Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers

Message Subject: Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers
RobertK
Posted 2/19/2022 1:11 PM (#1002649)
Subject: Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers

What’s the difference?

Which do you prefer and why?
jdsplasher
Posted 2/19/2022 6:52 PM (#1002655 - in reply to #1002649)
Subject: RE: Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers

The Only Grandma I liked was the old time M-9. Great roll when twitched, or ripped. Also trolls flawless at good speeds….5+ mph. The only drawback to the M-9 is the small diameter hook hangers, and nose attachment.

All Slammer twitch, 5” and 7” shallow runners R All great baits. The 3 deep runners that R my Favs are the 4”, 7” and the 12”. Great action.

The only Jake I like is the 10”. Runs true, and offers great speeds trolled.

JD 

Steve Le Maitre
Posted 2/20/2022 2:21 AM (#1002659 - in reply to #1002655)
Subject: RE: Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers

jdsplasher - 2/19/2022 6:52 PM

The Only Grandma I liked was the old time M-9. Great roll when twitched, or ripped. Also trolls flawless at good speeds….5+ mph. The only drawback to the M-9 is the small diameter hook hangers, and nose attachment.

All Slammer twitch, 5” and 7” shallow runners R All great baits. The 3 deep runners that R my Favs are the 4”, 7” and the 12”. Great action.

The only Jake I like is the 10”. Runs true, and offers great speeds trolled.

JD 

Yes I’m with you in that nothing comes close to the M9. Discontinued in 1997 happy I’ve still got 17 !
If you like a bait that twitches well the 9” Czar is another great bait but unfortunately you need the early ones with the smaller lip otherwise Tyrant tackle can supply the smaller lips and you can change them out.
Steve
Ranger
Posted 2/20/2022 12:01 PM (#1002666 - in reply to #1002649)
Subject: Re: Grandmas/Jakes/Slammers

Here are two of my most productive baits, a 10" Jake and a 8" Granny. Both are modified, I added water to the body and wrapped lead thread around the rear hook shank. The goal was to create a twitch bait that ends up sitting flat and suspended no matter how hard I worked the lure. The intent was to make the lure look like it was screaming forward when in fact it wasn't moving more than a foot or two. The idea was to make a following muskie run right into the lure. Turned out the 8" Grannies were perfect for casting and twitching and the 10" Jakes were wonderful for trolling, including heavy twitching forward followed by a stall, drifting the rod tip back on a tight line.

ps - I can't seem to resize my pic to attach.
Ranger
Posted 2/20/2022 12:23 PM (#1002667 - in reply to #1002649)

trying this way

nope
Ogandrews
Posted 2/26/2022 8:28 AM (#1002943 - in reply to #1002649)

I love casting both slammers and grandmas. Last year I caught more fish on a 7” slammer than I did every other bait i threw put together. Slammers are very versatile baits but each size is different. The 5” and 7” are pretty cool comparable to a crane bait. Very quick float out of the pack, really aggressive swim and usually doesn’t get much more than 2’ on the cast. Both with have more lateral movement when you slack line twitch them than a crane would, especially if you upsize the hooks to give them more hang. The 6” has a different lip and not as aggressive of a swim but still great to twitch. 8” is a much deeper diving bait than the 7” I found.
The 7.5” grandma seems to have more hang and more of an erratic slack line twitch than the slammer as well as being a deeper bait. I fish slammers almost like a suick where I pull it and let it swim into cover, let it back out and repeat. Grandma I fished more like a jerkbait, crank it down and then snap through some slack and get it to go side to side. Both will work for either presentation, but I have found you can get a 7” slammer through the nastiest weeds.
Either bait responds well to upsizing hooks or adding weight like suspendots. I made a 7” slammer that would suspend and caught fish up til the 2nd week of November last year
JKahler
Posted 3/5/2022 2:03 PM (#1003195 - in reply to #1002649)

I can’t get my Slammers to run true. The thin wire is a pain to keep tuned. Jakes haven’t produced much for me so I stopped using them. Grandmas in every size have been the most productive cranks in my boat.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)