Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Solid colored crankbaits

Message Subject: Solid colored crankbaits
joh10891
Posted 3/14/2021 8:26 AM (#976880)
Subject: Solid colored crankbaits

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on solid colored crankbaits? By that I mean a completely white bait, completely black bait, etc. Solid colored baits seem popular with many other types of baits, like bulldawgs, the classic black suick, or topwater. Another example is bondy baits, where solid black and solid pearl catch tons of fish, despite not being a complex or realistic paintjob.
I know of a fella on the St. Lawrence has caught some monsters trolling solid orange crankbaits. Aside from that I never really hear about solid colored crankbaits, and not many manufacturers make them. Would they just not sell well compared to the fancier patterns? Why are crankbaits the odd one out when it comes to simple plain schemes?
horsehunter
Posted 3/14/2021 8:39 AM (#976881 - in reply to #976880)
Subject: Re: Solid colored crankbaits

I've caught a lot of fish on solid black and some on a strawberry Believer that had most of the paint wore off so was basically white. Paint catches fishermen which is the first step in a lure catching fish. If it moves it's food.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/14/2021 9:01 AM (#976883 - in reply to #976880)

I've often thought there were too many crankbaits with a black back, and white belly. Sure it's natural, the profile looks much smaller in the water than a solid color. Also, any bars or patterns really just camouflage the lure, and break-up it's profile. Solid white and solid black are hard to beat if you are looking for a large profile.
yev14
Posted 3/14/2021 9:04 AM (#976884 - in reply to #976880)

I've caught a lot of fish on solid black and also solid white, but generally prefer some sort of contrast like the Jailbird color. That being said I've come to believe after doing this for a long long time that we the fishermen care a lot more about color than Muskies do.
horsehunter
Posted 3/14/2021 9:24 AM (#976885 - in reply to #976880)

I read a study somewhere ( may have been Dr. Bruce Tufts Queens University ) that they found the biggest triggering factor was vertical bars. I think his lab deals mostly with bass
joh10891
Posted 3/15/2021 8:03 PM (#976960 - in reply to #976880)
Subject: RE: Solid colored crankbaits

Thanks for all the input everyone. Another angle of solid colored cranks is with roll. Not to overanalyze, but on crankbaits with tons of roll, it can almost look like it's flashing in the water when it has a dark colored top and white belly. I feel like a solid color would suppress this visual effect. Haha honestly one of the things that makes me want to order more solid colored cranks is that muskies are so hard to pattern. With bondys, my main options are black or pearl, and I can actually figure out on a given day or lake whether they want black or pearl. Versus having muskie baits with every perch, cisco, firetiger, sucker, lemonhead, pike, etc color pattern under the sun and I'm just making an educated guess.
And horsehunter I think I remember seeing that study at some point, I don't recall all the details! I've gotta fish more more of the ol' classic yellow and black bar.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/16/2021 7:56 AM (#976966 - in reply to #976880)

Any color as long as its a matte black Suick
phselect
Posted 3/16/2021 11:35 AM (#976982 - in reply to #976880)

At the risk of being roasted on social media, I will go on record as saying I am a big fan of the white, straight Believer. The jointed ones get bit, too, however.
chuckski
Posted 3/19/2021 2:55 PM (#977160 - in reply to #976880)

Action trumps color! Like the one's that are wood color from catching so many fish.
OH Musky
Posted 3/21/2021 5:39 AM (#977206 - in reply to #976982)

phselect - 3/16/2021 12:35 PM

At the risk of being roasted on social media, I will go on record as saying I am a big fan of the white, straight Believer. The jointed ones get bit, too, however.

Yeah, you'd be flamed if this wasn't a fishing site. LOL.

Trying to think if I have anything that is a solid color but drawing a blank except for the solid while Lil' Ernies I hand painted with clown and bass colors. Every other lure I have has a pattern of some sort. I did paint a couple completely white for a trip to LSC after getting a tip from someone but that didn't result in any fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)