Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lots of Boat upgrade questions

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lots of Boat upgrade questions
ponylou
Posted 7/31/2021 4:22 PM (#982755)
Subject: Lots of Boat upgrade questions

Hoping for some advice on a couple upgrades.

I'm going to upgrade to an Ulterra and link that with my Solix 12, thinking of getting the side imaging as it seems more useful to have info from the front of the boat vs my current transom transducer, or can you use both side imaging transducers?

I also want a Talon but will only be able to run a single, does anyone do this and how does spot lock work when it's down?

Does anyone have a hardwired pump in the boat for an aerator? Other than for suckers I'd rather not dump them into the livewell, but thinking it'd be useful to have one wired in?

I'm located in Antioch, and I need a recommendation for a boat dealer to service my mercury and help with this and some other rigging this winter. I had used skipper buds in the past, but my contact left and nobody has returned an email or phone cal in months.

Thank you very much!
TCESOX
Posted 7/31/2021 5:09 PM (#982756 - in reply to #982755)
Subject: Re: Lots of Boat upgrade questions

I just networked an Ulterra with my two Helix units, a few weeks ago. I was going to pay to have it installed, just because I didn't want to take the time, but my preferred shop was way too busy, so I did it myself. Glad I did, as it wasn't difficult and saved some money. I got the down imaging one, because I wasn't sure how well the side imaging would work with the trolling motor turning back and forth. Once networked, you can pick whatever transducer you want, on the network, for each type of imaging. On the bow unit, I pick the transom ducer for side imaging, and the trolling motor ducer for down imaging and 2D. On the helm unit, I use the trolling motor ducer for down imaging, and the transom ducer for side imaging and 2D. Spot lock may reduce your urgency to get a Talon. I still might get one if I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, but with spot lock, I'm not nearly as eager for it, as I was prior. Would assume spot lock would keep you from swinging around on one Talon, if that's what you are referring to, as it seems to work like a charm when not pinned down at all.

Edited by TCESOX 7/31/2021 5:12 PM
North of 8
Posted 7/31/2021 10:12 PM (#982761 - in reply to #982756)

I upgraded the Ulterra this year with a Helix Mega SI/DI. The SI is very sharp and clear. But, you do need to remember the image depends on the direction the trolling motor is pointed. The screen on the Helix will show a subtle line when the direction is changed. Takes a bit of getting used to but I do use it and find it helpful.
Really like the Ulterra but I upgraded from a 15 year old power drive, so it is a lot bigger upgrade than someone who upgraded from a Terrova for example.
Paul S
Posted 8/6/2021 7:33 PM (#982910 - in reply to #982755)

Hi Pony.
I have a single Talon. I don't use it that often with spot-lock. It is very handy at the dock or if I am retying or just taking a break. I use spot-lock alone much more frequently than the Talon for fishing since I don't hold position that long in any one place. Plus, my Talon is a 12'er so depth limits how often I use it. Usually, if I am using my Talon to hold my spot for fishing, I will play the wind so when the boat swings around (1 Talon), I will be in the correct position. I do this more often than put the Talon down and then using spot-lock to keep the bow locked in one spot. While the Talon is handy, if I was buying a boat and needed to watch the bottom line, it would be one of the first things I didn't add. Before spot-lock I used my Talon much more often and except for holding the boat at the dock, spot-lock can do anything a Talon can. Hope it helps.
tolle141
Posted 8/16/2021 9:47 PM (#984144 - in reply to #982755)

i run a helix on the bow and one on the console. they're linked, and I pull my SI signal off the transom as adjust my direction a lot. works pretty well. only time i really wish i pulled off the front is for that early sand bite, but im going to just hold out for whenever humminbird decides to do a 360 mega live (just imagine...)
jlooney
Posted 10/27/2021 9:41 PM (#997794 - in reply to #982755)
Subject: RE: Lots of Boat upgrade questions

I run SI on my bow Solix via a Mega 360 connected with a cornfield crappie mount. I get my 2D/DI at the bow from a XTM 14 HW MDI T SOLIX MEGA DI+ Dual Spectrum Trolling Motor Transducer. You can view any of the sources on either of my Solix units since they are networked via ethernet / one boat network so at the helm I can flip from the transom or TM transducers as needed.

Regarding air filtration for your livewell, I put in Zamco low profile aerators and they've been amazing. They suction cup in so they can be temporary - just need a 12v power connection. (I went ahead and hard wired mine in because there was no need to ever remove them).

https://zamcofilters.com/

VMS
Posted 10/28/2021 9:18 AM (#997796 - in reply to #982755)

Hiya!!

For the Aerator, I could see installing a cigarette lighter adaptor close to where you'd put your cooler/sucker tank, and then use an aerator that you could plug into, and circulate your water.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Motorcycle-Receptacle-Waterproof-ZH...

Nice thing here is when you are not using suckers, the plug is flush to whatever surface you can mount it to and is a nice clean look when not in use. I installed one so I could plug in a bluetooth adapter for me to listen to my downloaded phone music, podcasts, etc through the stereo speakers using an FM dial setting.

Edited by VMS 10/28/2021 9:20 AM
sworrall
Posted 10/31/2021 9:25 AM (#997828 - in reply to #982755)
Subject: RE: Lots of Boat upgrade questions

ponylou - 7/31/2021 4:22 PM

Hoping for some advice on a couple upgrades.

I'm going to upgrade to an Ulterra and link that with my Solix 12, thinking of getting the side imaging as it seems more useful to have info from the front of the boat vs my current transom transducer, or can you use both side imaging transducers?

I also want a Talon but will only be able to run a single, does anyone do this and how does spot lock work when it's down?

I have one Talon, and use it all the time. Since the Talon is down, spot lock is not needed. If you want to keep the boat facing a particular direction, just set the direction and speed on the bow mount and forget it. The big thing is my boat's safety from dock rash and dings no matter the conditions, I lock down the Talon at the dock and it keeps the boat away nicely. 3 years on the ride and zero dock rash.

I have a Mega 360 on a Helix Mega 10 at the bow, so no need for a SI there for me. I have an Ultrex, because of the rapid adjustment and pedal, just my preference. That's the one thing I would not separate with, I really like that transducer and motor for the way I fish.

Does anyone have a hardwired pump in the boat for an aerator? Other than for suckers I'd rather not dump them into the livewell, but thinking it'd be useful to have one wired in?

Not clear on what you mean here. There are lots of 12 volt plug in aerators and nearly as many ways to power one in a boat.

I'm located in Antioch, and I need a recommendation for a boat dealer to service my mercury and help with this and some other rigging this winter. I had used skipper buds in the past, but my contact left and nobody has returned an email or phone call in months.

Thank you very much!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)