Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Kayak Muskies?

Message Subject: Kayak Muskies?
Slamr
Posted 3/4/2022 9:38 AM (#1003161)
Subject: Kayak Muskies?

It might have been cabin fever, or I'm going to through a mini mid-life crisis but I pulled the trigger on a new boat yesterday, a brand spankin new Old Town Kayak Sportsman 120 PDL.

Anybody here fish muskies out of a kayak?

Tips?

Thoughts?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(new boat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments new boat.jpg (113KB - 130 downloads)
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/4/2022 9:50 AM (#1003162 - in reply to #1003161)
Subject: Re: Kayak Muskies?

If I was flexible enough to get in and out of one of those they would be a hoot. Shallow rivers you would have all to yourself.
Slamr
Posted 3/4/2022 10:13 AM (#1003163 - in reply to #1003162)

Brian Hoffies - 3/4/2022 9:50 AM

If I was flexible enough to get in and out of one of those they would be a hoot. Shallow rivers you would have all to yourself.

Not going to lie, part of the reason I got this thing was to force myself to get my big old butt in shape enough to use it!
OH Muskyman
Posted 3/4/2022 10:20 AM (#1003164 - in reply to #1003161)

I have and it can be a lot of fun. With that said you will have to change up your F8 and netting/unhooking from the kayak is no easy task,I would recommend going to the bank to do that if you can. Sure makes it easy to access most all streams that hold musky that otherwise you couldn’t fish. Also a small river anchor off the back can be a big help at times. The one I have is a little smaller than this one and I do have issues throwing larger baits, as it will pull the yak some, alternating cast off each side helps too. Good luck
true tiger tamer
Posted 3/4/2022 11:31 AM (#1003167 - in reply to #1003161)

I landed a 48 inch tiger from an 8 foot toy pelican kayak. It is fun but difficult to handle and land a fish from a kayak. That fish towed me (you can't paddle and reel at the same time, the fastest my kayak has ever traveled). A peddle kayak would be much better. Definitely a challenge, but also a lot of fun.
North of 8
Posted 3/4/2022 11:48 AM (#1003168 - in reply to #1003167)

I fish for crappies from mine and did try for muskies one time. I hooked an upper 30s fish and it towed me in circles and then I lost it at the boat. I realized I had not completely prepared for actually catching one. Have not gone after skis since. But, the yak you have is much better suited than mine. I do wish I had spent the money on a paddle kayak.

And Brian I am older than you. If I can in and out, so can you. Just have a plan, be methodical and you will be fine. We kayak during the summer with a group on various waters and many are in their mid 70s. One of the longer river trips is over 3 hours and one lady needs a hand getting out because she gets stiff but that is about the only problem we encounter.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/4/2022 10:18 PM (#1003180 - in reply to #1003161)

Everything OH MuskyMan said I agree with. Anchoring I'd say is subject to river speed,if you don't NEED it don't use it! I've been spun around multiple times and I can only imagine how sketchy a tangled fish could become.
When you hook up keep your rod out as far as possible while still having good control, that way if she decides to shoot underneath when your trying to net you can quickly release the spool and whip your rod to the otherside.
I max my drags out, you pull yourself to the fish.
Obviously your one hand netting, so once she's bagged I pop the bail and stow the rod, than slip the net handle underneath my knees and drop my legs on it. This gives you both hands to work on the fish.
Yours has peddles,mine doesn't, but either way, I can't remember if I got it off Amazon or Sportsmans Guide, but I Highly Recommend a Carbon Fiber Fishing Paddle. They're super light,float, have slots for lure/line/decoy retrievel, and 90 degree angles where the paddle meets the shaft which seems mediocre but I promise you it's super nice for pulling your self against shore,bog, rocks,logs,etc.
And like OH MuskyMan said, your baits pull you, sweet in some cases,salty in others.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/4/2022 10:25 PM (#1003181 - in reply to #1003180)

Also, a Kayak Paddle coiled leash is recommended, you hook up and you can just pitch it and 4get it, especially if it's a floating paddle.

Edited by 7.62xJay 3/4/2022 10:30 PM
YakMuskySR
Posted 3/5/2022 12:56 PM (#1003193 - in reply to #1003161)
Subject: RE: Kayak Muskies?

