Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bulldog repair

Message Subject: Bulldog repair
Smell_Esox
Posted 7/1/2021 8:21 AM (#982016)
Subject: Bulldog repair

Caught a couple nice pike on a bulldog and now it's all slashed up. What is the best way to repair? I used to just try to weld them back together but wonder if there's a better way.
Softwater
Posted 7/1/2021 9:08 AM (#982020 - in reply to #982016)
Subject: Re: Bulldog repair

A regular lighter always worked for me. Heat till they start burning, then hold them together for a couple of seconds till it cools. Just make sure they're dry before trying to do the "melt" repair. I heard from Lee Tauchen at a seminar that they would swap whole tails to make new color combos (or just repair the "magic lure" color for the day that kept having all the action) that way with very few failures. They make a mending adhesive that works great too, but a lighter is quick and cheap.
miket55
Posted 7/1/2021 9:27 AM (#982022 - in reply to #982016)

Work "Mend-it" into the cuts, one area at a time, gently squeeze for a couple minutes, and move on to the next area. Keep the top on the bottle as much as possible, as the stuff does dry up quickly. Much neater than heat IMO..

Heating up an old knife blade also works for cuts, and slashes, while also keeping discoloration to a minimum.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/1/2021 11:10 AM (#982024 - in reply to #982022)

+2 for mend it. I also use a heat gun for larger areas. doesn't burn as much as a torch/lighter but allows for better repairs as well.

mend it in the boat, both when in the garage.
Chemi
Posted 7/1/2021 12:29 PM (#982028 - in reply to #982016)

If you feel you want a little more control in healing those tooth slashes, try heating the tip of an old butter knife with a Bic and then use the knife tip to melt the inside of the slash. Once you feel the plastic liquify, pull the knife out and squeeze the slit closed for a minute until it hardens again.
acquaman
Posted 7/2/2021 1:05 PM (#982053 - in reply to #982016)
Subject: RE: Bulldog repair

Buy a cheap soldering iron. Hands down the best tool for the job. Just hold the tear together and run the tip of the soldering iron down the cut. Perfect repairs every time.
monsterlures
Posted 7/3/2021 11:41 AM (#982065 - in reply to #982016)

I find mend it or something similar to be the best option for repairng soft lures.

When using heat, you always burn away a certain amount of plastic. Eventually you will burn up so much of it that you wont be able patch the lure back to its original shape.
mcnewbski
Posted 7/3/2021 1:40 PM (#982067 - in reply to #982016)

The hot knife method mentioned above works really well, better than just a lighter alone IMO. Here's a video that demonstrates it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4bcC525rQ
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)