Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Message Subject: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?
sworrall
Posted 5/30/2021 10:06 AM (#980336 - in reply to #980318)
Subject: Re: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

ToddM - 5/29/2021 3:01 PM

sworrall - 5/28/2021 8:48 PM

I have my timeline reflecting what I want to see, so I'm not seeing much of that on the Book of Faces. What I do see is a good amount of folks preaching conservation, so there is, as usual, a balance of sorts. All the self-appointed YouTuber fishing-stars lined up in a row would not come close to our daily unique user base here, so I think we are OK, but as always, there's work to do..

I am literally getting ripped as I type this for posting the regs for snagging in Fibland for someone posting an illegally snagged fish on his snagging rod.

Have to remember that's a select few people yelling at you. You are in the right, so post and leave, never looking back is my tactic. The rest of the folks know. Hard to do, but I have learned from 20 years moderating here it works and gets the desired results.

Another question, those of you who started muskie fishing in the mid '90s (so probably around 35 or more years old)...what would you have known about the sport if it was not for electronic communication?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 5/30/2021 5:14 PM (#980356 - in reply to #980147)

If it's good for the fisherman personally it seems they like it, if it hurts them seems they hate it.

Who knew?
RJ_692
Posted 6/1/2021 7:28 AM (#980367 - in reply to #980336)

sworrall - 5/30/2021 10:06 AM
Another question, those of you who started muskie fishing in the mid '90s (so probably around 35 or more years old)...what would you have known about the sport if it was not for electronic communication?

For me i don't think it would have changed all that much. I still fish most of the same lakes with similar baits (or now mostly home made versions of). Still have a boat with an in dash flasher lol.

We would have still gotten info from print media it would have just been slower.

true tiger tamer
Posted 6/1/2021 8:02 PM (#980378 - in reply to #980147)

It is good if posters are smart about what they post. Too many get excited about a nice catch and post too much information, thus blowing up "There" spot.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/3/2021 2:53 PM (#980402 - in reply to #980147)

I remember some years back someone posted a picture of a fish, (not a very big one at that) and in the background was a very distinct house that I recognized immediately. I replied "hey, I know that spot!" His response: "No you don't!" It led to a few PM's back and forth with this guy telling me I couldn't possibly know where it was or what lake it was, etc. And of course, telling me to keep it quiet like it was some sort of secret once he realized that I know exactly where it was. If you don't want your spot "blown up", wouldn't you just take the picture without the most obvious house in the background?

I had another guy say "don't tell anyone where I caught it!" after me showing a picture of a Yahara Chain fish that clearly showed the capitol building and the convention center in the background.
Dave T.
Posted 6/4/2021 10:44 AM (#980410 - in reply to #980402)

esoxaddict - 6/3/2021 2:53 PM

I remember some years back someone posted a picture of a fish, (not a very big one at that) and in the background was a very distinct house that I recognized immediately. I replied "hey, I know that spot!" His response: "No you don't!" It led to a few PM's back and forth with this guy telling me I couldn't possibly know where it was or what lake it was, etc. And of course, telling me to keep it quiet like it was some sort of secret once he realized that I know exactly where it was. If you don't want your spot "blown up", wouldn't you just take the picture without the most obvious house in the background?

I had another guy say "don't tell anyone where I caught it!" after me showing a picture of a Yahara Chain fish that clearly showed the capitol building and the convention center in the background.

yep, i dont care if people come and fish local lakes by me, its a free world, but personally i wouldnt go up to their areas and fish small local lakes and make 4 frickin videos just so they can sell a few baits that they make.. at least im guessing thats why they are doing it.. just seems disrespectful to me... what can ya do.. now the closest musky lake to me is over loaded and will be over fished..

oh well..

Edited by Dave T. 6/4/2021 10:46 AM
Esox Chaos
Posted 6/9/2021 11:29 AM (#980502 - in reply to #980147)

The internet has been around for over 20 years now!! Has GoPros really changed the fishing pressure on your favorite lake much??? People are going to musky fish whether they see it on YouTube or not!! Some places, especially creeks and rivers should go nameless and maybe not even be filmed in certain spots that might be obvious. Yet, for most lakes that are public, someone else has fished that spot before you found it!! There tons of info out there and anglers are smarter and better equipped!

