Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> North of Lake Superior

Message Subject: North of Lake Superior
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/14/2022 12:33 PM (#1003488)
Subject: North of Lake Superior

Not sure what forum to put this in, but here goes. There seems to be very limited numbers of musky waters in Canada directly north of Lake Superior. Less than 100 miles west, you have the LOW and all the other musky lakes. In planning a summer trip, I started looking around and couldn't find any lakes Wonder why?

I also wonder why they call it Northwestern Ontario, when that area is actually in southwestern Ontario.
mikie
Posted 3/14/2022 2:37 PM (#1003492 - in reply to #1003488)
Subject: Re: North of Lake Superior

Some good muskies east of Toronto, also. m
TCESOX
Posted 3/14/2022 5:05 PM (#1003498 - in reply to #1003488)
Subject: RE: North of Lake Superior

ARmuskyaddict - 3/14/2022 12:33 PM

I also wonder why they call it Northwestern Ontario, when that area is actually in southwestern Ontario.

I think it is because it is northwest of where all the people in Ontario, live.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/14/2022 5:30 PM (#1003500 - in reply to #1003498)

Ya, east of Superior too. Just an interesting thing. I know there are muskies in the Duluth Harbor and right outside of it, and many other places along WI and the UP. But no info is easily available for muskies in Canada north of Superior.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/15/2022 9:01 AM (#1003511 - in reply to #1003500)

It is curious, you'd think black bay would hold a few.
pstrombe
Posted 3/17/2022 8:19 AM (#1003578 - in reply to #1003511)

Just a guess but I suspect it is due to the lack of connecting rivers and waterways. Perrault, Cedar and Wabaskang are good examples all musky water and all connected by the same river
Angling Oracle
Posted 4/8/2022 12:23 PM (#1004250 - in reply to #1003488)

There are over 250,000 lakes in Ontario - probably a large percent contain pike. There are only about 300 lakes and their associated river systems that contain musky in all of Ontario (all natural, not stocked). Dispersal after glaciation determined where they were able to go, and their habitat preferences, their biological requirements and northern pike determined where they wound up. Dispersal is determined by connected waterways - yes, however there are vast areas where muskies have unfettered access to down or upstream lakes of the same river and they do not colonize (see: Rainy, Winnipeg, English, Upper English and Lac Seul itself, which is a reservoir, the subpopulations of Georgian Bay). This is due to pike, and also likely due to homing behaviour and phermonal cues. Muskie densities are so low that biologically it makes little sense to roam into new waters away from others of your kind if your primary purpose for existence is to reproduce. There might be feeding forays, but ultimately they will likely home back to their natal waters. Expansion of range over generations would be possible and likely in many of the waters listed if not for pike (see the St. John's River in Maine/New Brunswick => no pike, dispersal - caveat being these are originally stocked fish).

Edited by Angling Oracle 4/8/2022 12:40 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 4/8/2022 3:17 PM (#1004255 - in reply to #1004250)

Does anyone have a clear answer on whether these Ontario fish are sympatric or allopatric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)