Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lightweight net setup?

Message Subject: Lightweight net setup?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 3/8/2021 4:40 PM (#976620)
Subject: Lightweight net setup?

Im shore fishing and I have an xl drifter tackle net (5 and a half pound ish), it's just a burden to hike miles with such a "heavy" net. Any recommendations? I don't need a giant hoop, but I wouldn't mind a net with some depth. The drifter net has a quality bag, but it is also overly heavy.
Esoxrox
Posted 3/8/2021 5:02 PM (#976623 - in reply to #976620)
Subject: Re: Lightweight net setup?

Never fished muskies from shore but is it necessary to net them? Maybe use a glove and a long handled needle nose or whatever pliers you use to remove the hooks.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/8/2021 5:13 PM (#976624 - in reply to #976620)

If you can find an old Beckman, they were really light, and pretty strong. The Drifter light has a similar hoop and bag, but the handle is lighter...maybe too light.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 3/8/2021 6:50 PM (#976635 - in reply to #976623)

Esoxrox - 3/8/2021 5:02 PM

Never fished muskies from shore but is it necessary to net them? Maybe use a glove and a long handled needle nose or whatever pliers you use to remove the hooks.

Wish I knew! I sure don't catch any haha
WhoppaChoppa
Posted 3/9/2021 1:13 AM (#976660 - in reply to #976620)

I fish from shore 100% of the time for muskies. I toyed with the net idea last year, but I ended up selling it after hating lugging it around. Hand landing really isn't that bad. The most important things for hand landing are tools and gloves. I carry a long needlenose and a knipex in the front pocket which are easily accessed with one hand. Jaw spreaders are a must and those are carried in a backpack. If it's a little bugger I just grab the lure with the pliers and shake him off. The big ones you need to move them into position and be real quick with a gill plate grab. Be sure to free spool and tuck the rod between your legs real tight. I have most luck from shore on topwaters like Top Raiders.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/9/2021 7:32 AM (#976664 - in reply to #976620)

Tackle Industries 9ft rods weigh about the same as a can of soda pop
ToddM
Posted 3/9/2021 8:13 AM (#976667 - in reply to #976620)

Only problem with a lighter net is it will have a thin mesh bag. Muskies will gator roll in it into a tight cocoon. Getting them out of it takes time.and you will be cutting hooks and sometimes the net by mistake. If the fishe's head is towards the top of the net now it's head is out of the water for that time period. I get your situation but this is something to consider.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 3/9/2021 9:19 AM (#976673 - in reply to #976667)

Found a net by EGO called the s2 slider, it is a 24 x 27 hoop with a 20 inch depth PVC coated bag. Weighs in at almost 3 pounds. Has an extendable handle (29"-60"). However, the downside is the weight ratings: 30 lbs with the handle retracted, 24 with it partially extended, 20 lbs at full extension. Thoughts on this net?
https://www.egofishing.com/products/s2-slider/xlarge-pvc-coated-net/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)