Absolutely! I fish small and medium sized rivers for muskies from a Pelican Catch 120. It is a lot of fun but as others have said, it takes some planning. A paddle leash is key if you are using a paddle, so that you do not have to worry about losing your paddle when chaos ensues after hooking/landing a musky. Have all of your hook removal gear in front of you and within reach so that you can cut/remove hooks immediately. Depending on the river and current speed, it can be helpful to have a 2nd kayaker with you to have them net the fish for you, although it is no easy task netting a fish while 2 kayaks are drifting down river. Make sure you can get comfortable with standing in your kayak while fishing, so that you can pull off a figure eight. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do from a seated position in terms of boatside maneuvers, so being able to stand is important. Oh yeah, and wear that life jacket at all times if you plan on standing, as a lot can go wrong when casting, setting hooks, and doing figure eights while standing in a kayak.

Here is a link to a kayak musky trip I took down a small river in 2020. Getting the fish in the net was an absolute sh**show and downright comical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkeQzrkZog
YakMuskySR
Posted 3/5/2022 1:04 PM (#1003194 - in reply to #1003161)

Absolutely! I fish small and medium sized rivers for muskies from a Pelican Catch 120. It is a lot of fun but as others have said, it takes some planning. A paddle leash is key if you are using a paddle, so that you do not have to worry about losing your paddle when chaos ensues after hooking/landing a musky. Have all of your hook removal gear in front of you and within reach so that you can cut/remove hooks immediately. Depending on the river and current speed, it can be helpful to have a 2nd kayaker with you to have them net the fish for you, although it is no easy task netting a fish while 2 kayaks are drifting down river. Make sure you can get comfortable with standing in your kayak while fishing, so that you can pull off a figure eight. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do from a seated position in terms of boatside maneuvers, so being able to stand is important. Oh yeah, and wear that life jacket at all times if you plan on standing, as a lot can go wrong when casting, setting hooks, and doing figure eights while standing in a kayak.

Here is a link to a kayak musky trip I took down a small river in 2020. Getting the fish in the net was an absolute sh**show and downright comical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkeQzrkZog
YakMuskySR
Posted 3/5/2022 2:33 PM (#1003197 - in reply to #1003194)

Here are a couple of photos from my kayak musky adventures!

(BF casting.jpg)

(BF net musky.jpg)

(BF 42.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BF casting.jpg (381KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments BF net musky.jpg (387KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments BF 42.jpg (381KB - 127 downloads)
chuckski
Posted 3/5/2022 8:16 PM (#1003201 - in reply to #1003161)

Been wanting a single person Canoe for years and took a long look at Kayak last spring. Both my brother in law and sister have Kayak's maybe go out with my brother in law and fish out of my sister's craft. I wonder if anybody would laugh at me if I fish out of a pink Kayak?
BillM
Posted 3/6/2022 2:02 PM (#1003216 - in reply to #1003161)

I can't see how the extended fights and release times in a kayak is going to be good for the fish. I'm sure it's a great time, but muskie isn't something I'd be targeting out of one of those things.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/6/2022 2:49 PM (#1003219 - in reply to #1003216)

BillM - 3/6/2022 2:02 PM

I can't see how the extended fights and release times in a kayak is going to be good for the fish. I'm sure it's a great time, but muskie isn't something I'd be targeting out of one of those things.

I've only ever had 1 fight that was "extended". That was 100% my stupid fault, hooked up at night throwing topwater for smallies.Right before I was about to reach the landing i hooked into a 39". In a panic I knocked off my headlamp into the back of the Kayak trying to turn it on. Cloud covered night I could barely see so I popped my bail, stowed the rod, and hauled ass to the landing. Jumped out and waded waist deep right in front of the prop wash hole. Net clenched inbetween my legs, I pulled her on in. Thankfully she wasn't much of a fighter and I got the creeper out no problem. We sat together in the water for what seemed like forever but the whole ordeal was probably 5min or less. Felt terrible about it for a few days, but failure is an incredible teacher. Now if it's sundown, I only run heavy equipment and now carry multiple lights.

