Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Cobbs & H-H Lures

Message Subject: Cobbs & H-H Lures
dward
Posted 3/6/2022 2:22 PM (#1003218)
Subject: Cobbs & H-H Lures

I know cobbs are very highly thought of lures , especially 20-30 years ago. I’m from WI, so to me this was more of an east coast lure. It seems like H&H (Hilton & Hughey) now have the rights to make these. It also seems like they also have some older inventory of original cobbs that they are selling and some of which they only painted.

I’m interested in maybe buying one of each, most likely in the 8 or 10 inch variety and probably the round nose version.

Who out there can tell me more about these, differences from cobbs to H&H version, etc

Thanks in advance for the insight
mm3
Posted 3/6/2022 8:22 PM (#1003227 - in reply to #1003218)
Subject: RE: Cobbs & H-H Lures

The Cobbs should be thought of as West Virginia Mountains proud craftsmanship not East Coast. Subtle point, but really important to the bait makers in that region. The originals are super high quality hand crafted lures that all work really well (glide, twitch, etc.). Never seem to get a dud and they hold up really well. Not sure about the H-H lures.

Lloyd Jones baits and Smuttly Dog baits are out of that same area and produce really high quality hand crafted lures - there are others as well.
miket55
Posted 3/6/2022 9:11 PM (#1003229 - in reply to #1003227)

mm3 - 3/6/2022 9:22 PM

The Cobbs should be thought of as West Viginia Mountains proud craftsmanship not East Coast. Subtle point, but really important to the bait makers in that region. The originals are super high quality hand crafted lures that all work really well (glide, twitch, etc.). Never seem to get a dud and they hold up really well. Not sure about the H-H lures.

Lloyd Jones baits and Smuttly Dog baits are out of that same area and produce really high quality hand crafted lures - there are others as well.

I prefer "Appalachian Region".. There's a good number of amazing "basement" producers all throughout the region, as far south as North Carolina.
dward
Posted 3/6/2022 9:26 PM (#1003233 - in reply to #1003227)

From where I live and fish…WI, MN and LOTW in Canada …. WV is definitely a far eastern Muskie zone to me… ha!!

Not quite coast, I more meant Eastern Zone of Muskie fishing.

Thanks for comments… more insight on how the latest version of these lures are from H& H would be helpful too
miket55
Posted 3/6/2022 10:40 PM (#1003235 - in reply to #1003218)
Subject: Re: Cobbs & H-H Lures

You'd be pleasantly surprised how much further muskies roam.. there's VA, TN, and even NC...
mikie
Posted 3/7/2022 7:06 AM (#1003240 - in reply to #1003218)

FYI, Jack Cobb passed away several years ago. I knew him through my Muskies Inc chapter. He gave my grand daughter her first muskie bait.
Rest with Muskies, Jack! m

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/NLYDxK97/IMGP0004.jpg[/img]
mm3
Posted 3/7/2022 7:36 AM (#1003241 - in reply to #1003229)

miket55 - 3/6/2022 9:11 PM

mm3 - 3/6/2022 9:22 PM

The Cobbs should be thought of as West Virginia Mountains proud craftsmanship not East Coast. Subtle point, but really important to the bait makers in that region. The originals are super high quality hand crafted lures that all work really well (glide, twitch, etc.). Never seem to get a dud and they hold up really well. Not sure about the H-H lures.

I prefer "Appalachian Region".. There's a good number of amazing "basement" producers all throughout the region, as far south as North Carolina.

Good point, Pennsylvania as well.

Sorry, back to the Cobbs/H-H comparison...
chuckski
Posted 3/7/2022 7:40 PM (#1003256 - in reply to #1003218)

Off the top of my head I have least eight of these. Nice looking lures and they catch fish. Crazy Shad, Round Nose Jerk, six inch twitch both shallow and deep. However Two are in need of repair. Bad paint jobs water got under the paint and one was brand new. I will take the time to repair them or find someone to repair them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)