Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fly fishing muskie

Message Subject: Fly fishing muskie
Solitario Lupo
Posted 4/17/2022 1:04 PM (#1004482)
Subject: Fly fishing muskie

So I got out for the first time of the year to try a new fly rod (10 wt) I made and a new fly I made which was a golden rainbow fly. The third cast caught a little one little over 30in. The fly is about 4.5in. So what’s your thoughts should I beef up the fly and make it longer for bigger ones are stick to this pattern and the bigger ones should attack it.
TCESOX
Posted 4/17/2022 6:09 PM (#1004519 - in reply to #1004482)
Subject: Re: Fly fishing muskie

Don't change a thing, with it. If it gets bit, it's good. I would make a larger (significantly larger) version of the same fly, for those times and places that fish want big baits. I've caught plenty of small fish on big baits, and plenty of large fish on small baits. Depends on where and when you are fishing.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 4/17/2022 7:39 PM (#1004524 - in reply to #1004519)

With fly patterns it’s more about the movement of the fly and the design. One of my designs shoots from side to side and seems to work in a variety of sizes.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 4/17/2022 9:23 PM (#1004530 - in reply to #1004482)

Thanks for the answers. This pattern I fish is a game changer it also has good action and I saw it swim side to side with the tail. I think that’s what got the strike.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)