Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Big Fork Sand Cat

Message Subject: Big Fork Sand Cat
southern comfort
Posted 2/5/2022 10:13 AM (#1002080)
Subject: Big Fork Sand Cat

Looking for feedback on Big Fork Sand Cat lures. I am a big fan of dive and rise baits. What do the Sand Cats offer vs Suicks. I am especially interesred in the 4.5" version as a downsize lure for use in the spring. Does its action hold up for its small size or does it lose some of ithe action of the bigger sizes. Thnx
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/6/2022 11:02 AM (#1002104 - in reply to #1002080)
Subject: Re: Big Fork Sand Cat

I only have experience with the 10" er. They are well made, not a ton of built in action, make it your own. I add weight to the hook hangers for a little more action and depth. I've heard the 8"er has a bit more wobble or roll to it.
chuckski
Posted 2/6/2022 11:28 PM (#1002137 - in reply to #1002080)

I have a 6" and 4.5" great paint jobs with lots of flash and a little roll. They do raise a little fast for my liking but on the 4.5" some larger hooks are ok. (or even a little weight on the leader)
RobertK
Posted 2/10/2022 2:19 PM (#1002361 - in reply to #1002080)

I have the 6" and the 8". Both of them have a crankbait-like action when I pull them through the water with a straight retrieve. It's not as pronounced as an actual crankbait, but it's there. They also have a nice roll to them when they rise. Of the two, the 6" probably has the more pronounced side-to-side action and roll. I would guess the 4.5" might have even more such action.

The only issue with them, from my point of view, is that it's tough to weight them without inhibiting the action that makes them great. So you are stuck with the rise rate that they have out of the box, for the most part. Luckily, out of the box I found them to be pretty effective.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 3/10/2022 7:10 PM (#1003380 - in reply to #1002080)

I love the 8” sandcat, it’s one of my favorite lures. The 8” has the best action of all the sizes. The 8” and 10” give you a dive and rise with a shimmy and a glide out to the side. Good roll on the rise. I like long smooth pulls with varying pause length, and after a long pause a couple twitches. Like others have said you really can’t weight them without messing up the action. For me I lost the shimmy and they didn’t glide out anymore.
The 4.5 & 6” is more of a twitch bait action in my opinion, they don’t work as well with long pulls and they don’t get as much depth as the bigger ones. I still use them a lot but haven’t caught anything on it yet and prefer a crane bait.
On all sandcats I like the ability to figure eight them just like a crank bait and they glide out better then other dive and rise.
I have had surprisingly good success with them in clear water over deeper water even tho they only hit 2-4’ of depth.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)