Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling with softer rods ?

Message Subject: Trolling with softer rods ?
danlaboucane
Posted 7/25/2021 12:49 PM (#982579)
Subject: Trolling with softer rods ?

Can trolling with softer rods like fiberglass absorb some of the action of the lure ?
A friend /fishing partner said that about my heavy/fiberglass rod i use for musky , he is a very good musky fisherman and makes great musky lures too .
can a stiffer rod change or let the lure move more ?
jdsplasher
Posted 7/25/2021 1:18 PM (#982582 - in reply to #982579)
Subject: RE: Trolling with softer rods ?

The softer tip has the ability to hold the fish pinned. But, too much whip will also allow a big fish to create slack. 
Too stiff flexes less and will result in lost fish along with line breakage, and hooks bending out.

The Eglass rod blanks R what I use. Rod builders will have the knowledge and expertise on the fish targeted and adjust action accordingly. Also the size lures used also comes into play as far as action goes.

Also, the flexibility of a softer rod will add to the action of the baits as wind and waves alter movements..

For Me, I troll with nothing shorter Than 8’6”. Longer rods absorb the big head shakes Better from Big Fish.

I know Thornes builds nice eglass trolling rods. Here in SE, WI. There are a few custom builders I use.

JD
ToddM
Posted 7/25/2021 3:25 PM (#982586 - in reply to #982579)
Subject: Re: Trolling with softer rods ?

I prefer fiberglass rods with braid. I know what you are getting at with a stiff rod, boat movement which would also need braid to work out. Those using giant baits and hooks like it all stiff and the drag locked. If you are fishing 4-8" baits you wont. I use the Berkeley Big Game and the box power plus boat rod. Perfect trolling rods.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 7/25/2021 3:55 PM (#982587 - in reply to #982579)

There are a lot of variables here. I've compared the action of identical lures on a soft fiberglass rod, and a faster graphite rod, and found the softer rod allowed the lure to kick out further and harder. Might depend on the lure, speed, line type etc.

As far as keeping fish pinned.. I've always said; Fiberglass rod/mono/ a perfectly adjusted drag. Pick two.
danlaboucane
Posted 7/25/2021 6:24 PM (#982588 - in reply to #982587)

Thanks guys , i did not agree with my friend and thought a flexible rod would maybe let the lure move more , the rod i use is a cabelas innerline they sold a long time ago (pretty much indestructible and very sensible for fiberglass ) i have an 7,6 MH i use for lighter trolling (walleye) and love it . i do use braid .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)