Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Custom rods

Message Subject: Custom rods
muskieman56
Posted 7/24/2021 9:04 PM (#982566)
Subject: Custom rods

Just looking for ideas at who builds the best custom rods
Any info would be great
Thanks
muskymartin67
Posted 7/25/2021 6:43 AM (#982567 - in reply to #982566)
Subject: Re: Custom rods

There's many excellent rod builders out there, the question is which one you will choose based on your needs and budget, it's like asking who makes the best truck, many will say Chevy, others will say Ford plenty will say Toyota, and some may like Dodge, same discussion has been held on here about reels, replicas and many other things and there has never been a one uniform answer on the subject, but if I were to have a custom rod built it would probably be from Frank's rods, great guy and a pleasure to work with!
RyanJoz
Posted 7/25/2021 10:07 AM (#982573 - in reply to #982567)

I have had excellent results with Thorne bros predator rods. Lonnie runs a great shop.
vegas492
Posted 7/27/2021 8:16 AM (#982639 - in reply to #982566)

I have two Elk River rods. 9 footers. XH. Very, very good rod. Totally worth the money.
Rotorhead
Posted 7/27/2021 11:59 AM (#982648 - in reply to #982566)

A lot of individuals make muskie rods as do I and probably most are very well made and I might add, better than many commercial rods. You can go with an individual, small company, or a more well known name like Thorne or Elk River. Assuming the quality of work is there, it depends a lot on the blank rod builders use. There no industry standard on power and action so it will vary proportionally within a rod blank manufacturer's power/action choices but only very generally between manufacturers. One's heavy power/fast action, can be more medium heavy/medium fast action. I use MHX, but there are many brands and like reels, people get pretty opinionated on which is best. MHX is less well known, but very high quality and that's all I use now for my fishing. Then, there is the truly custom work you're looking for in terms of building the handle, choice of guides, guide thread colors and decorative art that can be added. Muskieman 56, where are you located? PM me if you have any questions or want photos of my work.
Conservation Guy
Posted 7/27/2021 2:50 PM (#982649 - in reply to #982566)
Subject: RE: Custom rods

https://ktproedge.com/
M Ruff
Posted 7/28/2021 10:12 AM (#982676 - in reply to #982566)

Not sure if they would do a custom, but might be worth looking at their line of rods. (The original Thorne Bros).
https://twobrothersinnovations.com/
chuckski
Posted 7/28/2021 10:51 PM (#982685 - in reply to #982566)

I have a Thorne Brothers rod 9ft. XX heavy , Was not a custom rod for me just called a head and said I being passing thru and looking for a 9ft. XX what are my chances of having one in stock? I was told will try to have one since we know your coming (I was coming from Colorado heading to northern MN. ) Got there bought the rod and made the mistake of not checking on the reel I wanted. Wanted and later got Tranx 500 PG they only had a HG. So fished this one trip with old reel. This is a big heavy rod for big baits. The rod I use the most is a Cabela's 8 ft. I found in the bargain for 65 bucks I had 35 bucks in points from my credit so I walked out with a 30 dollar rod. Works great!
Topwater
Posted 8/8/2021 6:38 PM (#982948 - in reply to #982566)

Check out Kraemer Custom Rods. Very high quality and he stands behind his product.
BNelson
Posted 8/8/2021 7:23 PM (#982951 - in reply to #982948)

Ive had Bob Avery make me 3 in the last year and they are the best Ive owned.
[email protected]
upnortdave
Posted 8/11/2021 1:59 PM (#983031 - in reply to #982951)

Bob ( Cedar on this site ) has built me 2. Does an outstanding job.
Rotorhead
Posted 8/11/2021 2:57 PM (#983032 - in reply to #982566)

It may be helpful to add the manufacturer of the rod blank used by the custom rod builders in this discussion. While all or most custom rods are built with high quality, the performance of those rods will vary just as much as the differences between the well-known commercial rod brands. There is no industry standard for power and action except to compare those values within the same brand. One manufacturer's medium heavy power may be the next manufacturer's heavy or extra heavy in a side-by-side comparison. While I use the MHX muskie series for building muskie rods, other blank manufacturers used by custom rod makers for muskie include Thrasher, Tackle Industries, Batson, St Croix, Lamiglas, RainShadow, and several others. Some are higher quality/price than others and some have characteristics that are more important so some anglers than others. For that reason, It would be useful in this discussion to include the blank manufacturer used by the custom builder as well as how you like the performance of the rod when fishing for muskies. That would be as important as discussing performance preferences between commercial rods because there are a lot of strong opinions about what brand is best on these forums.
pklingen
Posted 8/11/2021 6:09 PM (#983041 - in reply to #982566)

i'm love elk river rods. but unless your in a speedee delivery area it can be painful.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/12/2021 9:58 AM (#984053 - in reply to #982566)

Yogi or Elk River are probably some of the best out there. They do some great work for sure! They also both have the new Outdoor Grips reel seats.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)