Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Question for the Lefthand Reel users

Message Subject: Question for the Lefthand Reel users
muskymartin67
Posted 12/5/2021 5:17 AM (#999491)
Subject: Question for the Lefthand Reel users

Did some searching and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, since the tranx 500 isn't available in left hand, and I also prefer the smaller palming size reels- like the Garcia 51's which is what I have mainly used the last 10 or so years- I'm looking to get another reel, what is your go to reel, and in which gear ratio do you prefer for the larger double bucktails like the 8/9, 9s and 10's I know this has been discussed prior but it was mainly for RH reels and more options are available for the leftys today than back then, any suggestions are much appreciated - Thank you!

BTW I guess I should mention this reel will be dedicated for blades only, nothing Else
danlaboucane
Posted 12/5/2021 6:48 AM (#999492 - in reply to #999491)
Subject: Re: Question for the Lefthand Reel users

I do use both hands and used a 401 tranx and was very surprised at the ease of retreive , and i am a beast lover !
muskymartin67
Posted 12/5/2021 7:36 AM (#999493 - in reply to #999491)

Thanks for the response Daniel, which Gear ratio do you prefer for using blades as there are 2 available, I would think the lower gear ratio but please let me know as you have actually used it, I guess I should mention this reel will be strictly for blades only and nothing else
North of 8
Posted 12/5/2021 7:54 AM (#999494 - in reply to #999493)

I have a Lexa HD in left hand in the high speed version. I have it on a XXH rod for rubber but just for grins I tossed a Cowgirl with it a few times and was surprised how easily it retrieved. I would think the lower speed reel in the same model would have no problem handling big blades.
kirkkopplin
Posted 12/5/2021 8:14 AM (#999495 - in reply to #999493)

I have:
Revo Toro S 61 5:3:1
Tranx 401 7:6:1
Avet SXJ 6/4 Two speed H - 6.3:1
L - 3.8:1

For just throwing blades I use the Avet. I can switch to the low gear ratio for bigger blades. It does not have a level wind so it takes a little getting used to.

Between the revo and the tranx I would prefer the tranx. Tranx is smoother and if I had to choose one ratio it would be the higher gear ratio for blades. It may take a little more effort, but I prefer that over reeling as fast as I can to burn the blades.
MartinTD
Posted 12/5/2021 11:06 AM (#999498 - in reply to #999491)

Calcutta 401D pulls blades with ease and IMO is the best all around reel for left hand users. Super smooth retrieve and feels great in the palm too.
c44hmusky
Posted 12/5/2021 3:25 PM (#999501 - in reply to #999491)

I use the 13 fishing A3 LH in 6.3:1. I like the size. Very similar to the toro 51. A little taller maybe not as wide. I cannot grip the bigger reels, and have found this one to fit my hand perfectly. Very durable too, i have 2 reels on their 5th season, 1 on its 4th season and another on season 2.
OH Musky
Posted 12/5/2021 4:48 PM (#999504 - in reply to #999491)

I running five Lexa 400Wn's...four in 7:1 and one at 6:1 (I think). The 6:1 I use on Bondy's and rubber. Also have three 300HSL-P's that is use for smaller blades, bass jigs, and crankbaits on my Shimano heavy Sojouns. All left handed as are all my baitcasters. Could never get used to reeling right handed back in the 80's. No sense in changing now.
muskymartin67
Posted 12/5/2021 7:21 PM (#999505 - in reply to #999491)

Thanks for all the replies I do have a concept 13 in the higher gear ratio, I like it for glides and WTD surface baits but not for blades
C44H how are the A3 for the larger bucktails? I would definitely consider that since I do like the size and think the 401 tranx will be just a tad too big for the way I palm my reels
chuckski
Posted 12/5/2021 11:26 PM (#999511 - in reply to #999491)

