Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky spawning already?

Message Subject: Musky spawning already?
North of 8
Posted 5/5/2022 9:55 AM (#1006124)
Subject: Musky spawning already?

Was just down doing some work on the hillside by the lake and saw a big splash along the shoreline.  Walked down the steps and a big fish partly surfaced as it spun around, silt in the water.  Without my polarized glasses really couldn't see much under the water due to glare.  It is an area where I have seen spawning muskies a number of times over the years but was thinking the water was too cold.  The area is shallow, sandy and gets full morning sun light, so warmer than further out.  Could they be spawning?
Solitario Lupo
Posted 5/5/2022 10:31 AM (#1006126 - in reply to #1006124)
Subject: Re: Musky spawning already?

Good possibility I know in my area the water is warm enough so they are in the shallows.
chuckski
Posted 5/5/2022 10:53 AM (#1006127 - in reply to #1006124)

Most years up your way the ice goes off in early April then they spawn, I know years ago I was in Duluth in early April for the Muskie INC. spring board meeting, after the meeting we went to western Wisconsin to stay with a friends son and we were in a bar and word was the Muskies were spawning. We got up the next morning and went and watched and got some cool pictures.
On this trip the ice was just going out on some lakes we passed. It's my understanding in late springs on the big clear lakes the Muskies reabsorb the eggs and the next year they won't spawn and they lose two years of spawning. On dark river system lakes they should be ok. (we hope) we had dual follows in late June in Ontario (my dad a smaller male and me giant female) One of the larger Muskies I've seen in my life. And on the same body of water my dad got our largest fish on the first of July it was long and thick and I don't think it dropped it's eggs. really heavy. In contrast he (dad) got a big fish in Wisconsin on the 4th of July and it was spawned out. He kept this fish and the taxidermist was bummed out because at the time they charged by weight.
IAJustin
Posted 5/5/2022 12:06 PM (#1006130 - in reply to #1006124)

Im sure they were, muskies are extremely intelligent - they know a big warm up is coming and they should dump eggs on or before mothers day...smart mothers!
North of 8
Posted 5/5/2022 12:27 PM (#1006132 - in reply to #1006130)

IAJustin - 5/5/2022 12:06 PM

Im sure they were, muskies are extremely intelligent - they know a big warm up is coming and they should dump eggs on or before mothers day...smart mothers!

My neighbor had one up along his shore as well, so I guess they are spawning.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/5/2022 12:41 PM (#1006133 - in reply to #1006132)

I guess its not out of the question. The sun warm the shallows pretty quickly at this time of year. And they know when its time to do their thing.
RobertK
Posted 5/5/2022 2:08 PM (#1006137 - in reply to #1006124)

I'm not a fisheries biologist. But I would guess muskies spawn based on three factors: 1) Egg development (ie what's going on with THEIR bodies beyond their environment), 2) Photoperiod (hours of daylight are a good indicator of what the weather SHOULD be like), and 3) Water temperature (will their young survive in the current environment).

My guess is that if their eggs are ready and the hours of daylight are about right, they'll move in to spawn even when water temperatures are a bit low. It wouldn't surprise me at all if muskies are spawning now even though water is a bit cool.
sworrall
Posted 5/5/2022 3:59 PM (#1006139 - in reply to #1006124)

Water temps at 56 on the shorelines where I was today, so sure.
North of 8
Posted 5/5/2022 4:43 PM (#1006140 - in reply to #1006139)

sworrall - 5/5/2022 3:59 PM

Water temps at 56 on the shorelines where I was today, so sure.

That would do it. And I would not have been as surprised if it was happening on the north shore of the lake but we are on the south side and don't warm as quickly. But, we do get good morning sun so that probably is enough. Always fun to see.
Ogandrews
Posted 5/7/2022 10:21 PM (#1006192 - in reply to #1006124)

Spent the last two days fishing on brushy creek in Iowa. Had multiple follows all out of 10-15 fow near spawning areas, couple really nice fish for Iowa. I had one really lazy follow in 2 fow from a super beat up male so at least some of them have spawned but assuming the rest are in the process right now. Water was anywhere from 50-59 so looks like I picked the wrong weekend to make the drive. Still super fun to get a couple hot follows after this winter
happy hooker
Posted 5/8/2022 11:08 AM (#1006211 - in reply to #1006192)

I know the Minnesota dnr was taking eggs on lake Rebecca last week I called to see if they needed volunteers
RJ_692
Posted 5/9/2022 8:12 AM (#1006239 - in reply to #1006124)

had a friend send me a few pics over the weekend of fished paired up on minnetonka.
Smell_Esox
Posted 5/12/2022 8:24 AM (#1006317 - in reply to #1006124)

We've been doing a muskie assessment on Lake Alexander (Central MN) this spring since ice-out (5/5). The big girls start to spawn as water temps get into the low 50s. We had some ripe females beginning early this week. Water temps were 49-56 depending on where we were on the lake. The Walleye spawn was peak and done in about 4-5 days. Northern Pike had begun before ice-out and are mostly done now. Crappies are moving if you are looking to get in on the early warm bay bite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)