Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?

Message Subject: Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?
Lumberjack
Posted 8/13/2021 7:52 PM (#984079)
Subject: Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?

Grabbing a 200 sized reel for smaller baits on a 7' MH. I already have a 400HG tranx on a heavy chaos. What's the verdict between the curado and the tranx? With the tranx are you just paying for the core protect and the extra .7 ounces? Opinions? $45 Canuck dollar difference

HG? XG? What speed makes the most sense?
Muskyrookie
Posted 8/14/2021 4:10 AM (#984083 - in reply to #984079)
Subject: RE: Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?

I'm not sure what size line you plan on using or how much more the 200 size will hold than the slx, but I picked up a slx for a frogging setup for bass and put 65lb on it. When I took that out on its maiden voyage I was pretty much casting down to the backing. It didn't hold much heavy line at all was like 55 yds. I immediately went out and picked up a lews super duty which holds quite a bit more line and has a stronger drag. Others should chime in but I use a 300 size reel as my lighter setups, it has alot more capacity and stronger drag ( you won't be horsing in any musky with a light setup and for casting distance ) . As far as the speed, better off picking up the highest speed you can find. None of those little lures have heavy pull you can always slow down your retrieve.
ToddM
Posted 8/14/2021 7:33 AM (#984084 - in reply to #984079)
Subject: RE: Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?

What kind of medium heavy rod? A 200 size I would put on a bass flippin stick. A 300 would be more liking to a MH if we are comparing to a St Croix rod. I take it the 7' is an old rod you wish to repurpose? My suggestion would be to get a long rod in that weight to go with the new reel.
IAJustin
Posted 8/14/2021 8:07 AM (#984085 - in reply to #984084)
Subject: Re: Downsized reel tranx? Curado? HG? XG?

So do you have a MH bass rod? MH doesn’t really tell much, ha! A tranx 400 is a small muskie reel. Throws 65lb braid great, along with 3/4 ounce lures on a mh muskie rod… unless you are fishing a lake full of muskie less than 36” I’d recommend to get another 400 tranx , the 5.1 has lots of uses….if you have a bass rod that plan to throw husky jerk sized stuff.. and multi-species then a 200 size reel makes sense … there are a ton of great bass reels
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/14/2021 8:49 AM (#984086 - in reply to #984079)

I have a couple of Daiwa 300 Tatulas that I really love. I use them for large bass & striper swimbaits, or small muskie lures to about 4 oz. They hold plenty of 65# braid, I have them on heavy bass swimbait rods. From what I can see, the new ProRex (such a great muskie reel) is just a 400 size version of this reel.
Lumberjack
Posted 8/14/2021 1:46 PM (#984094 - in reply to #984079)

Apreciate the replies

Mh 7' fenwick hmg so more of a pike sized rod. I'm honestly in pike waters more often so most of my gear is downsized For pike. I'm just spooling lighter braid for pike waters on this rod So im not worried about capacity.
CincySkeez
Posted 8/14/2021 3:41 PM (#984096 - in reply to #984079)

300 Size Okuma Komodo, thats what i run for my topwater setup and its just big enough to handle 100lb power pro
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)