Frankly if an idiot mishanldes a musky it's because he is an idiot and not because he bought a $350 GoPro. I film my fishing expeditions, but I always put the fish first!!
Dave T.
Posted 6/13/2021 8:45 AM (#980594 - in reply to #980502)

Esox Chaos - 6/9/2021 11:29 AM

The internet has been around for over 20 years now!! Has GoPros really changed the fishing pressure on your favorite lake much??? People are going to musky fish whether they see it on YouTube or not!! Some places, especially creeks and rivers should go nameless and maybe not even be filmed in certain spots that might be obvious. Yet, for most lakes that are public, someone else has fished that spot before you found it!! There tons of info out there and anglers are smarter and better equipped!

Frankly if an idiot mishanldes a musky it's because he is an idiot and not because he bought a $350 GoPro. I film my fishing expeditions, but I always put the fish first!!

most definitely! im not talking minnesota sized lakes, these lakes are a couple hundred acres or less in some cases, so yes, it has made an impact on them for sure.. the pressure would have come eventually more than likely, but this brings it over night! but again, they are public so guys will get their likes and subscribers.. because thats why they are doing it, but thats just how it is nowadays.. hoping the peak is here and some will give it up when they realize its not that easy to catch em..
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/21/2021 8:15 AM (#982453 - in reply to #980147)

Being a old guy (65) I know plenty of guys who have never posted a fish of any size or species online. Maybe they never have caught a fish or maybe they don't have a ego that screams "hey look at me".
raftman
Posted 7/21/2021 9:32 AM (#982456 - in reply to #980147)

cdubs - 7/21/2021 7:39 AM

I agree, Youtube is kicking the crap out of our small lakes in Northern Wisconsin. With the border Pete Maina is filming all over the place and not hiding anything, actually showing drone footage of boat landings and other very distinctive landmarks. Today's Angler does the same thing only he is following the guides around and then filming his shows. I understand that it is everyone's right to the water, but when someone drives by and see's a truck at the landing all painted up they're going to look into it. If someone see's a bunch of go pro's and someone in a big nice boat filming, they're going to look into it and see how they did, why they were there, how they fished the spots and what they encountered. I admit, I watch some of these shows just to pick out landmarks and possibly add a spot or two to the arsenal. You multiply my actions by the 80,000 viewers some of these guys have and you get overwhelming traffic on 400-1000 acre lakes that can't handle it. Not only do these fish come extremely conditioned, they are almost certainly getting handled way more than ever before. I have a place on a small lake that in one season Team Rhino, Pete Maina and Today's angler all did shows. This lake is less than 800 acres and very easy to determine where they are in all three shows. The amount of guys out there chucking baits the rest of the season was insane! Literally boats waiting in line for other boats to finish a spot so they could fish it. Youtubers need to stick to the big lakes.

Can’t have it both ways. If you are going to use you tube to gather information for yourself to catch fish then they are just filling a demand you are helping create. It’s not on them to limit the information their viewers want based on lakes being big vs small or popular vs unknown local honey hole.
cdubs
Posted 7/21/2021 10:10 AM (#982463 - in reply to #982456)

And I am 100% fine with not using it for information. As a matter of fact, I would rather it not be there to look at. It has gotten to the point on these small waters that a guy doesn't want to fish because there are so many other guys out there. I will tell you flat out those of us who are having success, are not fishing similar to other guys so the fear of giving up techniques and location is real.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/22/2021 12:39 PM (#982522 - in reply to #980147)

I like to watch You Tube videos and count how many times the person filming should have lost the fish.
killdeer
Posted 7/22/2021 6:06 PM (#982528 - in reply to #980147)

The only bad I’ve seen out of internet and YouTube musky fishing is excessive fish handling and this over emphasis on measuring fish . Now don’t get me wrong I have plenty of grip and grin shots hanging on walls. But other than a few , and maina is one, preach proper handling and releases. For those of us that have seen the progression of the sport from infancy today’s available material is astounding. The information available at your fingertips is mind boggling! But it’s up to us to preserve it and teach those new to it to respect it . Plus who wants to catch walleye or bass anyway? Now if bluegill grew to 30 pounds………..
chimes_ts
Posted 7/27/2021 10:22 PM (#982664 - in reply to #980147)

My opinion is....thanks to youtubers who also share their location since we get to visit them but yeah it just sucks for veteran who found those locations first.
ToddM
Posted 10/4/2021 1:04 PM (#996236 - in reply to #980147)

Based on a YouTube video I watched yesterday, there's about to be another gold rush.
cdubs
Posted 10/6/2021 10:29 AM (#996285 - in reply to #980147)

