Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Are Throne Brothers Custom Predators Worth It?

Message Subject: Are Throne Brothers Custom Predators Worth It?
Weiseyyy
Posted 1/5/2022 8:44 PM (#1000099)
Subject: Are Throne Brothers Custom Predators Worth It?

Hello!

I saw an old thread that was titled something similar and read through the replies, but I wanted to make a newer thread with hopefully some newer answers. Anyways, the main reason I’m asking is because just yesterday, I went to the Thorne Brothers store just outside of Minneapolis and quickly realized that it’s a pretty sweet store. Met the coolest dude ever and spent a lot of time talking about rods, reels, etc. I ended up getting my first Tranx 400 HG which I was super stoked about. I asked him about which rod would be about as versatile as possible, along with obviously being a good brand I could depend on. Of course, him being an employee, he recommended their Predator rods and did a great job at making them sound like the greatest rod in the world, which from what I’ve read, they kind of are. So, we went ahead and built the rod on paper, got the price, and essentially said, “See ya in two months or so when it’s done and here.” I told him that if I liked it, I’d pay for it in person when I see it. So, sorry about the probably unnecessary backstory, but I want to ask some opinions on their rods and if they’re as great as they seem and their price.

Thanks for reading if you did.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/5/2022 9:46 PM (#1000100 - in reply to #1000099)
Subject: RE: Are Throne Brothers Custom Predators Worth It?

Everyone I know that owns a predator Rod Loves Them!!! Custom built to your specs. They do a great Job!  Enough Said!

JD 

North of 8
Posted 1/6/2022 7:59 AM (#1000103 - in reply to #1000100)
Subject: Re: Are Throne Brothers Custom Predators Worth It?

I get what JD is saying, that having a rod built to your specs should be just the ticket. But as I think about it, not sure I would know where to start. Other than handle length and diameter I don't know what I would ask for. Would a guy need to go to the shop and check out stuff like reel seats, etc.?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 1/6/2022 8:18 AM (#1000104 - in reply to #1000099)

I've been looking at them quite a bit, how do I find the recommended lure weight ranges for the different blanks? I'm in the market for a rod up to like 10 oz but I don't know whether I'd be looking at the Heavy or XH blanks
kap
Posted 1/6/2022 9:02 AM (#1000105 - in reply to #1000099)

PA Tigers
Again this is personal preference, most people go with the heaviery XH rods for bigger baits.
I lean towards the softer heavy blanks as the cast a little better. An in between option is having Thornes cut off 2'' of the tip on a heavy which is considered by some the beast double 10 rod made.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/6/2022 9:29 AM (#1000106 - in reply to #1000099)

I reach for my predator about 80 percent of the time and don't know what I would do without it.
southern comfort
Posted 1/6/2022 9:37 AM (#1000107 - in reply to #1000099)

I would give my Predator rods the highest marks possible. The blanks are exceptional and a custom rod gives you the option to design them exactly to what you want in re to length, weight, handle size and material and appearance. You get what you pay for. There are many other options at a lower cost that provide great performance and would probably meet your needs most of the time. It really comes down to what you want to invest in a rod.
musky513
Posted 1/6/2022 11:45 AM (#1000112 - in reply to #1000099)

The Predator blank is built for Thorne Bros by St. Croix. It is the same as a Legend Tournament blank. I have not used a TB Predator, but have built and fish several LT St. Croix rods. In my opinion, the only better blank is the Legend Elite, and it's not a ton better.
Rotorhead
Posted 1/6/2022 11:58 AM (#1000116 - in reply to #1000099)

The best rods have the best hardware and quality workmanship. It's clear by comments here and on other threads that they do a great job with construction, which includes workmanship and placement/size of handles, guides, and quality of wraps and epoxy on those guides. There are several blanks that make for exceptional handling that meet the needs you want. It would be really nice to have a place with demo rods of all the best blanks in various lengths, handle lengths, powers, and actions to find out what's out there. Then a couple times a month, meet customers on a lakeshore somewhere to try what they have. Most of us know only what we have or what we've tried of our fishing partners. There may be blanks out there that are better for what you need and you'll never know unless you try. I would like to see that from Thorne. Bending or shaking a rod in a store doesn't tell you how it will fish. And, handle length makes a big difference.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 1/6/2022 11:52 PM (#1000139 - in reply to #1000099)

I love my Thorne Predator Rods, in my opinion they are the absolute best. If you are curious about what blanks for which baits contact lonnie at Thorne brothers and he will guide you in building a purpose built rod. In my experience the XH is the best all around rod out there. I use the XH 9’6” for almost everything, all rubber up to pounders, 8/8 and up blades, any crankbait and jerk/glide over 7” and most topwaters. I also have a 9’6” H with 1” off the tip for 8/8 blades and smaller and all my baits 7” and smaller, particularly twitchbaits. The handle and length specs are the biggest decision and are your preference. For guides I would altleast upgrade to the alconite guides (these are what is on st croix legend tournaments) for the small upcharge and I like getting the small micro guides to save on weight. I don’t think recoils guides are critical but if money doesn’t matter, why not
And to clear up one thing, the Predator blanks are built by st croix for Thorne brothers and are made of the same materials as the legend tournament musky rods BUT they are built to different specs/actions, Lonnie worked with st croix to build the blanks the way he wanted and he can explain each blank to you.
hahdawg
Posted 1/7/2022 9:57 AM (#1000144 - in reply to #1000099)

The XH was my only musky rod for years. I use it for just about every bait up to pounders and 12's. It's amazingly versatile, and I can't say enough good things about it.

