy who won this tournament is the same guy who caught the Minnesota state record last fall. Remember that fish somehow just died in extremely cold water."

I don't know the man (so I'm not defending anyone) at all but the reality is sometimes they just die. For example hook one in the junction of gills and throat (essentially the main artery) and they will bleed out in seconds and nothing can stop it. Generally your not fishing deep enough on that lake in late fall for trauma caused by depth to be an issue. No idea if the fish was located via electronics but certainly the pond is somewhat of a needle in a haystack scenario otherwise.

It is baseless and certainly not right to imply that the record fish was anything but a statistic that died because someone hooked it while fishing for muskies. If he killed it on purpose and you have clear facts on that then that should be stated otherwise your just seeking to discredit someone who has had some success in the sport of late.

Just my opinion...

Edited by bturg 7/5/2022 4:52 PM
sworrall
Posted 7/5/2022 5:09 PM (#1008504 - in reply to #1008484)

BNelson - 7/5/2022 10:55 AM

also, I think those who think that technology won't hurt fisheries are dead wrong. limits will have to be altered and imo more muskies will have to be stocked. Muskies use to be able to 'hide' somewhat in open water, that is no more. Delayed mortality is obviously a real thing well if more and more fish are getting caught by the use of that crap more will die, it's simple math... Now guys can and DO sit on top of 50 inchers 20 feet down jigging them until they bite, yes that is how some are getting caught. Big picture I honestly wish that technology was never invented. It will change the sport and not for the good. Period.

The reality is not many folks care what you or I think except those who know you and I (for better or worse). The tech is out there, and anglers across the board will use it. If you think the noise is loud in competitive muskie angling, you should have followed competitive crappie fishing when the Livscope hit. It was, according to general consensus, the end of competitive crappie angling as we know it, yet here we are a couple of seasons in and it's hardly a mention anymore.

I get it there's a big difference between conservation for crappies and muskies, but the simple fact is we'll ALL have to deal with it. Will I sharp-shoot muskies? Nope, boring. Then again, I don't fish tournaments, either.

Our fisheries management will undoubtedly change if the predictions in your post come to pass, adjusting just like they have to increasing pressure over the last 50 years.

Thanks for the post bturg, I was interrupted by someone stealing Paul Hartman's Facebook account and selling fictional Yorkies or I'd have said close to what you said, just not as well.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)