Otherwise man, provided you have the right equipment, drags locked out, learn to thumb the drag, it's super fast to burn the fish in, your not just pulling the fish to you, your also pulling yourself to the fish. Netting solo isn't all that hard with the proper size loop, we never partner net. In addition I just net release.
But I totally understand where your opinion comes from, I've witnessed it plenty of times in person, and countlessly on the internet. It seems like when you put folks into canoes and kayaks, regardless of species, it's like they default to a mental state of thinking they have 6lb mono on and need to play the fish out.

Edited by 7.62xJay 3/6/2022 2:57 PM
horsehunter
Posted 3/9/2022 6:17 AM (#1003330 - in reply to #1003201)

chuckski - 3/5/2022 9:16 PM

Been wanting a single person Canoe for years and took a long look at Kayak last spring. Both my brother in law and sister have Kayak's maybe go out with my brother in law and fish out of my sister's craft. I wonder if anybody would laugh at me if I fish out of a pink Kayak?

Don't worry about it your a muskie fisherman everyone laughs at us anyway.
I prefer my Pack Boat ( light weight canoe, Kayak style seat and paddle) less than half the weight of any of my sit on top kayaks.
Get rid of the net ,learn Leach Lake Lip Lock, go barbless, forget the posed hero shots one 40 inch fish looks much like another.
chuckski
Posted 3/13/2022 10:59 PM (#1003470 - in reply to #1003161)

I've fished a lot out of a Canoe, travel light with heavy dose of humor, and if you don't want something to get wet leave it home and bring lots of bungy cords. And I can take and give a good ribbing! All kidding aside WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET!
jonsie
Posted 3/14/2022 11:45 AM (#1003486 - in reply to #1003161)

Most of the time kayaks are used is in the middle of the hottest water temps. Get the yak to the bank - throw your anchor so it doesn't float away and get out of the yak to land the fish. Much easier on both of you - Mr Teeth and You. It's all fun until the muskie jumps and gets the hooks in you while landing because of you being cautious trying not to flip the yak.

Oh yeah...one more thing to think of. Loosen your drag when you hook one. I know of a guy who lost all his equipment because the musky flipped the yak with his dumbass leaning the wrong way. He went to net a large musky that was still "green" and the fish lunged under his yak. He had both hands full of net and rod --- splash. He even got a bonus of having to hold on to the yak until he floated far enough to touch bottom. He said it was a rough trip back to the truck loosing all his equipment and his possible PB.

Edited by jonsie 3/14/2022 11:55 AM
tomyv
Posted 3/28/2022 9:26 AM (#1003916 - in reply to #1003161)

I am in.

That is all.
Slamr
Posted 3/28/2022 12:09 PM (#1003921 - in reply to #1003916)

tomyv - 3/28/2022 9:26 AM

I am in.

That is all.

Tomyv sighting. Weird.
chuckski
Posted 5/2/2022 11:43 AM (#1005006 - in reply to #1003161)

I was at my sister's house looking at her pink Kayak and telling the story of me posting on this sight of fishing out of a pink Kayak and she said "Fat chance" "her Kayak is rated for 150 pounds" and I'm north of 200 pounds!
North of 8
Posted 5/2/2022 12:21 PM (#1005007 - in reply to #1005006)

chuckski - 5/2/2022 11:43 AM

I was at my sister's house looking at her pink Kayak and telling the story of me posting on this sight of fishing out of a pink Kayak and she said "Fat chance" "her Kayak is rated for 150 pounds" and I'm north of 200 pounds!

Well, my Old Town, sit in kayak designed for fishing, is rated at 300, so they have you covered.
Slamr
Posted 5/2/2022 12:30 PM (#1005008 - in reply to #1003216)

BillM - 3/6/2022 2:02 PM

Fishing for muskies is bad for muskies. Out of a kayak I see lots of water releases and no pics most of the time. It's ok to hurt muskies with hooks, not so much to take them out of the water (at least my theory).
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/2/2022 2:25 PM (#1005017 - in reply to #1003161)

Use your figure 8 to position for the next cast. That’s all I can say that hasn’t already been said
MuskieMike
Posted 5/2/2022 3:13 PM (#1005018 - in reply to #1003921)

Slamr - 3/28/2022 12:09 PM
tomyv - 3/28/2022 9:26 AM I am in. That is all.
Tomyv sighting. Weird.

HA!!!

Edited by MuskieMike 5/2/2022 3:14 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)