The only thing it doesn't do well is light baits like the smallest ghosts and slammers.
mbani
Posted 1/7/2022 10:18 AM (#1000145 - in reply to #1000144)

Yep totally worth it. I really like my XH, but love my heavy -2. Super comfortable and light setup with a tranx 400 that casts super well. In my opinion not a rod for rubber or really large cranks/jerks. But a tremendous rod for everything else. Sweet spot seems to be up to about 5 or 6 ounces. A cannonball jr is about heaviest I feel comfortable throwing on heavy -2. Can even slow roll super models and detonators with it.

JAKET
Posted 1/7/2022 11:05 AM (#1000148 - in reply to #1000145)

Yes they are that good. They are built by St. Croix, but they are not the same as the Legend Tournament blanks. They have more of a parabolic action to them. This allows absolute bomb casts and I feel like they don't 'break down' as much when you are burning blades or figure 8'ing with big blades.

Heavy w/ 2" off the tip is the most comfortable rod I have ever used. It's an ideal rod for topwater and slow-rolling blades. It feels like a bass rod in your hands. I feel like I have a quicker 'trigger' with it over the XH blank, which is ideal for slow-rolling blades. Let the lighter blank absorb some of the strike and then be able to sweep the rod hard and fast on the hookset. It is just a dream to fish with. I also using it for burning smaller blades.

The XH is amazing for basically everything else. Burning bigger blades, rubber, dive and rise. More versatile than the Heavy for sure. If you only get one, I would go with the XH. There probably isn't a lure in the box you can't throw with this rod.

Torzite guides are amazing, as well. The longer you go, the more you tend to notice weight out toward the tip of the rod. Adding torzites will take some of that weight off the tip and just make the rod more comfortable to use all day, especially when fishing rubber or jerk baits. Spendy, but worth it.
Top H2O
Posted 1/7/2022 12:28 PM (#1000151 - in reply to #1000148)

I have 2 that get used about 80% of the time. they are 6 seasons old and still in pretty good shape. I abuse the heck out of them.
Best Rods I've ever used.

G-Rome
NickD
Posted 1/7/2022 1:46 PM (#1000157 - in reply to #1000099)

I own 5 predator musky rods and one spinning rod for baitfish. Fantastic rods. As mentioned they bend deeper into the rod than the LT rods but have the same high quality blank. I think it helps with keeping fish pinned. The H-2 is my favorite fishing possession. The XH is probably the all around action for big baits. But the H is a much lighter and more comfortable blank. I just don’t think it’s a good rod for bulldogs and the like. XH excels there.

TB does fantastic builds. They are full on custom so it is important you learn about your preferred handle material, handle length, Foregrip length, guide type, and wrap colors. I picked up rod building as a hobby but I’ll continue to get TB predators for musky rods even though everything else will get replaced with my own builds. Got my first one for the 2010 season and still going strong.
Ogandrews
Posted 1/10/2022 8:24 AM (#1000240 - in reply to #1000099)

Best rods in the world. I own legend tournaments and legend extremes and am selling almost all of them this year to get 2 more predators. End of last summer I bought a 10ft xxh as that was the only one that was available. It is a very powerful rod but amazing for throwing rubber. It is incredibly light for how strong it is and a perfect bend for throwing/working big rubber. I have thrown everything from double tail pounders to ripping standard dusas through weeds. Might be a little overkill for mag dawgs/standard dusas but makes ripping them through weeds as easy as possible. About to put an order in for a 10ft xh and 10ft heavy
Ronix
Posted 1/10/2022 10:00 AM (#1000244 - in reply to #1000240)

Ogandrews - 1/10/2022 9:24 AM

Best rods in the world. I own legend tournaments and legend extremes and am selling almost all of them this year to get 2 more predators. End of last summer I bought a 10ft xxh as that was the only one that was available. It is a very powerful rod but amazing for throwing rubber. It is incredibly light for how strong it is and a perfect bend for throwing/working big rubber. I have thrown everything from double tail pounders to ripping standard dusas through weeds. Might be a little overkill for mag dawgs/standard dusas but makes ripping them through weeds as easy as possible. About to put an order in for a 10ft xh and 10ft heavy

I'm surprised how little the XXH gets mentioned for applications other than the niche really big stuff. I was always told its too powerful of a rod but I prefer it over the XH for pounders, tubes, husky medusas, etc. Its my most used predator by far
chuckski
Posted 1/14/2022 11:36 PM (#1000419 - in reply to #1000099)

In 2017 I called up Thornes said I would be up in a couple weeks on my way to Vermillion could you have a 9ft XXH in stock and I will buy it. So they had least one in stock and I bought it. All I wanted was a full cork butt (I like to tuck my rod under my arm) and I don't like a bare rod blank rubbing on my ribs. Yup Ronix XXH works for lots of things. Buy one folks and you will be happy.
JKahler
Posted 1/24/2022 10:09 AM (#1001748 - in reply to #1000099)

Had a H action rod built and it has sat in the garage for 2 years unused. Definitely go XH or XXH. The H is too light, it flexes with dbl 8’s. I should have bought it in person like I did with the 10’ so I could check it out first.
JAKET
Posted 1/24/2022 11:10 AM (#1001750 - in reply to #1001748)

For sure, stock H blank is too light. But the H w/ 2" off the tip is an amazing blade rod.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/24/2022 1:10 PM (#1001754 - in reply to #1001748)

JKahler - 1/24/2022 10:09 AM

Had a H action rod built and it has sat in the garage for 2 years unused. Definitely go XH or XXH. The H is too light, it flexes with dbl 8’s. I should have bought it in person like I did with the 10’ so I could check it out first.

You can probably have them take 2" off the tip and make it a better rod still.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)