Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> ontario lakes to fish in windy conditions

Message Subject: ontario lakes to fish in windy conditions
Dave T.
Posted 8/24/2021 1:43 PM (#984330)
Subject: ontario lakes to fish in windy conditions

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on lakes or areas of lakes where you can go fish for a week even if the wind is blowing?

seems every time we go up north there are always a few days where i cant even get out on LOTW because of wind/waves...

so might be looking for different lakes/areas to try in upcoming years, and would like some spots that are at least somewhat protected from med to high winds.

thanks!
JZ2386
Posted 8/24/2021 3:43 PM (#984333 - in reply to #984330)
Subject: Re: ontario lakes to fish in windy conditions

I would think the Osbourne Bay area of Eagle would fit the bill. We go the the Portage Bay area and can even find places out of the wind there to fish as well.
Dave T.
Posted 8/24/2021 6:17 PM (#984346 - in reply to #984333)

JZ2386 - 8/24/2021 3:43 PM

I would think the Osbourne Bay area of Eagle would fit the bill. We go the the Portage Bay area and can even find places out of the wind there to fish as well.

thank you sir, what resorts are in that area?
medy
Posted 8/24/2021 10:19 PM (#984354 - in reply to #984330)

Cedar is fishable in the majority of winds. Horseshoe shape means one section is almost always okay even if the rest is blowing up
dickP
Posted 8/25/2021 4:27 AM (#984356 - in reply to #984330)

What type of water?Many choices from crystal to dirty.
ToddM
Posted 8/25/2021 6:47 AM (#984359 - in reply to #984330)

We never had an issue getting out on the west arm of eagle and back then we had 16' naden.bench seat boats with 20hp Johnsons.

I would also think the tamarack resort section not LOTW would be ok.

Edited by ToddM 8/25/2021 6:49 AM
JZ2386
Posted 8/25/2021 8:15 AM (#984366 - in reply to #984359)

We stay at Pine Beach Lodge which is on Portage Bay. Century Lodge is on Osbourne. I believe it is the only one in the area. South Shore Lodge is also an option as you are a short drive north to Portage or a short ride south to Muskeg and Meridian bays along with the numerous islands.

I have a 18 ft aluminum bass boat and I have never been kept off the water in the 13 years I have been going there.
As mentioned Cedar would be a good option. I have fished it and never had rough water. I would think Canyon and Cliff lakes would be good as well since they are smaller lakes as well but I have never fished those waters. Also Indian chain.
Dave T.
Posted 8/25/2021 9:22 AM (#984373 - in reply to #984356)

dickP - 8/25/2021 4:27 AM

What type of water?Many choices from crystal to dirty.

dont really care of the clarity of the water, but i do prefer waters with the chance at a giant.. ive been doing this for awhile, and while numbers are good, i prefer to chase trophies at this stage of the game.

thanks much for the suggestions, i was looking at some of the resorts mentioned above. we stay near morson now, and that area can get rolling with certain wind directions and thats no fun to me in my little 17 foot alumacraft!!
dickP
Posted 8/25/2021 3:41 PM (#984389 - in reply to #984330)

Could consider any of the following.
For clear:Pipestone or Dryberry.
Semi clear:English,Winnipeg or Seine river systems.(each has multiple small lakes in chain)
Dirty or stained:Wabigoon(in wind,pick a shore and spend the day)
All qualify in the 'giant' category.
Dave T.
Posted 8/25/2021 5:43 PM (#984393 - in reply to #984389)

dickP - 8/25/2021 3:41 PM

Could consider any of the following.
For clear:Pipestone or Dryberry.
Semi clear:English,Winnipeg or Seine river systems.(each has multiple small lakes in chain)
Dirty or stained:Wabigoon(in wind,pick a shore and spend the day)
All qualify in the 'giant' category.

thank ya sir, mucho appreciated..

def want to hit pipestone one time soon..
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/26/2021 8:22 AM (#985408 - in reply to #984393)

As you know Tamarack can be very windy, at least getting there and back. Cliff lake looks pretty fun. I'd do a trip there someday.
Dave T.
Posted 8/26/2021 10:46 AM (#985410 - in reply to #984330)

are there any decent map chips for Eagle lake yet? i see there is a new lakemaster, but the reviews are terrible.. :/
medy
Posted 8/26/2021 1:12 PM (#985418 - in reply to #984330)

Map chips are still terrible for Eagle.
Cliff is a fun lake but blows up fairly bad as most of the decent spots aren't sheltered (if staying on the topic of windy fishing)
Dave T.
Posted 8/26/2021 3:09 PM (#985421 - in reply to #985418)

medy - 8/26/2021 1:12 PM

Map chips are still terrible for Eagle.
Cliff is a fun lake but blows up fairly bad as most of the decent spots aren't sheltered (if staying on the topic of windy fishing)

ha yes, sorry. was just thinking about going to Eagle next year

and that stinks, i was looking at that one as well, looked fairly protected, dam big waters!!
RandyT
Posted 8/27/2021 12:01 AM (#985429 - in reply to #984330)

Hi Dave, I have been guiding on Osbourne Bay Eagle Lake for over 25 year and one of the best qualities about fishing there is that is fishable regardless of weather conditions. It is wind protected so on rough days (and it can get rough down there too) you don't have to go far or cross lots of open water to get to excellent spots. Also, if your presented with lots of sun, Osbourne offers tea stained water so fish are more active, less spooky, and more likely to hit on the figure 8 even during blue bird days. It also is the shallower end of the lake so fish can't go deep and suspend. They are always in castable depths and if you love topwater, Osbourne is the place to fish (in my opinion and I am a little biased but it makes sense). And JZ2386 is correct, Century Lodge is the only lodge on the SE end of the lake as well which is nice because there is a physical distance between them and the other lodges on Eagle. Message me if you have any specific questions if I can help any further.
Dave T.
Posted 8/27/2021 7:52 AM (#985430 - in reply to #985429)

RandyT - 8/27/2021 12:01 AM

Hi Dave, I have been guiding on Osbourne Bay Eagle Lake for over 25 year and one of the best qualities about fishing there is that is fishable regardless of weather conditions. It is wind protected so on rough days (and it can get rough down there too) you don't have to go far or cross lots of open water to get to excellent spots. Also, if your presented with lots of sun, Osbourne offers tea stained water so fish are more active, less spooky, and more likely to hit on the figure 8 even during blue bird days. It also is the shallower end of the lake so fish can't go deep and suspend. They are always in castable depths and if you love topwater, Osbourne is the place to fish (in my opinion and I am a little biased but it makes sense). And JZ2386 is correct, Century Lodge is the only lodge on the SE end of the lake as well which is nice because there is a physical distance between them and the other lodges on Eagle. Message me if you have any specific questions if I can help any further.

oh sweet, i had heard there is a good topwater bite in that section of the lake, i guess the shallow water explains that! i'll shoot you a message. thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)