I'm a righty and can cast both left or right. and use right handed reels. i'll throw in my two cents on reels that come in both left and right handed with I have used. I have and use two Concept 13 A3 reels (6.3:1) gear ratio these work great with bass sized lures and what I call last generation Muskie lures 9" Suicks , regular sized top water, 6"and 8" cranks , single bladed bucktails ECT. I use double paddle handle on both. (does come with a power handle) slightly longer but the knob is too small to take the fatigue off your fingers! I also have Tranx 400 slightly larger both fishes way larger with the power handle. Fished many years with Shimano 400 Calcutta (401 for the lefties) again get the power handle.
Both Shimano 400 reels (with power handles) well get you by if you can't get Tranx 500 in lefty.
And for the record I do fish with a Tranx 500 also. I hope this helps.
danlaboucane
Posted 12/7/2021 6:37 AM (#999535 - in reply to #999493)

muskymartin67 - 12/5/2021 8:36 AM

Thanks for the response Daniel, which Gear ratio do you prefer for using blades as there are 2 available, I would think the lower gear ratio but please let me know as you have actually used it, I guess I should mention this reel will be strictly for blades only and nothing else

the one i used is the HG 7,6 and is the one i would get , you can always slow down like someone said whit big blades if needed
esoxaddict
Posted 12/7/2021 3:16 PM (#999543 - in reply to #999491)

Be careful with gear ratios...

I'm using a Revo Toro Winch (4.3:1 I think) for #10 blades. It makes retrieving them a breeze, BUT: There are times when you need to reel up a lot of line in a hurry. (i.e. when a fish hits out on a cast and swims right at you) You can't reel fast enough to keep the line tight, and slack line = lost fish. To me it's a tradeoff for being able to fish for 8 - 10 hours comfortably.

For #8 blades and smaller I have a regular Revo Toro (5.3:1) that I feel is optimal. The lost fish scenario above is eliminated, and you can get enough speed to blow the blades out of the water if you need to. The downside here is you'll kill yourself if you try to throw double 10's or larger with it.

I use a Revo Beast (6.2:1) for other applications where a high speed reel is more suitable, (not #10 or even #8 blades) and it's great for that. It's also great for any situation where you would use a small single bladed bucktail. (think Musky Killer or a #5 Mepps)

What it comes down to is this: Low gear ratio = more "power" and less effort to reel in anything that creates a lot of resistance, but it comes at the expense of speed. High gear ratio = less "power" and more effort required to reel, but you'll get plenty of speed out of it.

If you really want to, you CAN use a high speed reel for big blades, but the main drive gear and pinion gear will fail prematurely and need to be replaced. If you're cool with that, (not an expensive or difficult repair) go for it. You'll either have Popeye arms or carpal tunnel at the end of the season, maybe both. But it can be done.
c44hmusky
Posted 12/11/2021 8:52 PM (#999599 - in reply to #999505)

muskymartin67 - 12/5/2021 7:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies I do have a concept 13 in the higher gear ratio, I like it for glides and WTD surface baits but not for blades
C44H how are the A3 for the larger bucktails? I would definitely consider that since I do like the size and think the 401 tranx will be just a tad too big for the way I palm my reels

I don't throw really big blades a whole lot. The A3 has been fine for me with double 8s and Ive thrown 9's, but not all day to give you a decent recommendation.
Angling Oracle
Posted 12/12/2021 12:18 PM (#999608 - in reply to #999491)

Revo Beast in 4:9:1 ratio is the reel that fits your needs and is my 10s reel (I'm right-handed). I just reel faster to burn when necessary and worth the trade in being able to throw as many hours in the day as I want and do it again the next without getting worn out. Can easily throw 12s/13s when you need to as well - 8s you don't know if they are turning and 9s barely register. I use the jigging handle which even makes it easier to crank them in and no issues with balance (ie there is the counterweight handle as well but less torque with that one as it is shorter). You are sacrificing line pick-up to get the cranking power so really this is a blade reel and not good for other applications.
RJ_692
Posted 12/13/2021 8:12 AM (#999622 - in reply to #999491)

I have Abus in 5.3 and 6.3 and HS Tranxs. The old standby 5.3 works fine all around as you can spool it up or down, crank slower or faster, put a longer or shorter handle.

Make sure to also think about IPT vs just ratio as there are some differences there with spool sizes as well.

An ABu 51 in a 5.3 with a power handle will handle any bucktail just fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)