Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Gloves for sun protection

Message Subject: Gloves for sun protection
North of 8
Posted 4/5/2022 7:27 PM (#1004191)
Subject: Gloves for sun protection

For many years I have been slathering on sun screen, and the last few years have been wearing a buff to protect my ears, neck. Today while seeing a doctor about something else, he told me I am at very high risk for skin cancer, due to the problem he was evaluating. One area of concern is my hands. I spend a lot if time on the water between fishing and kayaking. Thinking about getting some gloves like I see bass fishermen wearing. Any suggestions?
sworrall
Posted 4/5/2022 7:34 PM (#1004192 - in reply to #1004191)
Subject: RE: Gloves for sun protection

Have heard good things about these:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fish-monkey-half-finger-guide-gloves
North of 8
Posted 4/5/2022 7:38 PM (#1004193 - in reply to #1004192)

sworrall - 4/5/2022 7:34 PM

Have heard good things about these:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fish-monkey-half-finger-guide-gloves...

Thanks Steve. I guess the good thing is that given the weather in our area, going to be a while before
I am fishing soft water.
chuckski
Posted 4/5/2022 7:52 PM (#1004194 - in reply to #1004191)
Subject: Re: Gloves for sun protection

My dad was a fair skinned Dane and in his later years had cancer on his nose and on the top of his head. Back in his day they did not have all the stuff we have!
Mojo1269
Posted 4/5/2022 8:53 PM (#1004197 - in reply to #1004191)

I have been using Patagonia Sun Gloves for a few seasons and like them. I tend to run hot and these have not been uncomfortable at any point.
ghoti
Posted 4/5/2022 9:45 PM (#1004198 - in reply to #1004191)

I'll second the Fish Monkey gloves. Have had a pair for 2 seasons. Very comfortable and unobtrusive.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/5/2022 9:48 PM (#1004199 - in reply to #1004197)

We’ve been using a light weight Nitrile Foam glove for many years. Very reasonable, and very cushion like  friendly on your hands, with a nice rubbery grip. Rotate 2-3 pairs out as they get wet. I believe they were about $3 a pair.

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 4/5/2022 9:56 PM
7.62xJay
Posted 4/5/2022 11:04 PM (#1004201 - in reply to #1004191)

Purely because it was quick and easy to buy I tried a pair of textured sticky grip baseball or football gloves (I can't remember). Love them for Kayak or row boat fishing or for a day of ripping rubber.
Pepper
Posted 4/5/2022 11:59 PM (#1004202 - in reply to #1004191)

I bought monkey gloves as an impulse purchase when waiting in line at Reeds I like them and would buy agai. Golf gloves would also work
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/6/2022 11:39 AM (#1004212 - in reply to #1004191)

I have skin cancer problems too. I just wear my Musky Armour gloves. They last a long time, give a good grip on rod and reel and when I get a fish I'm ready!
jasonvkop
Posted 4/6/2022 8:16 PM (#1004221 - in reply to #1004191)

I bought these last season and have been very happy with them. They cover your wrist really well too so you're usually fully protected if wearing a long-sleeve sun shirt. They also have good grip and are very comfortable when palming a reel.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/glacier-glove-islamorada-sun-gloves
RLSea
Posted 4/6/2022 9:18 PM (#1004222 - in reply to #1004212)

Larry Ramsell - 4/6/2022 11:39 AM

I have skin cancer problems too. I just wear my Musky Armour gloves. They last a long time, give a good grip on rod and reel and when I get a fish I'm ready!

This is what I wear also.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/musky-armor-musky-gloves
North of 8
Posted 4/6/2022 9:31 PM (#1004223 - in reply to #1004222)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took me a little by surprise when the doc at Mayo told me I was so vulnerable to skin cancer but he is supposed to be an expert in this area, so I will take it very seriously. Not going to stay off the water or inside but I will do everything I can to minimize risk. Already have a couple buffs and several styles of sun shirts for fishing but my hands have a lot of what my primary care doc calls sun damage, despite sun screen.
North of 8
Posted 4/26/2022 8:43 AM (#1004842 - in reply to #1004191)

An update and a question. I ended up not buying gloves because my daughter bought me some at Cabela's for my birthday, which was right after my doctor visit. She also bought me another buff, which is nice to have. The puzzling gift was a pair of sleeves, made of the same material as the buff, also from Cabela's. Never saw those before. I guess those are for days where you decide to wear a t-shirt instead of a long-sleeved shirt? Anybody here actually use these?
(Don't get me wrong, really appreciate the thoughtful gifts, she bought me my first buff three years ago and my ears appreciate it)
RLSea
Posted 4/26/2022 2:59 PM (#1004862 - in reply to #1004191)

Never tried the sleeves. I got a few of those sun hoodies last year which I like.
chasintails
Posted 4/28/2022 12:11 PM (#1004881 - in reply to #1004191)

Simms makes some great gear for sun protection. They also have some stuff that's got bug stopper built into it, which is nice to keep the black flies and skeeters down.
RJ_692
Posted 4/29/2022 7:02 AM (#1004905 - in reply to #1004842)

North of 8 - 4/26/2022 8:43 AM

An update and a question. I ended up not buying gloves because my daughter bought me some at Cabela's for my birthday, which was right after my doctor visit. She also bought me another buff, which is nice to have. The puzzling gift was a pair of sleeves, made of the same material as the buff, also from Cabela's. Never saw those before. I guess those are for days where you decide to wear a t-shirt instead of a long-sleeved shirt? Anybody here actually use these?
(Don't get me wrong, really appreciate the thoughtful gifts, she bought me my first buff three years ago and my ears appreciate it)

sleeves are nice when it is hot. as good as the material is in the new long sleeve fishing shirts, a short sleeve one with arm sleeves will allow more airflow.

especially good if they have the thumb hole, helps keep getting a band burn.

for work i have to spend a fair amount of time down south in the summer where it hot hot and the sleeves are really nice

North of 8
Posted 4/29/2022 7:15 AM (#1004906 - in reply to #1004905)

RJ_692 - 4/29/2022 7:02 AM

North of 8 - 4/26/2022 8:43 AM

sleeves are nice when it is hot. as good as the material is in the new long sleeve fishing shirts, a short sleeve one with arm sleeves will allow more airflow.

especially good if they have the thumb hole, helps keep getting a band burn.

for work i have to spend a fair amount of time down south in the summer where it hot hot and the sleeves are really nice

Thanks for the reply, that is helpful. After posting saw the sleeves are popular with pro golfers and that makes sense that on really hot days they would be a little cooler when paired with a short sleeve shirt. Don't have that many hot days here in northern WI but we do get some. I have been pretty good in the past with sunscreen, sun shirts, etc., but the doctor at Mayo put a lot of emphasis on the potential in my case for skin cancer so I plan to be even more cautious. Not going to quit fishing, hiking, kayaking, snow shoeing, etc. but have to be smarter. I am outside a lot in winter and have not been good about sun protection when there is snow on the ground. Guess that has to change.
Glad to see a lot of young fishermen on the water by me seem to be taking a lot more precautions than we did when I was young.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)