Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What is your favorite toss back bait?

Message Subject: What is your favorite toss back bait?
kdawg
Posted 12/27/2021 12:26 PM (#999923)
Subject: What is your favorite toss back bait?

As the title states, what's your favorite, if you have one. Or you just figure eight and if the fish does not strike you continue with the next cast. Also, when do you decide to use a toss back bait? Kdawg
Masqui-ninja
Posted 12/27/2021 8:08 PM (#999926 - in reply to #999923)
Subject: Re: What is your favorite toss back bait?

90% of the time, we've caught them on the same lure that they originally imprinted on. Often, it's the only one they'll follow or strike at imo. Dance with the girl that brung ya.

If that doesn't work, try something erratic.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/27/2021 9:46 PM (#999928 - in reply to #999923)

Depends on the mood of the fish. Lazy ones get a red October tube or hawg wobbler. Sometimes it’s the same bait too.
chuckski
Posted 12/28/2021 10:03 AM (#999931 - in reply to #999923)

The old MI Twinn Finn.
Top H2O
Posted 12/28/2021 11:25 AM (#999933 - in reply to #999928)

A large, modified Husky Jerk or a Weagle has worked a few times. or leave and come back later.
Mak51
Posted 12/28/2021 1:16 PM (#999935 - in reply to #999933)

6" Squirrely Phantom has put multiple toss back & random cruiser fish in the boat for me... pop pop pop pause...

Slow moving/crawling topwaters work too... Hawg Wobbler, slowly crawling a prop style, creeper, WTD, etc.

Bulldawgs, after a follow let them sink to the bottom then it rip back up to the boat, that has worked well too.

Bucktail, toss it back out and burn it back as fast as you possibly can.

I've been starting to use small minnowbaits (6"-7" stuff) more often as well but not as much experience with them as the stuff mentioned.
ToddM
Posted 12/28/2021 2:12 PM (#999936 - in reply to #999923)

If you are working well in tandem with your partner, they should have a different style bait to convert the fish. If the person in front is using a bucktail the person in the back should throw an erratic jerkbait something that moves fast and does something on a pause. It can also depend on how you are fishing, how fast the boat is moving.and the structure.
VMS
Posted 12/28/2021 6:31 PM (#999941 - in reply to #999923)

My favorite toss back bait is a 6" grandma lure with larger hooks that make it slowly rise. couple hard twitches and pause....repeat. Most times, they hit on the pause and if you can get the twitch to turn the lure sideways, the hit will be very hard.

Another tactic I have used with success in the past when fishing with a partner is a switch up in baits within the figure 8. If the fish is following multiple times but does not commit, have the partner throw out in front of you. When you get to the outside end of your 8 toward your partner, they should be reeling in, you pull your bait....the lure should be in the sight line of the fish, and the fish will hopefully commit to the new lure.

I'm also with H2O here as well... come back with a similar bait later. A wind switch, weather change, light change (sun to clouds, sunset, etc.) can be a real trigger as well. In most cases like this, I will switch up the lure, but keep it in the same category of sorts. Get a follow on a glider, switch to a walk the dog topwater. If a bucktail, maybe a prop style.... I would also consider the twitch bait here as well...

Steve
sworrall
Posted 12/28/2021 7:46 PM (#999945 - in reply to #999923)

Mine is a Violent Strike soinnerbait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)