I don't care if Doug Wegner wants to post video on Green Bay or Lake of The Woods, they are enormous bodies of water where land marks are difficult to pick out. I have a tremendous problem with Pete Maina flying a drone over very easily identified boat landings and lakes because he doesn't give a crap and is only fishing his local water because of covid. Why does he care if these lakes are so crowded on a Saturday that a guy can't fish but one spot before he entire lake is literally pounded, he doesn't intend to keep fishing them. And people are driving great distances to fish these lakes once they have figured out what lakes in his area they are via google earth. Same with Today's Angler, Robbie is doing very little work on his own and continuously shows boat landings, road signs and distinct buoy markers around small bodies of water. Basically boils down to a lack of respect in my opinion. I understand that these are public waters, but there is also a certain amount of stocking and conservation done by Lake owners/clubs and they should get the respect to not have these lakes blown up on Youtube.

Edited by cdubs 10/6/2021 10:30 AM
Yep
Posted 10/6/2021 11:03 AM (#996286 - in reply to #980147)
Subject: RE: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

We are all on this website/internet saying it's good/bad for fishing. Kinda Ironic - Always set the hook twice/hard in the muskies mouth-with 8/0 trebles. Make sure the hooks are incredibly sharp to penetrate the jaw. Please handle them with care. Yes, we're all weird-- all of us TK
Slamr
Posted 10/6/2021 2:24 PM (#996291 - in reply to #996286)

If youtube is so influential.a. why do I still have to work? and b. why don't more of you throw suicks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKORJZBm5I

Personally, I see the internet/youtube/social media as a double edge sword for muskies. Without it, muskie fishing wouldnt be spreding like it is. Less gear specific, less bait companies, less info. With it more muskie anglers.
sworrall
Posted 10/6/2021 9:34 PM (#996301 - in reply to #980147)

Just in case some of you forgot, we do still have posting permissions that prohibit mean-spirited and otherwise attack-oriented posts. Just don't do it.

Slopski
Posted 10/7/2021 10:01 AM (#996310 - in reply to #980147)

If the entire musky fishing industry collapses and all the specific musky gear goes with it i think we'd still be just fine using all the inshore salt water stuff we used to use. I guess I could see the stocking argument if somebody could convince me without stocking muskies they would face extinction. However my guess is without stocking muskies yearly the numbers would fall for awhile. Years maybe decades i don't know for sure. A lot of people would get discouraged and quit, then naturally the numbers would rebound as the fishing pressure subsided.

I think the industry gives it's self a little to much credit. I also think we give YouTube and social media to much credit for their influence. Just one mans opinion though.
cdubs
Posted 10/7/2021 12:57 PM (#996312 - in reply to #980147)

I will tell you that without stocking in my area of Hayward, WI, the numbers would look a lot like it's not worth targeting them anymore. There is little to absolutely no reproduction in the natural lakes. And that goes for walleyes as well. The only places I would really give reproduction a chance is the river systems in the area and most of them are stocked as well. And you look at these youtubers viewing stats. They have 60k viewers, guarantee virtually all of the musky guys in the country have tuned in at one time or another.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2021 2:12 PM (#996314 - in reply to #996312)

That's the problem right there. Due to a number of factors, natural reproduction simply does not happen in most of the places we fish. It's stocked fish or no fish at all. Eliminate the stocked fish, and the lakes that are left would not last long once the great unwashed public had nowhere else to fish. Add in climate change which looks to be harming recruitment of many species, and it wouldn't take long before muskies became something you used to be able to catch back in the day.

We've proven time and time again that if you give humans a chance to wreck something, wreck it they will. Does the internet contribute to that? Sure it does. It's probably offset by the promotion of C&R and proper handling techniques, though. Wasn't that long ago that it was common practice to clobber everything you caught. I remember those days. The fishing wasn't great.
sworrall
Posted 10/11/2021 9:06 AM (#996371 - in reply to #980147)

As with anything, stats are confusing. The number of times a video is viewed is what's important on YouTube and Facebook. It's enough either way for sure, but hollering at someone for shooting a video will get you exactly nowhere. One point, muskie anglers will be fishing somewhere anyway, and it will not always be where you are unless it's a known 'destination'.

One mitigating factor is Muskies Inc and the stocking and research they are getting done. We'll know soon what the warm water release study out East shows, and stocking is ongoing in many areas. Support your local Chapter's efforts at conservation and stocking.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)