Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> MI Chapter gets grant for new WV DNR building

Message Subject: MI Chapter gets grant for new WV DNR building
mikie
Posted 2/3/2022 7:43 AM (#1002007)
Subject: MI Chapter gets grant for new WV DNR building

I got this e-mail from our chapter president today:
In conversations with Mark Scott, WVDNR Assistant Chief of Fish Management, he informed me of a major project being undertaken by the Division of Natural Resources. A new Hatchery Building and Mussel Rearing Facility will be constructed at the Palestine State Fish Hatchery located near Elizabeth in Wirt County.

Engineering plans and site location are essentially complete with construction scheduled to begin in 2022.One half of the new hatchery facility will be used primarily for the propagation of muskie and walleye although other freshwater species may be accommodated there if needed. Of equal importance, the other half of the building will be used for the rearing of freshwater mussels.

I was made aware of a grant opportunity from the T C Energy Foundation and followed up by submitting a grant application to them. T C Energy has been in the pipeline, energy storage and power generation industry for over 70 years. Their company values include Safety, Innovation, Responsibility, Collaboration and Integrity. Through the T C Energy Build Strong Program, they provide grants to projects which support outdoor activities that have a focus on the environment, habitat enhancement and species restoration.The new hatchery building project falls in line with T C Energy’s environmental focus area.

Thestate-of -the-art hatchery will enable the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources to continue, as well as increase, rearing and stocking of two of the states’ top game fisheries and introduce the species into new water bodies as suitable. Of equal or more importance, the facility will provide a facility for the rearing of freshwater mussels. As most know, these are very important to the ecosystem and can be an indication of a clean and healthy water system for all species. Fresh water mussels have been a victim of poaching for financial reasons. With stricter controls and limits now in place to protect them, restoration of mussels is of great importance to our entire ecosystem.

I was extremely pleased in December 2021 to receive notice that the T C Energy Foundation had awarded West Virginia Chapter 09 Muskies, Inc. a grant in the amount of $30,000.00 which we will apply to the purchase of equipment for use in both areas of the new hatchery project. Chapter 09 has worked closely over the years with WV DNR in support of environmental projects, habitat restoration and expansion of fisheries across the state.

We have also provided hundreds of manhours to build or refurbish buildings, assist with fish propagation and participate in numerous research projects to enhance the fishery.With this tremendous opportunity provided by the T C Energy Foundation, we can continue to work with DNR to follow Chapter 09 Muskies, Inc, WV DNR and T C Energy goals.
Jim Moore, PresidentWest Virginia Chapter 09 Muskies, Inc.

Edited by mikie 2/3/2022 7:44 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/3/2022 8:27 AM (#1002010 - in reply to #1002007)
Subject: Re: MI Chapter gets grant for new WV DNR building

Well done! It sounds like you have a good working relationship that's doing positive things for the aquatic environment too.

Have fun! PS: I still have this image of this long haired sasquatch figure dashing around camp with a cast iron frying pan of cornbread!
mikie
Posted 2/3/2022 9:00 AM (#1002013 - in reply to #1002007)

Thanks, Al;.Jim has been our chapter president for over twenty years and has developed a great working relationship with the WV DNR, despite some personnel changes there. The dept. is greatly underfunded and we've done a lot to keep supporting the musikie program, although the state's main priority seems to be trouts. m

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Q902h0r2/Cornbread.jpg[/img]
WvRiverMusky
Posted 2/8/2022 8:39 PM (#1002286 - in reply to #1002013)

awesome chapter 9, great news. Cant say enough about Jim Moore. proud to know him and proud to be member of this chapter.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/10/2022 2:18 PM (#1002360 - in reply to #1002286)

Great work.

More muskie for Mike and Mauser to catch
Ranger
Posted 2/16/2022 10:25 PM (#1002583 - in reply to #1002010)

ESOX Maniac - 2/3/2022 9:27 AM

Well done! It sounds like you have a good working relationship that's doing positive things for the aquatic environment too.

Have fun! PS: I still have this image of this long haired sasquatch figure dashing around camp with a cast iron frying pan of cornbread!

No lie, Mikie is a cornbread nutzo. I was standing next to Al as we watched him craze around the resort. Like a soft-spoken Bozo the Clown without all the color, an immediate hit with everyone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)