Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Custom glides for shallow rivers

Message Subject: Custom glides for shallow rivers
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 7/29/2021 3:24 PM (#982704)
Subject: Custom glides for shallow rivers

I know there's a different million answers I'll get here, but what are some good custom glides for shallow water and slow current? I prefer smaller baits also, nothing over 8" in my boxes lol. Thinking about picking up some mcglides, and beauzookas. Thanks!
TCESOX
Posted 7/29/2021 7:11 PM (#982707 - in reply to #982704)
Subject: Re: Custom glides for shallow rivers

Check with muskyroller in the basement baits. He might have something that is what you're looking for. That's basically what he does.
ToddM
Posted 7/30/2021 11:51 AM (#982716 - in reply to #982704)

Just curious why does it have to be an expensive custom glider? I would throw a small squirrelly heckhound in the situation you describe
MuskyMaciek
Posted 7/30/2021 4:10 PM (#982723 - in reply to #982716)

ToddM - 7/30/2021 11:51 AM

Just curious why does it have to be an expensive custom glider? I would throw a small squirrelly heckhound in the situation you describe

Squirrely Hellhound is the most underrated glide bait . Easy to work and gets the job done
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 7/30/2021 7:50 PM (#982734 - in reply to #982723)

My river is usually no deeper than 1-3 feet, very few holes at about 5-6 feet deep. Hellhounds sink too fast, I have a few and I like em when I'm fishing the lake. The other part of the river, which I don't fish often is deeper. Custom glides are just cooler lol and often better for my situation.
Muskyrookie
Posted 7/30/2021 11:39 PM (#982735 - in reply to #982734)

If you are looking for baits to toss in that super shallow water you might want to look into the shad shaped baits instead of the stick shaped. They seem to stay more towards the surface and from the ones I've seen they don't have that nose dive that others have that will dive and wedge right under a rock or snag lumber. You also must realize that in that water depth you don't get to work the bait how YOU might want to, the depth dictates that part of it, that's something I've been adjusting to myself bringing baits from deeper to shallow. If you insist on that type of bait you might want to get some topwater walk the dog baits, at least they float! If that is the depth all the way across bank to bank gliders might not be your best option. Getting $50 baits snagged up isn't a winning proposition!
FishinXtreme
Posted 7/31/2021 7:43 AM (#982739 - in reply to #982704)

Small sized Warlock from Bitten Tackle. If you bend the mental fin right you can get it to run just inches under the water.
ToddM
Posted 7/31/2021 9:55 AM (#982745 - in reply to #982704)

Shallow manta would work, so would the finned glider that salmo makes and the rapala sub walk. Gliders that are wide will displace more water and sink slower as well. Once you believe you need an expensive custom bait to catch fish the lures are hooking you not the fish.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 7/31/2021 2:16 PM (#982751 - in reply to #982745)

Well phantoms tend to have too much up and down during glides but I'm a big fan of them, considering that's what my only tiger has been caught on so far. I don't think I absolutely need customs it's just the fact that I swim for my phantoms and hellhounds so much that it gets to be annoying. I just need baits that run really shallow and phantoms and hellhounds don't do that super well.
ToddM
Posted 7/31/2021 2:32 PM (#982752 - in reply to #982704)

I think you will like this bait. Has the heckhound fins and stays just under the surface.
"Sweeper - A new generation of glide baits" https://www.salmousa.com/home/shop-4-lures/sweeper
mm3
Posted 8/6/2021 2:26 PM (#982896 - in reply to #982752)

Shallow or deep, I like my glidders with a beddy roll.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)