Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> trolling solo

Message Subject: trolling solo
chasintails
Posted 10/14/2021 9:23 AM (#996435)
Subject: trolling solo

In states that you can run multiple lines in, when trolling solo do you guys ever run boards? If so, what are your tips for fighting a fish, boat control, taking a board off, and netting a fish on your own. I've trolled solo , but have yet to run boards when doing it. I'd love to hear about your experiences and weather you think its worth it or not.
IAJustin
Posted 10/14/2021 10:07 AM (#996436 - in reply to #996435)
Subject: Re: trolling solo

I can run 3 lines in IA, generally run at least one board when trolling solo, I wrap the line...don't find it too much different than when I have others in the boat...make sure net is extended, release tools are ready and you have a plan when you hook a fish, I keep the boat in gear longer when solo often right up until I'm going to net fish..when I can I'll clear one or ocationally both of the other lines to avoid tangles...I'd much rather cast but have trolled up 100+ solo...the more you do it the better you get.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/14/2021 10:33 AM (#996437 - in reply to #996436)

I run a board with my one line for a couple reasons. I fish solo a lot and I find that when trolling you usually have them hooked pretty good by the time you reach the board. I do my best to take the board off without letting too much slack in the line but sometimes it's impossible. Pretty much just hope they are hooked well enough to not get off. No real science to it.
mikie
Posted 10/14/2021 5:21 PM (#996452 - in reply to #996435)

Ohia allows two lines. By myself, I can handle one off the port side and one in the prop wash. m
ToddM
Posted 10/14/2021 6:46 PM (#996457 - in reply to #996435)

I have run 3 lines by myself using 2.boards.and a down rod. Keeping the boat straight to me is the biggest challenge. I take my boards off even when I have partners in the boat I can control line tension and have a way to do it that makes sure there's no slack. Definitely have the net handle extended and don't take the boat out of gear until you have the board off and if it's windy and lines could tangle until the fish is near the boat.

Edited by ToddM 10/14/2021 6:47 PM
JKahler
Posted 10/21/2021 10:31 PM (#997649 - in reply to #996435)

I run 2 boards and a propwash rod. Trolling motor down and use autopilot or spot lock in current to keep the 2 lines from tangling after netting fish. Pretty much take the board off like mentioned above. In MN I don’t use boards solo unless the fish are really shallow or boat shy.
tenthousandand1
Posted 10/23/2021 10:38 AM (#997693 - in reply to #996435)

Where allowed, I'll troll 3 with 2 boards and a down rod., all with keel weights, no matter the lure. I use the new snap-in clamps on the boards and do 2 wraps around the tailing clamp so I don't lose a board if it comes unsnapped. I keep the trolling motor on 7-8 and use it to steer. I use the handheld remote, not foot pedal because I can steer when bringing lines in and removing boards. I rarely switch off the trolling motor but when I hook a fish, I'll throw the big motor into neutral. This keeps fish pinned and reduces tension but allows me to keep steering. I've hooked a good number on the down rod when I hook a fish on one of the board rods using this "slow but don't stop" maneuver.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/16/2021 8:55 PM (#999152 - in reply to #996435)
Subject: RE: trolling solo

Obviously good advice on keeping the net deployed and release tools handy, I also keep my cell phone clipped to my windshield so I can begin a video. I've lifted some good pictures from the video… not as good quality but better selection. I found that 1 down rod and two boards is typically more productive than 2 down rods and 1 board… but a lot certainly depends on the water you are fishing.

When trolling solo I typically run 2 boards (1 on each side) and 1 down - occasionally will do 3 boards if the bite is tough. I always hit the gas and turned away from the rod after a reel goes off, then maneuver the boat to be going with the wind… always in gear.  If the fish is on a board rod, and I have a down line out, I’ll crank the it up in the holder, then look for an opportunity to clear that rod.

With a 3 board configuration, I sometimes having to make a judgment call if the fish is on the 2 board side and getting close to the other board, sometimes I reel it in - sometimes let it out depending on the circumstance.

Just before removing a board from the line with a fish on, I'll give the motor a touch of gas to help keep the line tight, once the board is off, neutral on the motor and begin maneuvering the fish with the rod in one hand, net handle and bag in the other.

Solo doubleheaders test your prowess as an angler.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Solo jump.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Solo jump.png (4KB - 174 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)