Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Be careful out there - local lake deaths

Message Subject: Be careful out there - local lake deaths
OH Musky
Posted 6/11/2022 7:47 AM (#1006920)
Subject: Be careful out there - local lake deaths

Not a "fishing" post but one that affects us nonetheless. The number of lake deaths just in our local area has jumped up dramatically. In the span of about a month, six people have died on the water. Two fisherman drowned when their boat sank, one 15 yr old drowned while swimming, a mid-age jet skier hit a wake wrong, suffered a "medical emergency" and drowned, a paddle boarder was found drowned on a high traffic lake and now a report of a 13 yr old jet skier that didn't make it back home (same lake).

It is absolutely nuts out there with all the "new" boats. No one follows the posted signs, skiing in/out of no-wake zones, and it seems that the "rules of the road" are "for the other guy" to follow. I won't even go into the launch/recovery aspect of it at the ramps as we've all seen what a mess that can be. Fishing solo 99% of the time, my head feels like it's spinning on a pole when I'm moving from spot to spot. Our lakes are supposed to be for pleasure not a grave. There are no where near enough rangers or watercraft folks to police all areas of all lakes so bad operating doesn't get addressed.

Be careful out on the water, and watch out of the all the yahoos with no clue on safe boating or the skills to do so.
North of 8
Posted 6/11/2022 8:42 AM (#1006922 - in reply to #1006920)
Subject: Re: Be careful out there - local lake deaths

I was out on the lake where I live yesterday fishing a shoreline and some guys came flying through the channel near where I was fishing. For a second I thought they were coming straight at me but veered and headed to the bar on the lake for lunch I guess.
They had come around a blind corner at wide open throttle, if someone had been in the narrow channel, they would have had nowhere to go. Fishing boat, guessing they had been out all morning and were ready for lunch but sometimes people just don't stop and do the "what ifs".

On the other hand, it being one of the first nice days, several guys came out on PWCs and when they saw me they headed for the far side of the lake. Appreciated that.
7.62xJay
Posted 6/11/2022 10:28 AM (#1006923 - in reply to #1006920)

We were wind drifting a 15ftdeep x 25acre semi protected weed flat last week on a 1,100acre lake last week. After a wind direction change, the pan fisherman decided to join us. Wasn't long and there was a row of 6 boats in parallel all drifting the same. No issues there, everyone was respectfully spaced, at the end when everyone fired up to motor back, nobody gunned it, we all just kept the same pace back to the starting point, those that wanted a different position in line didn't barge their way in, they just went further behind us. It was pretty cool to see everyone being respectful.
And than- A pontoon wide open starts heading toward the group, since there are no docks over here, I think we all assumed they were going to join the party. Nope. Idiot blew right between me and another guy and his wife, they screamed and flipped em the bird, dude attempts to execute a high speed sharp turn in 3 ft of water just b4 shore, doesn't have the room for it, so he kills it, putts back and forth getting himself straightened out, than opens it up and starts blasting to go inbetween myself and shore. I did something I've always held back from doing. I casted at em, perfect cast too I will say, Livingston Bulldozer bounced perfectly off their pontoon and made it ring, plus my bait didn't explode. It was a 14-16 year old boy driving with a bunch of cocktail hour adults in the boat. Pssssss. Had the whole lake to drive like a fool, Nobody was in the main center recreationaly boating.
chuckski
Posted 6/11/2022 8:35 PM (#1006926 - in reply to #1006920)

We had 4 last weekend and are at 12 for the year already. (This is for Colorado)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)